U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-07-2007, 01:18 PM

4,554 posts, read 8,174,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
West coast beaches - depends where.

Last time I was in San Diego a few months ago, the beaches were not so great and there was some kind of warning to not swim in the water! On the other hand, we were in Galveston last month and it was great... cold, but the beaches were clean and the water was blue.
I love Galveston and its historic homes but ladies and gentlemen the water was not blue.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:22 PM

197 posts, read 17,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I love Galveston and its historic homes but ladies and gentlemen the water was not blue.
Yeah...I like going to Galveston to hang out when I have time, but pwright is right about the water--blue it is not.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:29 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 5,677,875 times
Galveston has about 10ft of sandy (public) beach, give or take some seaweed piles

Old 12-07-2007, 01:37 PM

7,712 posts, read 17,911,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houguy1087 View Post
Yeah...I like going to Galveston to hang out when I have time, but pwright is right about the water--blue it is not.

The water is "blue" in pictures only when the sun is up, the skies mostly clear, and the wind at least somewhat calm. The water acts like a mirror to the blue sky. Decent photographers know how to use this to their advantage.

Go dunk your clear glass cups into the Galveston waters one clear, calm, sunny day, and enjoy your Ovaltine!

Old 12-07-2007, 01:46 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,606,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I know it is, but it depends on what values our opinions are rooted in.
Ok.

Quote:
I wasn't saying that you were showing favoritism, person. I was saying that the people who decide where these artifacts should be placed are showing favoritism.
Yeah, still goes back to my point, pretty much every attraction can be explain away that way. Their attraction gets attention, its favoritism. Ours do not, its underrated.

Quote:
What have I sugarcoated about Houston? Rather than stating that some things were not that serious.
I suggest you reread your posts and then look at those posts where ppl have replied saying otherwise.

Quote:
I cannot speak for others. All I was saying is that I do not enjoy the West Coast beaches much more than I enjoy Galveston's beaches. You call my "taste" unique, when what you mean to say is inferior. On that note, I should remind you that you do not know me.
You said inferior, I said unique, On that note, I should remind you that you do not know me. From your posts, its does seem like your taste is unique, which is a good thing, you see beauty where others don't, especially when it comes to Houston, and you see ugly where others don't, when it comes to not Houston. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder is every true for you.

Quote:
Comments like that do nothing to make you look better. Only more transparent. Texas has a beautiful culture and history.
Remember context? Don't take away the context of what it was responding too. If you think its transparent, it means you are talking about your own original comment, which did nothing to make you look good.

Quote:
If people decide to listen to what other people think rather than find out for themselves, that's their problem.
Actually, people did find out for themselves, that's how ratings and reviews come about, include mine, I lived here now, and I certainly did find out for myself how lacking some stuff is here. It certainly validated what many others have said.

Quote:
No it actually boils down to what I said it boiled down to. And what lie about Houston have a told? What have I fabricated?
Lie is such a strong word. I wouldn't call it a lie as calling it making it more than it really is, and playing down the flaws.

Last edited by person; 12-07-2007 at 02:08 PM..

Old 12-07-2007, 02:02 PM

197 posts, read 17,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
The water is "blue" in pictures only when the sun is up, the skies mostly clear, and the wind at least somewhat calm. The water acts like a mirror to the blue sky. Decent photographers know how to use this to their advantage.

Go dunk your clear glass cups into the Galveston waters one clear, calm, sunny day, and enjoy your Ovaltine!
Maybe I need to go then?

Old 12-07-2007, 02:09 PM

7,712 posts, read 17,911,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houguy1087 View Post
Maybe I need to go then?

You should check it out, then if you want even more poo-poo brown, check out the waters of Clear Lake and Galveston Bay. Ick. I only visit that area at night to eat/drink because the water is such an eyesore. Landrys is a great local chain though.

Supposedly there is a little too much mercury in Clear Lake as well. Wasn't that the element used in making hats way back when? Hence the term "mad hatter?" Plenty of kooks in Clear Lake, for sure. That might be one explanation among many.

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/seafood/PDF2/Clear%20Lake_Panola%20Cty%20Q&A_2007.pdf (broken link)

Old 12-07-2007, 04:10 PM

1,887 posts, read 3,536,357 times
Yep, it's ugly. Excuse me...it's plain-looking. You see it, feel it and sense it.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:16 PM

2,572 posts, read 2,183,837 times
Galveston's beaches have their good days. From a distance, the water appears blue but close up, it still doesn't look prestine like what you'd find in Florida or the Islands.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/4181/a0du1.jpg (broken link)

Courtesy of Texasboy

Last edited by stoneclaw; 12-07-2007 at 05:26 PM..

Old 12-07-2007, 05:55 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,339,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post

LOL.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston