U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 03:03 PM

66 posts, read 140,176 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am shopping around and getting standard security package with ADT for $45/month+tax
I think it is bit higher

Can you guys advice me on how much it should cost for monitoring system?

Are there any recommendation for another provider?

Also,

Looking for cheap electricity and internet provider in Cinco Ranch NW, katy area

Please advice

Thx!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 03:42 PM

2,164 posts, read 2,739,619 times
Call Ethan a/ ADT 713-493-8426. See what he can do for you.
Call Reliant and ask about their Conserve plans.
Call Comcast for Internet. It's the fastest you will find.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:13 PM

47 posts, read 67,454 times
Call smith thompson for security. Its $17 cell phone monitor with no contract. Adt is ripoff

internet comcast/entouch both are not god but you have no option. Comcast will have less service outages. Entouch is fiber optic but too many outages and will take few days to fix.

For electricy go to power2 choose.org wesite to compare and choose the providor you like

Old 02-20-2014, 06:56 PM

66 posts, read 140,176 times
How much do you guys pay for ur home security?

Old 02-20-2014, 07:24 PM

29 posts, read 38,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samaker View Post
Call smith thompson for security. Its $17 cell phone monitor with no contract. Adt is ripoff

internet comcast/entouch both are not god but you have no option. Comcast will have less service outages. Entouch is fiber optic but too many outages and will take few days to fix.

For electricy go to power2 choose.org wesite to compare and choose the providor you like
I agree on the home security. We have Smith Thompson and have been very happy with their price. We've had a couple of false alarms due to our dogs but they call and we straighten everything out.

Internet we have comcast. Not great but not awful. Seems like we need to reset our router anytime there is down time on us using the internet.
I agree powertochoose is good to check out. We went with TXU for our area.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:35 PM

681 posts, read 1,536,134 times
The only thing I didn't like about Smith Thompson is you can't do anything online. With ADT you can make any changes or updates online without having to call. Price is good but features and options are lacking.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:36 PM

2,052 posts, read 4,279,629 times
We have a smaller company that monitors our alarm system which was installed by the builder. $21 a month. Omni Alarm.

ADT was reasonable before we changed as they took over another company we had and honored their $19.99 rates, but they decided to go to quarterly only billing, so I ditched them.

Smith Thompson is about the best deal I've seen.

As for internet, we use AT&T Uverse right now. I don't need the fastest, and it costs a good bit less than Comcast. I swore off cable TV, internet and everything from the cable companies when they screwed me on a cable box return. Swore I would never use them again, all over a $25 charge.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:55 PM

2,164 posts, read 2,739,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudecrazy555 View Post
How much do you guys pay for ur home security?
We pay $45 monthly but I have their pulse system with all the bells and whistles.

It's not necessarily what your home and the things inside are worth but what is your families safety worth?

I would do some reading on Smith Thompson call centers and their response time.

You get what you pay for in this case. Customer service means a lot to me and ever since we have had ADT I have nothing but great things to say about them. I got quotes from several different providers in the area. ADT, Central, Vivint, Comcast, and a few others. ADT just had the best ratings, response times, most call centers and back ups to handle emergencies. That is what sold me.

As far as electric providers. I checked them all as well. We don't use a lot of power monthly so our usage is almost always below 1000 kWh and all the other companies (champion, amigo, startex, ambit, etc) wanted to charge me a fee for every month if we didn't go over 1000 kWh. With Reliant I pay 4.6 cent per kWh and a delivery charge. You just have to keep asking for a better deal.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:42 PM

2,365 posts, read 3,762,829 times
Go with Smith. Less than half the price for the same service.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:23 AM

152 posts, read 323,189 times
Smith Thompson. I have their most basic plan, but I know they offer additional services. The two times in the past six months that our system was set off by accident, they were calling my cell phone within a minute or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston