Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 08:12 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,296,407 times

Advertisements

Richmond, Shepherd, Kirkwood, Dairy Ashford, Wilcrest, Briar Forest the list goes on and on. In some places they have kept metal slabs for ages and they don't want to remove them or repair the road underneath. I believe some of the roads in the city are not car friendly at all. Most of the people here drive trucks so they have no issues. We have trucks in Dallas too but still the roads were way better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 08:18 AM

504 posts, read 1,149,686 times
yup, they suck.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:30 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,309 times
Lots of really bad roads on the west 'rich' side. I do not remember seeing a bad patch in Alief tho. We do have lots of complete sewer and full street repaving going on here non-stop it seems

Old 02-19-2014, 10:03 AM

114 posts, read 301,487 times
Richmond Ave is the worst i ve seen between Hilcroft to Sage Road....Horrible. Its been like that for the last 7 years that i know of....

Old 02-19-2014, 11:39 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times
The roads in Houston are bad, no reason to sugarcoat it. BTW I could care less about other cities roads, I'm talking about the roads I'm dealing with everyday.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:25 PM

360 posts, read 665,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
We are a very spread out city with lots of problems. We would have to pass a lot of bonds to pay for it all. I would vote for a tax raise to fix roads. It will take a nice hike. And, Rich River Oaks has some pretty good roads. I have driven all parts of River Oaks and I am not even sure if I remember seeing one pot hole. Lower Westheimer needs it worse than any street.

ALL parts of River Oaks? I HAD to comment because they have many, many, many potholes/craters in this area. Perhaps the neighborhood streets within the community are what you're referring to - those aren't bad. However, the major thoroughfares in this area are horrendous.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:39 PM

360 posts, read 665,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
OK, guys, I'm in the camp that think the roads here are unusually bumpy. Maybe it's just because I grew up here and I now drive a car that doesn't soften out the bumps. But ... I have spend a lot of time driving and riding around other parts of the world, and I never experience it like here. In particular, I spend a lot of time in LA and southern CA because I have family there, but I never experience it there.

My boss is from the UK and has lived around the world and thinks it is because we have cheaply constructed roads. I have heard that idea, but I have also heard people say that our roads are not cheaply built, but that we have unusually unstable clay soil.

Any thoughts on these suggestions?

I think it's a combination of several things. First, there's probably a general lack of funding for infrastructure because the city is so expansive. Second, as a lifelong Houstonian (minus a few years) I'm familiar with how often and how badly it used to flood here. Before they started building all the retention ponds around here (which I think started after TS Allison in 2001) one thunderstorm could flood huge areas. I'm sure all of that flooding took a toll on the soil beneath the roads. Third, they never really "fix" the roads. If they do get around to repairing a pothole, crack, or even an entire street, they fill it with that god-awful black tar crap that seems to buckle and melt if it gets to hot outside. Or they slap a metal sheet on top of it indefinitely. Fourth, I'm pretty sure our super hot summers affect the soil some kind of way and cause cracks/potholes in the street - I'm not scientist or civil engineer, but I'm just sayin'.

Anyway, I lived in Southern Cali and the country panhandle of Florida and their roads were quite nice. I never knew how bad ours were until I left the city. I did notice one thing that Houston doesn't do that San Diego did - they repaired their roads early, instead of waiting for them to be almost completely intolerable like they do in Houston. They also repaired roads at night and rarely shut down freeways. I still don't understand why construction teams in Houston will work on roads in the middle of rush hour or shut down huge areas of freeway for entire weekends.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:41 PM

433 posts, read 660,336 times
I don't thinktheyre any worse than LAs. No idea about the other big car cities

Old 02-19-2014, 02:46 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo45 View Post
I don't thinktheyre any worse than LAs. No idea about the other big car cities
I think they're much worse than LA.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:36 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
I think they're much worse than LA.
It probably depends upon the area, just like here. I know that 5 years ago, many of the road in City Of Industry/Whitier were horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston