Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 03:57 PM

112 posts, read 198,687 times

Advertisements

Some of my favorites:
Vietnam Poblano-Best banh mi
Stanton City Bites-Best burgers
The Pass-Amazing (and expensive) gourmet tasting menu experience
Peli Peli-Best everything (NW outside the loop, off 249)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 06:53 PM

20 posts, read 23,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
Thanks for your replies. I was hoping for natives or people who have been in Houston for long to suggest the true foodie places.

Just as I would try to avoid all the places recommended in Lonely Planet/ travel guides as they are usually for tourists or overhyped.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:15 PM

2,413 posts, read 3,461,198 times
Default Frequent visitor favorites:

Breakfast/brunch: Baby Barnabys, Baba Yega, Empire Cafe

Late night: House of Pies

Sushi: Uchi

Pizza: I love the pizza egg rolls at Gotham Pizza (their pizza is decent)

Tex/Mex: I've tried a few places, but nothing worth recommending

BBQ: haven't found a place I like

Chinese: China Garden in downtown has the best egg rolls ever! The food is not authentic, but above average.

My .02

Old 03-14-2014, 10:52 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,779,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaHamburglar View Post
Thanks for your replies. I was hoping for natives or people who have been in Houston for long to suggest the true foodie places.

Just as I would try to avoid all the places recommended in Lonely Planet/ travel guides as they are usually for tourists or overhyped.
Then how about googling James Beard and Houston. That should give you an idea of what places have won or competed for it.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:55 PM

785 posts, read 1,228,019 times
Quote:

Start with Underbelly and Oxheart. Both restaurants try to represent the flavor of Houston as much as possible. Afterwards, try Uchi and Pass & Provisions.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:41 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,142,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
Start with Underbelly and Oxheart. Both restaurants try to represent the flavor of Houston as much as possible. Afterwards, try Uchi and Pass & Provisions.
This is what you want for higher end places that won't disappoint. Put Hugo's and Tony's on the list.

What type of scene are you looking for? I eat for a hobby
I can give you some good recommendations whether it be higher end or laid back.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:53 AM

20 posts, read 23,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
This is what you want for higher end places that won't disappoint. Put Hugo's and Tony's on the list.

What type of scene are you looking for? I eat for a hobby
I can give you some good recommendations whether it be higher end or laid back.
Love this! I'm always open to eating by the streets or going for fine dining. After all, I believe one can't go on either forever... I just like to try new food that I haven't had before or dishes that are so well prepared, they make me want to go back for it over and again. So, really, just what makes you think is definitely worth spending time just driving, queuing and waiting for.

First thing that comes to mind when I think Texas is BBQ though...

Old 03-15-2014, 08:32 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,775,440 times
Quote:

First thing that comes to mind when I think Texas is BBQ though...
Gatlin's for BBQ. They were filming for one of those BBQ TV shows a couple of weeks ago.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:41 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,142,445 times
Houston BBQ is lacking compared to the Austin area. Gatlins is good.

There is also a guy the sets up a trailer at Lucky's in the Heights every Saturday from 2 - 6 that is very good. Papa Charlies BBQ and get the ribs. If you are way out in Spring, go to Corkscrew. If you are way out in Pearland, go to Killen's.

There will also be a Houston BBQ festival coming up April 6. The 2nd Annual Houston Barbecue Festival

Old 03-15-2014, 02:01 PM

399 posts, read 636,004 times
S many options... Provisions (The Pass), Ibiza, Brasserie 19, Uchi, Etoile, Pappas Bros. Steakhouse, Marks, Armando's, Trevisio. Highly recommend reservations. All can be booked on open table except for Pappas. Bros and Uchi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston