Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 01:51 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,869,623 times

Advertisements

We usually get ours in the bags from Home Depot or the Houston Garden Centers when they run it on sale. I like the hardwood mulch, but my wife likes the black dyed kind so we got the Scotts brand. Right now we have very little left so it is time to lay down another layer on top of what we have. We had the bulk mulch delivered before, and it was a LOT of work to get it moved and distributed around the yard. So much that I don't mind paying extra for the bags since I can buy a few at a time and easily carry them to the flower beds where I need it. I think we used like 50 or 60 bags last year spread over several weekends. At least I can use the empty bags for garbage!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 01:58 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,296,407 times
sorry for sounding naive but why is mulch necessary? I thought soil is important. Is mulch for looks only or for holding soil? What happens if I just use soil and no mulch

Old 03-27-2014, 02:06 PM

392 posts, read 754,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
We usually get ours in the bags from Home Depot or the Houston Garden Centers when they run it on sale. I like the hardwood mulch, but my wife likes the black dyed kind so we got the Scotts brand. Right now we have very little left so it is time to lay down another layer on top of what we have. We had the bulk mulch delivered before, and it was a LOT of work to get it moved and distributed around the yard. So much that I don't mind paying extra for the bags since I can buy a few at a time and easily carry them to the flower beds where I need it. I think we used like 50 or 60 bags last year spread over several weekends. At least I can use the empty bags for garbage!

Do you know when does home depot put it on sale? We need some as we added plants to our flower beds and messed with last years mulch.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:20 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
sorry for sounding naive but why is mulch necessary? I thought soil is important. Is mulch for looks only or for holding soil? What happens if I just use soil and no mulch
Google it

J/K--it's helps the soil retain moisture, discourages weeds, and breaks down to provide organic nutrients to the soil. And it looks better than dry soil, IMO.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:11 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,839 times
We have pine mulch around our garden flower beds to help change the soil quality for the plants. Rock bed between home and mulch/plants. Anything organic wood based can attract termites. There is no purpose for rubber mulch. Mulch actuly protects plants and soil and adds to the nutrients of your plants. Its why organic mulch is important and why you dont replace mulch. You add mulch on top of old rotted mulch whenever needed

Old 03-28-2014, 06:36 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,519,758 times
I always mulch around October-November to help protect the roots for winter. I just pay a landscaping company to come out and do it since I have so many beds and it would probably take a whole weekend to do it myself. They charge around $50-$60 per cubic ft. (installed). Since I usually need 4 or 5 cubic ft. it usually runs around $250-$300. Pricey, but worth saving the time and my back.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
I always mulch around October-November to help protect the roots for winter. I just pay a landscaping company to come out and do it since I have so many beds and it would probably take a whole weekend to do it myself. They charge around $50-$60 per cubic ft. (installed). Since I usually need 4 or 5 cubic ft. it usually runs around $250-$300. Pricey, but worth saving the time and my back.
I know you mean cubic YARD, (3'x3'x3') not foot. One bag from Home Depot is 2 cubic feet, so ~14 bags =1 cubic yard. At the sale price of $3 a bag, that is about $42 so your installed price is not bad at all. That would be an expensive mulch job if it was per foot.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to LA View Post
Do you know when does home depot put it on sale? We need some as we added plants to our flower beds and messed with last years mulch.
You just have to check the newspaper flyers or stop by. They will have it soon I bet if not already. I think I got mine in April last year.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:54 AM

339 posts, read 764,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
You just have to check the newspaper flyers or stop by. They will have it soon I bet if not already. I think I got mine in April last year.
they just had a sale last week

Old 03-28-2014, 07:12 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,910,334 times
Spreading mulch is something DH did as a youngster with his father every spring so it is a ritual he enjoys doing himself. We had 5 cubic yards delivered two weeks ago for $200 from this place, it took one weekend to spread but only a couple hours each day.

The Ground Up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston