Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 07:40 AM

48 posts, read 69,545 times

Advertisements

I have done a search but have not found exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance. Husband has a job opportunity in Missouri City, Tx. He has been to Houston several times for business trips and is impressed with its museums, theater, and friendliness of city. Our children (daughter-8 and son-5)and I (stay at home mom) haven't visited yet, but plan to shortly. Please help us narrow our search.

1. I already know that anyone with allergies/asthma will continue to have them/develop new allergies in new places, but how bad is it out by Missouri City? Is the air quality markedly better than Houston? I am very concerned about Houston's air quality as it is pollution is a trigger for me.

2. Are there good allergists? Our daughter currently receives shots which seem to be helping.

3. We have arthritis in which is triggered by weather changes and barometric pressure changes. Is the weather there more stable? In the Midwest it is very up and down with constant changes and fronts coming through. Anyone have any insight?

4. Initially, we'd rent(either apt, house/townhse) until our house sold here and we found a good community match. We are looking for no more than a 30 min commute from Missouri City where it's safe (kids playing outside, no crime), the air is clean, schools are good, nice family-friendly community, girls' gymnastics team, tennis, and a community pool for around 200k + or -. Is this reasonable?

5. How much can we expect to pay for insurance? We are considered a tornado risk and pay slightly more here. What about there, do we need flood, hurricane insurance?

6. What are some surprise costs that are new to outsiders?

7. How are the bugs? Does one need an exterminator?

8. Have I missed anything?

9. For people with a mold allergy, can you smell it in the air?

10. Do you get used to the humidity?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 08:04 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,641,690 times
I live in Sugar Land, which is right next to Missouri City. As for allergies, I have allergies, and it really depends on what you are allergic to. I have lived in 5 different states including Texas, and the things I am the most allergic to are Oak (bad for here) and Kentucky Blue Grass (bad for where I came from...Maryland). I love my allergist (Dr. Joseph Perez) in Sugar Land. He has been great for helping me manage my allergies. Air quality down here isn't the best, but you deal with it. The hot summers surely don't help with the air quality though.

I do not have hurricane or tornado insurance in Sugar Land. Our insurance is still high though. I don't know what you pay to compare it to, however. Flood insurance is recommended.

We do have an exterminator. I can't stand the spiders. Not everyone has one though, so I don't think it is a necessity. But, yes, we have bugs. Lots of them in the area.

I do have a mold allergy, but I don't smell it. I don't think I do anyway.

We have had a lot of up and down weather this winter. But in the summer it is just hot. Plain hot from late April till October.

You can probably find a house in your range. Check har.com for listings.

Surprise costs include property taxes. They are high here, so figure that into your mortgage payment.

The humidity stinks, but yeah, you just deal with it. That is why we have air conditioning! And I don't miss winters where the high is 6 degrees and we have mountains of snow around, so the trade off is worth it to me.

I am a stay at home mom with kids similar in age to you (9, 8, 4), and I love the area.

Good luck and congrats on the job!

Old 03-13-2014, 09:53 AM

Thanks for the info. I am interested in having others confirm this. Thanks again!

Old 03-13-2014, 11:03 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,667,242 times
I have done a search but have not found exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance. Husband has a job opportunity in Missouri City, Tx. He has been to Houston several times for business trips and is impressed with its museums, theater, and friendliness of city. Our children (daughter-8 and son-5)and I (stay at home mom) haven't visited yet, but plan to shortly. Please help us narrow our search.

1. I already know that anyone with allergies/asthma will continue to have them/develop new allergies in new places, but how bad is it out by Missouri City? Is the air quality markedly better than Houston? I am very concerned about Houston's air quality as it is pollution is a trigger for me.

You can also develop allergies with age. Mine seemed to have changed over my years. They were bad growing up. Great in my 20s and now bad again in my late 30s. Pollution is not much of a trigger to allergies. Allergies are generally seasonal. The worst seems to be cedar blooming from the hill country.

2. Are there good allergists? Our daughter currently receives shots which seem to be helping.
Yes, I would recommend Rosewood ENT. This is the best place in Houston. I personally like Dr Dickey.

3. We have arthritis in which is triggered by weather changes and barometric pressure changes. Is the weather there more stable? In the Midwest it is very up and down with constant changes and fronts coming through. Anyone have any insight?

Our weather is wacky here. I went to college in the Midwest. Our weather changes just as much. Maybe you need to see a rheumatologist.

4. Initially, we'd rent(either apt, house/townhse) until our house sold here and we found a good community match. We are looking for no more than a 30 min commute from Missouri City where it's safe (kids playing outside, no crime), the air is clean, schools are good, nice family-friendly community, girls' gymnastics team, tennis, and a community pool for around 200k + or -. Is this reasonable?
There are lots of good places near there. That area is far from the chemical plants. You seem really concerned about the air quality. It really is not a big issue like you seem to be making it unless you live in Pasadena near all the plants. Finding your nice perfect area for 200K is not going to be possible. If you want the perfect place you have to pay to play.

5. How much can we expect to pay for insurance? We are considered a tornado risk and pay slightly more here. What about there, do we need flood, hurricane insurance?
Depending on where you live it will vary greatly. My guess is around 130 a month?

6. What are some surprise costs that are new to outsiders?
Surprise costs? We have no state taxes, but our realestate taxes are high to compensate. That is about it.

7. How are the bugs? Does one need an exterminator?
Roaches can be an issue. Mosquitos suck here. I don't use an exterminator. I get the roach spray stuff at home depot and spray it around my house. Speaking of I need to do that soon. I had my house sprayed professionally like three years ago. I have basically zero bug issues. I had termites once. That is why I had them spray for bugs while they were under my house.

8. Have I missed anything?

9. For people with a mold allergy, can you smell it in the air?
lol, no. The worst for allergies will be stuff being blown in from Austin. Austin is the worst allergy city in the world.

10. Do you get used to the humidity?
Yes, and you get used to the heat. Just as you get used to the cold. The human body is quite an amazing thing. Though some girls hair will never adjust to the humidity.

Thanks!

Old 03-13-2014, 01:38 PM

Thanks again for your rapid responses. I appreciate all the feedback.

My old allergist was the one warning me about Houston and the TX panhandle area, so, maybe the air quality is not so much an issue anymore.

Sounds like 200k is not realistic for a clean, safe town 30 min. from Missouri City?

Old 03-13-2014, 03:27 PM

174 posts, read 404,488 times
Try to look at Riverpark, New Territory, Lake Olympia, Colony Lake. Riverstone. They are in Sugar Land, or in Missouri City.

Last edited by Jonathz; 03-13-2014 at 03:39 PM..

Old 03-13-2014, 04:22 PM

Are those neighborhoods in Sugarland and in Missouri City or cities? They would be under a 30 min commute? What's the difference amongst them if you don't mind my asking.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:33 PM

174 posts, read 404,488 times
They are sub-divisions in the city of Sugar Land and Missouri City. They are mastered plan community within the city.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:04 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,771,188 times
We have the largest medical center in the world here, so don't worry about aches and pains. See if you find a good career opportunity and a house in an area you like. Houston has all the modern conveniences of other cities. If you're worried about bugs and spores (everybody has them) it sounds like just making an excuse not to move.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:33 PM

Everyone is so encouraging, thank you! We just want to think before we jump! Houston has so much to offer. I feeling very encouraged with the news we can even find a house we could afford in a family-oriented and safe neighborhood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston