Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2017, 10:00 PM

36 posts, read 36,244 times

Advertisements

Was born in Houston, 1956 & moved to Sugar Land when I was an infant. Was there until 1968 & moved to the Hill Country. Went back to visit family friends once or twice in the 70s & that was it. Knew someday I would go back & see my old home town, likely after retirement. Well, last Oct I got an invitation to the 100th anniversary of the church I grew up in. So I went & gosh it was like being in a time machine. On the way in those HUGE trees were something I'd forgotten. Cyprus maybe? Haven't seen them anywhere else in TX. Drove past both houses I grew up in. Looked just the same! But the trees were bigger. The church service was amazing. Met a few people I grew up with. We drove all over & saw places we used to go, like school, fishing, old friend's houses, etc. Most enjoyable 3 days I've had in years. One thing I soon noticed; People in Sugar Land are MUCH friendlier than where I live & work; Dallas/Fort Worth. On the road or face to face. People seem relaxed. Not wound up in a knot like here in D/FW. Just might retire there next year. Would love to make an offer on my old home. Probably not for sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 07:32 AM

694 posts, read 835,762 times
I guess it always feels good to go back home.

You should check out sugarland.com, see if you can find any one you know.

https://www.sugarland.com/message_board/

Old 01-31-2017, 10:18 AM

Thanks, I bookmarked that & will use it. Here's one I look over now & then. It's not very active but brings back memories for anyone in Sugar Land in the 50s & 60s.
Home | The Old Sugar Land Club House Discussion Forum

Old 01-31-2017, 03:38 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Well DFW is pretty much unanimously considered by TX (excluding DFWers) to be the most uppity and uptight part of the state.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:47 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
I thought this was going to be one of those "how my hometown has changed" threads, knowing how much the town has grown and changed over the past 30 years. That's good that you could still recognize the place. Maybe you spent time primarily in the older areas of town.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:48 AM

It did change a lot. My old homes on Lakeview St. & Kyle St. looked the same & I could reference my directions on the old sugar refinery building but the city surrounding it is huge now. I'd get lost venturing outside of familiar areas. Venetian Estates looked much the same, had school friends from there. I'd heard Sugar Land grew a lot but it still surprised me. Looking forward to another trip down there this coming fall. So many good memories there. I remember watching the Astrodome being built every trip to Houston. We went to the Sharpstown Mall & Westbury Square a lot in the 60s. Oddly it didn't feel as humid as I expected but I might feel it more in the summer.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:53 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,019,230 times
It's good that you got to see Sugar Land again. The part you explored hasn't changed much at all. Not sure if the Sugar Mill subdivision was around/completed when you were last here but that's probably all in that immediate vicinity. I think Belknap Brookside was all there in the 70s.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:21 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,205 times
Nice thread. A while back I visited my old neighborhood of Willowbrook, which is just east of Westbury. My old street really looks the same. We moved there 61 years ago. Unfortunately, Westbury Square is long gone, but there are a lot of positive changes going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston