Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 10:42 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,296,407 times

Advertisements

Folks,

I am having hard time getting the paper work approved for the sprinkler system & landscape lighting at a house I recently purchased. I submitted the HOA application fee and all the necessary documents surveys, layout, installation plan on sheet of paper from service provider (sprinkler heads, manufacturer etc etc) only to have the so called agricultural committee reject my application. Now they have asked me to resubmit the application with the following

1) Provide layout of the irrigation heads on a copy of lot survey, closing papers
2) Photograph showing the lighting selected and the wattage/lumens
3) Refundable Deposit

Had I known these complex requirements and excruciating process, I would have paid the builder install the irrigation system. Is this normal? Does everyone in HOA goes through this? What are my options besides watering the lawn myself (5 or 6 zones). It isn't big but I don't want to do it in the summer.

I have asked the service provider to provide 1 & 2 for me. Initially he had written everything on a paper and drew the plan and layout with hand. I submitted those papers but looks like they weren't good enough. Does anyone know who can do all that on a survey document? Just looking for options and feedback for people who went through similar experience with their pesky HOA? Perhaps, maybe suggestions from a sprinkler system installer who has gone through all this? Any recommendations?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 10:57 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
I have a small HOA (<20 units), we just get it installed after discussing in a meeting.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:59 PM

Wish that was the case with me. I would have brought everyone beer and showed them the plan from the landscaping expert. But unfortunately, these guys took the application fee and rejected my application as if I am asking them for a loan...

Old 03-06-2014, 11:38 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
On the one hand, they should have noted everything they would need but on the other hand you do want this done. Too bad you have to pay twice.

It may be the Ag Committee knows nothing at all about these things and also just got busy doing other things and now got back to it.

I have known people so fed up in my last community they just went ahead and added on that deck. They had professionals doing it, got the permits, etc. One couple protested the slowness, saying you had however many months and we're giving notice that we don't want to lose our window in time so we will go ahead with it if we don't hear from you by [a determined date]. And the manager at that time was really taken aback. He was shocked he couldn't just go along at a much slower speed.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:53 AM

430 posts, read 1,256,371 times
I actually joined the Architectural Control Committee in my community when I saw how difficult they made it for homeowners to get timely answers to requests. In our community, underground sprinklers were a requirement when the homes were built so we don't get applications for that particular item; however, I would guess they want the sprinkler heads noted on an actual survey to ensure they don't encroach on neighbors' properties and/or to ensure they aren't placed in certain utility easements. As for providing a photograph and details of the lighting you plan to use, that's not unusual. I'm sure you're putting in tasteful lighting, but you'd be surprised by some of the lights people want to put in. Two examples we've had to deal with: 1. Lights that go through continuous color changes shining on their trees, and 2. Large shiny art deco lights in a community of nothing but Mediterranean style homes. NOTE: I don't know about your community, but in our community a homeowner can commence with their project if they do not hear from the committee within 30 days of submitting their application. Most homeowners aren't aware of this, but it's right there in the governing documents we were given at closing.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:12 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,869,623 times
You have to pay for an application?!?! Never heard of that before. You aready pay your HOA fees, and the people on the committee are volunteers, unless they farm it all out to the management company or something.

For our neighborhood, all we have to do is make a photocopy of the survey that came with our closing paperwork, and draw on it where everything is to be located, for the 3 times I've done it. But when we got our sprinkler installed, we used a company that most of our neighbors used simply because they were in and out and done in 1/2 a day, for 9 zones on a 1/4 acre lot. You could not really tell anything was disturbed unless you really looked for it. The HOA never knew and never asked about it!

Good luck!

Old 03-07-2014, 11:46 AM

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the valuable info. Yes I did pay the non refundable application fee and now I have to pay $75 refundable fee. I have the feeling that there is a sprinkler company the HOA wants us to use and since we are not using them they are giving us a hard time. Either way I will call and explore my options.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:02 PM

430 posts, read 1,256,371 times
I'm surprised about the application fees, as well. It seems ridiculous that they charge a fee at all for something as minor as this; to have it be non-refundable is just ridiculous. As trbstang noted, the people reviewing these applications are volunteers. I'd ask where this money goes. We don't charge application fees for anything except pools (refundable) and new builds (non-refundable).

Old 03-07-2014, 01:28 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
Since volunteers have been mentioned a few times and joining a committee I'd like to say that's a nice idea. And I have seen that in numerous hoa's. However, several others including our last one the committee head was appointed by the board and on the important committees like archetecture and community property features, the members were also appointed. Going to every meeting and knowing people on the board, I and even my friends on he board had no idea how the names of the committee turned up because there was no talk or vote about it. It was that small group that made all the important decisions. Now, the social committee, and other minor groups...book club, etc...you could volunteer.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:21 AM

243 posts, read 799,471 times
why would you ask you HOA if you can install landscape lighting? don't ya know the HOA only works 9-3. the chances of them doing a night drive is 0000000000000!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston