Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 11:37 AM

89 posts, read 125,990 times

Advertisements

New 6 Houston Center Tower Will Put Another Notch in the Downtown Skyline | Swamplot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 12:21 PM

568 posts, read 901,083 times
The rendering is new but we've known about this building for years. Looks much better than the previous renderings.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:46 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
I don't think its any secret now, 2013 & 2014 are boom years for Houston.

Its quite possibly the fastest growing skyline in America bar none.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:50 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
I view any new construction as indications of a positive view of our future economic conditions and welcome it.

I like a booming Houston. It provides more of a tax base for improved infrastructure.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I don't think its any secret now, 2013 & 2014 are boom years for Houston.

Its quite possibly the fastest growing skyline in America bar none.
I thought I saw a table, posted on CD somewhere, with the number of highrises being built in different cities, and, if memory serves me, Houston was 4th or 5th. I think (like I said - memory) Miami was number 1.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:55 PM

693 posts, read 1,107,334 times
Quote:
It provides more of a tax base for improved infrastructure.
Sorry I am way too cynical to believe this. Improvements don't happen unless developers can make lots of money after they have lined the politicians' pockets.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:01 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
The rendering in the Chronicle this morning looked pretty sweet. Like a less rounded-looking Mainplace/BG Group Place.

Looks more like a Zippo than a BIC.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It provides more of a tax base for improved infrastructure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
Sorry I am way too cynical to believe this. Improvements don't happen unless developers can make lots of money after they have lined the politicians' pockets.
Building like this do increase the amount of taxes coming in, that's just a fact. (Yes, sometimes buildings are given deferments or temporary reprieve, but those are fairly rare, and always temporary).

I agree that it doesn't guarantee those increased funds are used for infrastructure all the time; however, the tax base that can be used for infrastructure has been increased.

As far as politicians lining their own pockets and money being wasted, that's something the TEA Party wants to straighten out, but too many people think it's a horrible idea and prefer business as usual with politicians leaving office as mulch-millionaires (I wonder how that happens? - sarcasm).

Old 02-27-2014, 04:05 PM

5,610 posts, read 4,932,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Building like this do increase the amount of taxes coming in, that's just a fact. (Yes, sometimes buildings are given deferments or temporary reprieve, but those are fairly rare, and always temporary).

I agree that it doesn't guarantee those increased funds are used for infrastructure all the time; however, the tax base that can be used for infrastructure has been increased.

As far as politicians lining their own pockets and money being wasted, that's something the TEA Party wants to straighten out, but too many people think it's a horrible idea and prefer business as usual with politicians leaving office as mulch-millionaires (I wonder how that happens? - sarcasm).
Unless a developer is trying to get a specific piece of infrastructure built (often through TIRZ creation or a Chapter 380), or trying to get some sort of rule relaxed, there's really no reason to pay off the politicians. In other cities, zoning and the approval process provide incentive for corruption. Here, if you're meeting the rules and are OK with existing infrastructure, the City can't deny you approval.

Now, the fact that this is Houston's approach is a result of politican-developer coziness from way way back. But, it's a good system, much better than one which encourages payoffs and kickbacks on a project-by-project basis in order to get a zoning change or a politician's public support during P&Z-type approvals where capriciousness is the order of the day. It also makes development much cheaper and helps keep Houston affordable, as well as enabling rapid large-scale redevelopment of run down areas (like Washington Avenue corridor) that benefits the city.

What people don't seem to get is that it's PUBLIC projects where the corruption occurs. Construction and engineering companies pay politicians off all the time in order to advance road/infastructure/etc. projects that they get to work on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: