Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 09:56 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times

Advertisements

Forget Exxon for the moment Occidental Petroleum is moving to Houston !

Los Angeles-based Occidental Petroleum Corp. (NYSE: OXY) announced early Friday that it is splintering off into two companies and moving its headquarters to Houston

Occidental Petroleum Corporation moving to Houston - Houston Business Journal

This is a major oil and gas company folks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 10:08 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
great news! i wonder if they will occupy that new office tower under construction in Greenway or if there is room to expand in Greenway 3 & 5 where they currently have a lease.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:42 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,041 times
Nice! Another company for my Exxon friends to move to. My friends at Exxon said as many as 50% of young people will quit Exxon rather than commuting or moving to the Woodlands. I think everyone I know is quitting or has already left.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:46 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Good for Houston! Great for those of us in the energy sector!!!

Another blow to the anti-energy (traditional) policies of California.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:24 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Good for Houston! Great for those of us in the energy sector!!!

Another blow to the anti-energy (traditional) policies of California.
You realize that California is the 4th largest oil producing state

Old 02-14-2014, 11:35 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,894 times
No Brainer ! Paying attention Chevron, you should be the next Cal O&G company to get the heck-out-of-that state which hates you and come to a place to where you are respected and appreciated. But Oxy - great American company with a
fascinating history.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:37 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Actually its third...and continuing to decline.

Crude Oil Production

Old 02-14-2014, 12:14 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
Nice! Another company for my Exxon friends to move to. My friends at Exxon said as many as 50% of young people will quit Exxon rather than commuting or moving to the Woodlands. I think everyone I know is quitting or has already left.
I believe your friends are only talking with others that are their friends, believing their small viewpoint is the same viewpoint as everyone elses...the bubble syndrome as its known. I knows dozens of Exxon employees excited about the move...Most of the excited ones are between 30 and 35, with kids...been in town for a few years, seen 50% or better appreciation on their home. Looking forward to buying new bigger homes in the woodlands for the same price as their small in town home.

I can see a 20 something not wanting to leave the city, I can see people without kids not wanting to leave the city, I can see socially liberal, or artsy people not wanting to leave the city. I just don't see most people caring.

I have yet to meet anyone who is upset about the move, and I know dozens, and have multiple more who are customers of mine.

Bottom line is that the market for engineers is strong, Exxon has a great environment, great benefits, even a pension - if those guys can get good jobs to stay in the city good for them. Exxon will have zero, literally zero, problem replacing them with equally qualified individuals.

The market for engineers in the O&G field for young people is very competitive...more applicants than jobs...if those young people don't already have other jobs lined up, I predict that 50% quitting number gets far far closer to 4-5% When it comes down to it, people are all talk and money speaks louder than words.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:17 PM

135 posts, read 179,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
In all fairness, those sound like moderately replaceable jobs. I can assure you than Exxon will run just fine (from an OPEX standpoint, more profitably) at it's new HQ, even if they lose 50% of the "young". But we are fortunate to live in a city where many have the luxury of picking a job based on location.

Last edited by J_Treehorn; 02-14-2014 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-14-2014, 12:33 PM

960 posts, read 2,750,239 times
That's another way to downsize in a nice way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston