Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 02:34 PM

19 posts, read 47,664 times

Advertisements

Currently I am considering accepting admission to either the University of Houston Law Center or Emory Law in Atlanta. I am originally from Memphis, TN and went to undergrad at Ole Miss. However, I am not a SUPER REBEL fan like many at Ole Miss; I just want a quality education and great job opportunities after school. I want to hear from students, lawyers, or professionals in Houston or Atlanta on the job prospects between the two and their reputation in and outside of the cities where they are located. As for cost, I received in-state tuition and a $45,000 scholarship at Houston and a $105,000 scholarship at Emory. That leaves me having to take out about the same to cover the rest of tuition for each school($15,000 a year each). Living expenses would be about the same. And I can see myself beginning my legal career in either Atlanta or Houston(similar climates, cost of living, bad traffic, etc). Any help, advice, or guidance would be greatly appreciated. It can be broad or specific--just whatever you feel like sharing or feel that may be important to a potential student of law in these two cities. If it matters, I am black; but I am definitely cultured and get along with anybody. I just want to be in a place that will give me a good education and job prospects, be in a place that I can afford, and be in a place that I can enjoy the last 3 years of my non-career-working life. Thanks for all comments.

P.S. PLEASE DON'T TURN THIS INTO A BATTLE OF THE CITIES WITHOUT FACTS(though the battle rants are quite amusing). I don't mind contrasting the two and telling me the differences, but please don't just be ranting about how one is better than the other without supporting facts.

P.S.S. You all can rant on which city has more beautiful women. Though it definitely wont be a deciding factor, I wouldn't mind knowing since I AM still young! lol

Old 02-25-2014, 02:56 PM

370 posts, read 608,788 times
University of Houston Law, facts not be needed. They are both good law schools, however If I were going to be practicing in Texas, I would want a law degree from the school that's in the city or state. Just preference when getting hired at Law Firms, some don't mind though.

Good Luck to you and Welcome to City-Data

Old 02-25-2014, 03:14 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,001,050 times
Emory has more cache and would be the better choice if the dollar figures are equivalent. Ultimately it would give you better flexibility to start your career anywhere in the US, and UH law doesn't really offer that.

You could try negotiating scholarship terms at UH. If you got into Emory, I'm sure UH would be thrilled to have you enroll. There may be a point at which UH is more attractive if you get more scholarship money.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:16 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,962,241 times
Whichever one that have a better chance of getting you a job, which i feel right now is Emory. I have met couple of unemployed law graduates the last couple years and read enough horror stories to tell you this is a different world from 6 years ago.

What is the same is the top law school will still be heavily recruited. UH is not one of them.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:17 PM

19 posts, read 47,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
Emory has more cache and would be the better choice if the dollar figures are equivalent. Ultimately it would give you better flexibility to start your career anywhere in the US, and UH law doesn't really offer that.

You could try negotiating scholarship terms at UH. If you got into Emory, I'm sure UH would be thrilled to have you enroll. There may be a point at which UH is more attractive if you get more scholarship money.

Great point! I will definitely look into doing that.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:23 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,784,699 times
Closed, pending moderation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: