Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 06:08 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,573,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
Yeah, still goes back to my point, pretty much every attraction can be explain away that way. Their attraction gets attention, its favoritism. Ours do not, its underrated.
You're not stupid, person, so don't pretend you are. You know good and well that if someone had to choose where to place something between NY and Houston. New York wins.

Quote:
I suggest you reread your posts and then look at those posts where ppl have replied saying otherwise.
No sir. You felt inclined to point out that I sugarcoat, so feel inclined to give me an example. Back up your statement.

Quote:
You said inferior, I said unique, On that note, I should remind you that you do not know me. From your posts, its does seem like your taste is unique, which is a good thing, you see beauty where others don't, especially when it comes to Houston, and you see ugly where others don't, when it comes to not Houston. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder is every true for you.
What have I ever called ugly? I forgot. And I see beauty in all things that God has put here, which is the land that Houston was built on. But just because I say something isn't ugly, that doesn't mean I'm saying it's attractive. Those abandoned buildings? They were not ugly to me, but they weren't nice looking either.

And there's not a single thing about Houston that I've said that I was the only one who expressed that opinion. Someone has always agreed with me. And many who do not use this site. My views are not as unique and unshared as you would like to believe.

Maybe you didn't intend to say my opinions were inferior, but you did mean that unique views are reserved for those who really don't know what they're talking about.

Quote:
Remember context? Don't take away the context of what it was responding too. If you think its transparent, it means you are talking about your own original comment, which did nothing to make you look good.
Stop twisting stuff. You basically implied that Texas was not worth learning about. I took it for what it was.

Quote:
Actually, people did find out for themselves, that's how ratings and reviews come about, include mine, I lived here now, and I certainly did find out for myself how lacking some stuff is here. It certainly validated what many others have said.
Not unless every single person in the world is surveyed.

Quote:
Lie is such a strong word. I wouldn't call it a lie as calling it making it more than it really is, and playing down the flaws.
I only play down the flaws that are petty and irrelevant.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:32 PM

Here's what you said in another thread:

Quote:
I think you mean visitors, not tourists. The definition of a tourist is someone who travels for pleasure. Houston has a lots and lot of visitors, but many don't come as a tourist, but often as patient, a patient visitor and business visitor, or for a sports game. Our attractions are worth visiting if you are recovering or visiting someone in the medical center, or as a side attraction during a business trip, but not as a international travel destination. They is nothing wrong with that, it is wrong if we try to sell it as one. There are many things to see and do here, but for the same price, many other other cities offers world class attractions. We are however great as a regional shopping destination, especially from mexico.

We do have regional visitors who visits galleria for shopping.
And I have to disagree. Texas is more than worth a trip around the world for leisure. If you know how to have fun, rather than have major attractions tell you how to have fun.

Like I said before, they are called tourist traps for a reason and do absolutely nothing to present a vibe of that area.

Someone in Nepal may have heard all of the Texas stereotypes, so they decide to travel to Houston or Dallas and get a taste of the culture. Get some barbecue, soul food, or Tex-Mex, go to River Oaks theater and soak up an independent film, hit up the Cotton Bowl. They could even go to a Texas style bar for all I care.

To me, zoos, aquariums, water parks, museums, etc. are for the residents to enjoy. The residents who know the city well and just need something to do for the weekend. While the tourists should be getting busy visiting spots that aren't well known. In fact, "live" in that city for the few days they're there.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,878 times
Unhappy Houston Is What You Get

first and foremost I would like to point out that I'am not from Houston but a transplant. I have lived in Seattle, San Diego Atlanta, and Kentucky. I constantly travel across the country I can can honestly say that Houston is definitely not a beauty queen! but all of the cities that i have lived in or visited also have parts that are definitely not very attractive. Its interesting that most people all dwell on the fact that Houston ghettos and freeways make the city so unattractive but for all you people who's heads are in a fog lets take some much better know cities for example, San Diego, San Francisco, London, Toronto, Sydney and Paris all have have ghettos and run down building but unlike Houston city leaders and promoters do a good job of keeping them hidden and unmentioned. For instance I was on vacation in Miami (my first time) and I can tell you from driving around in the city, there are areas that are very beautiful physically and man-made but the city on a whole is one big ghetto, but you never here about that (unless you look at "The First 48" on A&E). Stop bashing Houston! Like it has been said before, If you hate it so much pack your bags and leave! America is one of the most least crowded countries. So if you do not like looking at litter, ugly buildings, bums, freeways, sprawl then move to the country or to some out of the way place where its just you and the birds! (am sure that some of you will even find complaits with that)

Old 12-07-2007, 08:47 PM

79 posts, read 394,690 times
LOL, so word's out that the water in Galveston isn't Mediterranean blue. Have only been a handful of times and yeah, it did look more like a bay than the ocean (bays can have their "good days" too). It's no Florida, not even SPI, but I still kinda like the coastal atmosphere.

And I have to agree with the Pope, the US Pacific may be beautiful but what do you actually DO when you get there? Get hypothermia? Don't get me wrong, I really LOVE the Pacific --- in Mexico. Granted, it makes a wonderful air conditioner for CA and gives pleasing scenery, but if your priorities were a good beach and nice water to swim in you probably would have moved to FL long ago

Old 12-07-2007, 09:16 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
You're not stupid, person, so don't pretend you are. You know good and well that if someone had to choose where to place something between NY and Houston. New York wins.

No sir. You felt inclined to point out that I sugarcoat, so feel inclined to give me an example. Back up your statement.

What have I ever called ugly? I forgot. And I see beauty in all things that God has put here, which is the land that Houston was built on. But just because I say something isn't ugly, that doesn't mean I'm saying it's attractive. Those abandoned buildings? They were not ugly to me, but they weren't nice looking either.
I think you are pretending here. I don't buy into the 'good attractions in NY aren't really good, its just that because its in NY' thing, or that 'its underrated attraction because its in Houston'. You want an example of the kind of posts you make? This is one right here, every other post reeks of it. Playing down what others have, and playing down what we don't have. It is normal to do that, its called bias, but yours seems off the deep end in deny. Like when we were talking about walkability, yes we have it, but don't try to pass it off that it is as good as the ones others have. Its always half truths and misleading things about Houston. And I don't know whether you see the irony in you wanting me to leave Houston and the forums. If you look back at my posts, I have only 300 plus posts, and maybe 1/2 is in houston forum, If you look at them, most are in response to your posts, If you look at my first few posts in the Houston section, they started as a response to yours. Of all the Houston promoters, yours loves to play down its flaws the most, sometimes to the point of absurd, and to the point of bringing down other places' attractions to make Houston look better. Everyone has bias, but if not for these posts of yours, I wouldn't even start posting here to make things right. You want to see where you try to sugarcoat, just look at mine posts that has yours in quote, because I was trying to point it out.

Quote:
And there's not a single thing about Houston that I've said that I was the only one who expressed that opinion. Someone has always agreed with me. And many who do not use this site. My views are not as unique and unshared as you would like to believe.
But they do it in the worship denial kind of way.

Quote:
Maybe you didn't intend to say my opinions were inferior, but you did mean that unique views are reserved for those who really don't know what they're talking about.
I say it as I intended it

Quote:
Stop twisting stuff. You basically implied that Texas was not worth learning about. I took it for what it was.
Seems like you are twisting it. I implied? you guessing? I implied there is no need to learn about it if there is no intention of visiting. Not like Texas culture is a everyday skill they need to have in everyday life.

Quote:
Not unless every single person in the world is surveyed.
Filed this along with all these excuses. When theirs are good, its favoritism, or its a tourist trap, When ours are bad, its underrated. Houston sure has a lot of excuses.

Quote:
I only play down the flaws that are petty and irrelevant.
Yeah. sure there are irrelevant.

Quote:
And I have to disagree. Texas is more than worth a trip around the world for leisure. If you know how to have fun, rather than have major attractions tell you how to have fun.

Like I said before, they are called tourist traps for a reason and do absolutely nothing to present a vibe of that area.

Someone in Nepal may have heard all of the Texas stereotypes, so they decide to travel to Houston or Dallas and get a taste of the culture. Get some barbecue, soul food, or Tex-Mex, go to River Oaks theater and soak up an independent film, hit up the Cotton Bowl. They could even go to a Texas style bar for all I care.
I see you brought the whole of Texas in to save Houston, even though the comment was specifically about Houston. To get the Texas stereotype kind of culture, I think other Texas cities do it better. So sure, have a vacation in other Texas destinations to get the Texas culture, but skip Houston unless you have other business here.
Quote:
To me, zoos, aquariums, water parks, museums, etc. are for the residents to enjoy. The residents who know the city well and just need something to do for the weekend. While the tourists should be getting busy visiting spots that aren't well known. In fact, "live" in that city for the few days they're there.
You want another sugarcoat example. here it is. Play down the importance of the attractions we are not good at. I bet you would say a different tune if these zoo aquarium attractions were top rated.

Its always either something like this or you put down the top rated attractions of other cities that Houston lacks.

Nice advice about exploring not well known places. I would advise the same, but for more exotic weird locations in the far east or south east asia, to get your time and money's worth. But since my friends want to visit the US and have limited vacation time and limited money saved up for it, I say visit somewhere in the US where you will actually get all your time and money's worth.

Last edited by person; 12-07-2007 at 10:47 PM..

Old 12-08-2007, 01:55 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,951,402 times
You cant compare the waters of Galveston to Florida.. are you mad? I will admit the waters of Galveston are brownish, but they are not nearly as bad as the waters in Gulfport Mississippi. What do you think makes them that way.. once you hit Alabama they start to clear up but just a few miles into Mississippi start to turn brown.

What do you think are better waters in Texas? Corpus Christi, Galveston, or Brownsville/Padre Island.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I think you are pretending here. I don't buy into the 'good attractions in NY aren't really good, its just that because its in NY' thing, or that 'its underrated attraction because its in Houston'. You want an example of the kind of posts you make? This is one right here, every other post reeks of it. Playing down what others have, and playing down what we don't have. It is normal to do that, its called bias, but yours seems off the deep end in deny. Like when we were talking about walkability, yes we have it, but don't try to pass it off that it is as good as the ones others have. Its always half truths and misleading things about Houston. And I don't know whether you see the irony in you wanting me to leave Houston and the forums. If you look back at my posts, I have only 300 plus posts, and maybe 1/2 is in houston forum, If you look at them, most are in response to your posts, If you look at my first few posts in the Houston section, they started as a response to yours. Of all the Houston promoters, yours loves to play down its flaws the most, sometimes to the point of absurd, and to the point of bringing down other places' attractions to make Houston look better. Everyone has bias, but if not for these posts of yours, I wouldn't even start posting here to make things right. You want to see where you try to sugarcoat, just look at mine posts that has yours in quote, because I was trying to point it out.

But they do it in the worship denial kind of way.

I say it as I intended it

Seems like you are twisting it. I implied? you guessing? I implied there is no need to learn about it if there is no intention of visiting. Not like Texas culture is a everyday skill they need to have in everyday life.

Filed this along with all these excuses. When theirs are good, its favoritism, or its a tourist trap, When ours are bad, its underrated. Houston sure has a lot of excuses.

Yeah. sure there are irrelevant.

I see you brought the whole of Texas in to save Houston, even though the comment was specifically about Houston. To get the Texas stereotype kind of culture, I think other Texas cities do it better. So sure, have a vacation in other Texas destinations to get the Texas culture, but skip Houston unless you have other business here.

You want another sugarcoat example. here it is. Play down the importance of the attractions we are not good at. I bet you would say a different tune if these zoo aquarium attractions were top rated.

Its always either something like this or you put down the top rated attractions of other cities that Houston lacks.
I'm going to go ahead and reply to all of this at once, because that's a lot of bull up above.

This has really gotten silly, and I'm seeing that you like to blow Houston's bad parts out of proportion, and in result say that I play down all of those parts. This makes it obvious that you have never read any of my posts where I go on and on about what I can't stand in Houston. What I can't stand about Houston. In your mind, mpope409 sees no wrong in Houston, but sees fault in every other city. That's the opinion you have of me, so I probably shouldn't bother trying to convince you otherwise.

Your ideals are very different from mine. I know the reason why, but I'd rather not mention it. I'm enjoying myself here, and you aren't. I'm sure you'll be happy when you don't have to endure Houston anymore.

The Houston Zoo is hideous, and I would love for ours to be designed more classically with red brick and iron. The Downtown Aquarium is corny and very un-adult like. How nice it would be if our fish bowl was prettier and bigger than the Georgia Aquarium. These are just a few examples of the things I wish were better. All I'm trying to tell you is that everyone does not agree with some of these things not being good enough. And all I'm disagreeing with is your comment that Houston is not worth a leisure trip.

You have high standards that Houston just doesn't reach.

Quote:
Nice advice about exploring not well known places. I would advise the same, but for more exotic weird locations in the far east or south east asia, to get your time and money's worth. But since my friends want to visit the US and have limited vacation time and limited money saved up for it, I say visit somewhere in the US where you will actually get all your time and money's worth.
Well to someone in Nepal, America is exotic and weird. Discovering Texas for them would be an adventure.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:57 AM

79 posts, read 394,690 times
Muhnay

SPI near Brownsville no question. Padre Island usually falls somewhere between Galveston and SPI, depends on the day you catch it. The water can be touch and go most places on the western gulf: just south of SPI for instance is Boca Chica, which is usually not nearly as pretty as South Padre.

South of Brownsville in Mexico there are some really nice spots along the Gulf, though the actual beaches are generally similar

Old 12-08-2007, 12:58 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonMax View Post
For instance I was on vacation in Miami (my first time) and I can tell you from driving around in the city, there are areas that are very beautiful physically and man-made but the city on a whole is one big ghetto, but you never here about that
Wow you sure hit Miami right on the head. The beautiful parts of Miami are more beautiful than the beautiful parts of Houston, but the bad parts of Miami are significantly worse than the bad parts of Houston. I feel safe all over Houston, but I never felt safe anywhere in Miami.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:13 PM

3,574 posts, read 3,074,173 times
One problem which I have seen in Houston more than in many other areas is a "so what" attitude toward ugliness than any effort to try and improve things. It has gotten much better in the last 5 years or so, mainly because of the Super Bowl, and I hope an attitude toward improvement prevails. I think we can thank our current mayor for this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston