Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 03:05 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,142,243 times

Advertisements

I trust that top 50 list more than the Chronicle list.

Robb Walsh knows his stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 03:42 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,099,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post

Anything is better than the Chronicle/Allison Cook list.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:33 PM
bu2

23,858 posts, read 14,640,066 times
Quote:
50 Restaurants That Define Houston Dining
50 Restaurants That Define Houston Dining | Houstonia Magazine
Lots of info in that.

Shame the Brennan's in New Orleans closed (although we liked the one in Houston better).

I also thought Café Annie was going to relocate instead of closing. Americas did when they redeveloped that center on Post Oak.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:46 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,380,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Lots of info in that.

Shame the Brennan's in New Orleans closed (although we liked the one in Houston better).

I also thought Café Annie was going to relocate instead of closing. Americas did when they redeveloped that center on Post Oak.
Cafe Annie didn't close. It became RDG Bar Annie over three or even five years years ago.

Americas is very average. But, they do a bang up job catering.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:49 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,380,207 times
The Pass.
Tier down to Trulucks.
Tier down to Bistro Provence
Tier Down to Jonathan's Rub..
Then go chain gra la

Ps..Marks has lost it. Mho.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:54 PM

391 posts, read 420,533 times
Quote:

I think that Houstonia list is remiss in leaving off a lot of the "old guard" Houston restaurants. It's more of a list of the best marketed new trendy/hipster/young joints. Mala Sichuan bistro in Chinatown is pretty good Chinese food (especially the red oil dumplings), but it's not one of the 50 best Houston restaurants. I'd consider half that list about the same.

You can't really talk about Houston restaurants without mentioning the Pappa's establishments, Fertita's various chains, Goode Co., or Taste of Texas. They've been around since I was a kid and still fill up every night.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:10 PM

705 posts, read 1,252,589 times
Pretty good list, I was surprised I've eaten at most of those restaurants. OTH Allison Cook's list consist of whoever is willing to feed her.

Dantons and Reef are two of my favorites. I've been a loyal follower of La Crawfish since they opened, their pho is surprising good. Pho Sate is my favorite, definitely don't want to eat that if you're wearing a light colored shirt. Heck, I like everything on their menu no matter what mood I'm in.

Pappasitos is my all time favorite restaurant. Snicker all you want, but a margarita, chips and salsa, and beef fajitas makes me one happy girl.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:49 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,099,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiovo View Post
pretty good list, i was surprised i've eaten at most of those restaurants. Oth allison cook's list consist of whoever is willing to feed her.

dantons and reef are two of my favorites. I've been a loyal follower of la crawfish since they opened, their pho is surprising good. Pho sate is my favorite, definitely don't want to eat that if you're wearing a light colored shirt. Heck, i like everything on their menu no matter what mood i'm in.

Pappasitos is my all time favorite restaurant. Snicker all you want, but a margarita, chips and salsa, and beef fajitas makes me one happy girl.
:d

Old 03-21-2014, 09:31 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,961,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandres View Post
You can't really talk about Houston restaurants without mentioning the Pappa's establishments, Fertita's various chains, Goode Co., or Taste of Texas. They've been around since I was a kid and still fill up every night.
Unfortunately anything Fertita touch is turn into another franchise operation and food go downhill. The various Pappas does not come close to what they were before.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:00 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,402,384 times
When I come home to visit I must eat at the following before I leave...and in no particular order.

Café Caspian
Thai Gourmet
Goode Co Seafood
Goode Co BBQ
Pappasito's (Love my TexMex!!!!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston