Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 06:33 PM

501 posts, read 300,330 times

Advertisements

I am in process of a tentative house search, and due to various circumstances the houses I am looking at are in Lakes of Eldridge area or in Jersey Village. Now I read up on LoE and kinda understand the area - gated, kinda insular, lots of expats, etc. How is Jersey Village?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 06:52 PM

6,263 posts, read 7,418,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
I am in process of a tentative house search, and due to various circumstances the houses I am looking at are in Lakes of Eldridge area or in Jersey Village. Now I read up on LoE and kinda understand the area - gated, kinda insular, lots of expats, etc. How is Jersey Village?
Jersey Village is a municipality of its own, meaning they have their own Police Department. It is not a gated community and is older and more established than LOE. LOE also has a large ex-pat community which JV doesn't. Both are in the Cy-Fair ISD. Both are convenient to US 290 and Beltway 8.

I hope this helps !

Last edited by Jack Lance; 03-06-2014 at 07:18 PM..

Old 03-06-2014, 07:19 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,962,766 times
If school is important, you might want to look elsewhere. I know couple of people that moved out recently as the school is getting worse.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:19 PM

Well, since both LoE and Jersey Village's public schools are far from top notch, I was considering sending the kiddo (she's 2 1/2 now) eventually to a private school. Jersey Village is not best located for good private schools, but what can you do - it is very well located for Monarch or Westview, which is why we're looking in that area.

What is Jersey Village like in the sense of public safety/crime, shopping convenience, restaurants etc? Kinda hard to get the sense of it from far away.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:37 PM

6,263 posts, read 7,418,889 times
Quote:
Well, since both LoE and Jersey Village's public schools are far from top notch, I was considering sending the kiddo (she's 2 1/2 now) eventually to a private school. Jersey Village is not best located for good private schools, but what can you do - it is very well located for Monarch or Westview, which is why we're looking in that area.

What is Jersey Village like in the sense of public safety/crime, shopping convenience, restaurants etc? Kinda hard to get the sense of it from far away.
As far as crime it is as safe as you can get, I would rank it up there with Bellaire or the Memorial villages in that department. Shopping you have a lot of individual retailers off 290, Academy, Home Depot stuff like that. Memorial City is a short jog down Beltway 8 as is City Centre, Willowbrook is an option as well to the north, some people think Northwest Mall is iffy but it is convenient as well. In that immediate area though there is not much besides grocery stores and strip centers...

Old 03-06-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
As far as crime it is as safe as you can get, I would rank it up there with Bellaire or the Memorial villages in that department. Shopping you have a lot of individual retailers off 290, Academy, Home Depot stuff like that. Memorial City is a short jog down Beltway 8 as is City Centre, Willowbrook is an option as well to the north, some people think Northwest Mall is iffy but it is convenient as well. In that immediate area though there is not much besides grocery stores and strip centers...
Thanks. Is it (for the lack of a better term and I know that's pretty subjective) a "good place to live"?

Also - from reading I understand that the Beltway 8 is not a big nightmare to drive in terms of peak hour traffic, is it? At least compared to something like I10?

Last edited by Terr; 03-06-2014 at 09:14 PM..

Old 03-06-2014, 09:43 PM
fnh

2,887 posts, read 3,885,339 times
I disagree with ipuck. I don't live in JV but live nearby in 77040. I do send my kids to private school BUT that has more to do with living in TX rather than with these particular schools. I hear very positive comments about schools in this area, specifically Gleason/Cook/JV. These schools have very strong parental and community involvement and we do consider them as bona fide options for our own children should we not continue at our current private school or commute cross-country to schools in Seattle where we have a second home.

Jersey Village is an older suburb but it is leafy and well kept and well-situated, being not too far from Houston's downtown, west side or north side. It's a very livable area with all amenities nearby. Personally I think the northwest area around the beltway is an under-appreciated gem - nice homes, convenient location, solid schools, low crime. I'm biased since I live here, it's true, but honestly we can afford to live anywhere we choose.

The beltway can back up but no, in my experience it isn't as bad as the freeways. I've had to take DC to the med center many a morning from NW Houston and via the beltway/Westpark it takes 40-45 minutes at rush hour. That is much much further than the Monarch School to/from which you can also take surface streets.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:00 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,863,786 times
Quote:
A lot of Vietnamese.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:18 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,955,917 times
I am bias towards lakes of E. cause I live close by. In my opinion, Lakes of E is pricier and exclusive, good area, within 15mins to great restaurants, shopping, city centre, hospitals in memorial or texas children on I 10 towards Katy. Easy access to i10

As for traffic, lets be real. Houston is bad everywhere. During rush hour.

Good luck

Old 03-06-2014, 10:23 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,018,560 times
jersey village is pretty junky. the traffic around 6, 290, 8, 529 are nightmares at any hour of the day or night. if you can afford it live in a more bubble suburb or live in the city of houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston