Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 01:46 PM

5 posts, read 6,046 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I write this post to you because my back is against the wall in life.

Infect I am migrated from Pakistan to USA last year. I have Master Degree in Chemical Engineering (from University of Engineering & Technology, Lahore, Pakistan). I am Qualified Chemical Engineer having Experience of Six (6) Years in Process Engineering, Conceptual Designing, Process Modeling, Designing & Rating of Process Equipments based on Crude Oil and Natural Gas Processing Plants. For the past three months, I have been unsuccessful in getting job as a Process Engineer. I have applied through many job boards such as monster, CareerBuilder, indeed, ZipRecruiter and simply hired and no luck so far. I only applied to jobs in which I believed I was qualified with following requirements.

• Developed Process Flow Diagram, Utility Flow Diagram, Piping & Instrumentation Diagram and Utility Distribution Diagram.
• Performed simulation of Crude Oil Stabilization System, Glycol Dehydration System, Amine Sweetening System and Sour Water Stripping System.
• Performed sizing and rating of lines, pumps, compressors and control valves for single and mixed phases. Control Valve and Flow Element data sheets preparation.
• Pressure Vessels Design (Horizontal/Vertical Two Phase Separators, Instrument Air Receiver, Reflux/Surge Drums, LPG Bullets and Flare K.O. Drums)
• Scenario building & Relief load calculations, PSV sizing & Flare Header Sizing
• De-pressuring calculations
• Storage Tanks, Pressure & Vacuum Relief Valves and Emergency Vent sizing
• Preparation of Line Index, Instrument Index, Equipment List & Alarm & Set point list
• Cause & Effect Matrix
• Rating of Shell & Tube Heat Exchangers
• Participation in Hazard & Operability (HAZOP) Study.
• Proposal Engineering Work: ITB Documents, Manpower Deployment Plan, Inter-Discipline coordination.
• Coordinate with Vendors on Technical Issues in Procurement of Various Process Equipments and Instruments

So I don't necessarily have USA experience, and that's why I believe companies aren't responding but I have one year experience in UAE. I also applied on online websites of big engineering companies (KBR, Bechtel, CH2M.HILL etc.) but fail to have any Luck.

I want to know if there is anything else I can do to improve my chances of getting an interview. I'm just stuck right now, and don't know what else to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 02:22 PM

48 posts, read 88,456 times
Have you considered a degree in USA ! Nothing like it !

Old 01-13-2014, 04:53 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,330,630 times
Are you on linked in? Do you have any contacts who work for international companies? Maybe someone you went to school with?

Old 01-13-2014, 04:56 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,666,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movetohouton View Post
Have you considered a degree in USA ! Nothing like it !
You don't need a degree from the US for engineering.

I don't have any real advice for getting jobs. You just have to apply, interview, and cross your fingers.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:18 PM

18,039 posts, read 25,052,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
You don't need a degree from the US for engineering.

I don't have any real advice for getting jobs. You just have to apply, interview, and cross your fingers.
From what I see, a masters degree in anything will open a lot of doors for him

Old 01-13-2014, 05:58 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,276,354 times
I believe you need to start off with a junior position as a co-op or an intern just to get your foot inside these corporations. It might not pay well but will add to your US experience. You can also start some part time school and see how it goes. With the way things are in Houston, you might need some assistance from Head hunters or recruiters who specialize in your field. They might be able to work on your resume and target you to the right clients. Also, see if you can get any certifications which might overcome lack of US degree or experience. Good luck !!

Old 01-13-2014, 09:25 PM

246 posts, read 891,011 times
I think he need a NBA.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:52 PM

264 posts, read 438,656 times
Schneider Electric/Gutor seems to hire a lot of engineers from other countries.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:29 AM

552 posts, read 831,374 times
Honestly, degrees and experience doesn't really mean much these days with the job market the way it is.... it really is all about timing, luck, and who you know.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:28 AM

155 posts, read 265,860 times
Get yourself an account on Linkedin and start networking. I agree with the suggestion of getting some sort of certification in the US . That will give you an insight into US colleges, you can network , gain contacts..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: