Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 08:07 PM

538 posts, read 1,362,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post

You do know that if you go out just a few miles into the gulf the water is blue all the time
Yep, that's correct. I've seen it, deep sea fishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but just because someone posted a picture on the internet, does not make it legit.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:26 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times
Just in case the photo at the beginning of the thread was "shopped," I will provide other pictures of the clarity that you can see at times in Houston area waters:

Kemah Boardwalk

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...8386-kemah.jpg

Galveston

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...5-39129554.jpg

Crystal Beach (Bolivar Peninsula)

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...unewalkway.jpg

Crystal Beach (Bolivar Peninsula)

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...381-defpic.jpg

I believe, that with innovation, inspiration, optimism, and big ideas, the Houston metro region will become a great force to reckon with. Diversity can be expanded in the economy, tourism will grow, and the waters in the pics above may become the constant color, not the fleeting instance it is today.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:29 PM

Much more believable, with the exception of the top one. You can tell by the building colors, that there was a filter used.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:32 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBornNRaised View Post
Much more believable, with the exception of the top one. You can tell by the building colors, that there was a filter used.
So the filters make the colors brighter but do not change them , right? Blue is still blue..!

Old 12-30-2013, 08:37 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default I've seen the water clear...

I used to go to Galveston quite a bit in the late eighties in the fall when the weather cooled, and as someone else mentioned, depending on the wind direction and currents, the water does clear up. I was wading about 30 feet or so from the beach and waste high water and I could see the sun, crystal clear, shimmering on what would have been my toes... I had waders on.

But the silt, and resulting "dirty" water is not that dirty biologically. With that water, the food chain really works well, from the phytoplankton on up resulting in quite a bit of marine life. And if you head out just five miles from the Seawall, you will hit crystal blue water as clear as the Caribbean. I think if you disturbed the "dirty" water, it would have other consequences along the coast and marshes.

So in other words, it will never happen, too political even if possible.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:45 PM

Galveston Bay (a good portion of it) once had extensive beach front, and shoreline. There was once a beach in La Porte (one of the most industrial parts of Greater Houston today); it was known as Sylvan Beach, and it was a nationally known tourist destination that attracted performers, and was complete with amusement parks, and amenities. However, due to the wake of industry, and land subsidence from groundwater extraction, the beachfront started eroding. Hurricanes also did their part, and soon, the beach disappeared due to erosion.

In recent times, though, there have been some projects around La Porte that have been restoring the beachfront of Galveston Bay, one cell at a time.

Sylvan Beach - La Porte

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...8388-pier6.jpg

Old 12-30-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
So the filters make the colors brighter but do not change them , right? Blue is still blue..!
So you're saying that you've seen blue, and I'm talking blue - water in Galveston before? I've seen it, the way it's represented in the second two, but only a few times. All other times, it's been brown.

Filter may not be the right term. I'm no photographer, but you can tell from the building colors, something is going on with that first one.

FWIW, I would kill for Galveston to have blue water. What Houstonian wouldn't?

Old 12-30-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I used to go to Galveston quite a bit in the late eighties in the fall when the weather cooled, and as someone else mentioned, depending on the wind direction and currents, the water does clear up.
Define "clear up". Clear up as in the first picture?

Old 12-30-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I used to go to Galveston quite a bit in the late eighties in the fall when the weather cooled, and as someone else mentioned, depending on the wind direction and currents, the water does clear up. I was wading about 30 feet or so from the beach and waste high water and I could see the sun, crystal clear, shimmering on what would have been my toes... I had waders on.

But the silt, and resulting "dirty" water is not that dirty biologically. With that water, the food chain really works well, from the phytoplankton on up resulting in quite a bit of marine life. And if you head out just five miles from the Seawall, you will hit crystal blue water as clear as the Caribbean. I think if you disturbed the "dirty" water, it would have other consequences along the coast and marshes.

So in other words, it will never happen, too political even if possible.
Good point.

One must study the relationship the silt has with the environment before he/she jumps the gun, and begins the project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston