Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 12:20 AM

4 posts, read 4,825 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, this is my first post even though I've been lurking here for a while.

So here's whats up, I'm about to graduate with an accredited degree in Chemical Engineering from a good school in the SUNY (State University of New York) system. Entry-level engineering jobs are very competitive here. I haven't had much luck job hunting through applying to postings or networking. Although networking seems to be the way to go because you actually get meet people that way. I worked a part-time internship while going to school but I have no upward mobility at this company. And then I came up with this crazy idea...

1. Find out where the cool parts of Houston are for people in their 20's.
2. Find someone on craigslist looking for a roommate.
3. Introduce myself, tell them what my deal is, and ask them if they know where I can find ANY job.
4. MAKE THE MOVE! Bring essential belongings and an inflatable mattress on my cross-country voyage.
5. Snuggle into my new home, drink a beer, relax and try to get used to sleeping on an inflatable mattress.
6. Find a McJob i.e. mcdonalds, dish washer, janitor, mowing lawns, etc.
7. Get a life, participate in clubs, make new friends, enjoy not being an engineering student anymore.
8. Work at McJob while secretly looking/networking for an engineering job at one of those sexy refineries.

Let me know how feasible this plan is. I would also greatly appreciate any suggestions. This might be the boldest thing I have ever done, I don't know anyone down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 02:14 AM

6,263 posts, read 7,423,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern_Nomad View Post
Hello everyone, this is my first post even though I've been lurking here for a while.

So here's whats up, I'm about to graduate with an accredited degree in Chemical Engineering from a good school in the SUNY (State University of New York) system. Entry-level engineering jobs are very competitive here. I haven't had much luck job hunting through applying to postings or networking. Although networking seems to be the way to go because you actually get meet people that way. I worked a part-time internship while going to school but I have no upward mobility at this company. And then I came up with this crazy idea...

3. Introduce myself, tell them what my deal is, and ask them if they know where I can find ANY job.
4. MAKE THE MOVE! Bring essential belongings and an inflatable mattress on my cross-country voyage.
5. Snuggle into my new home, drink a beer, relax and try to get used to sleeping on an inflatable mattress.
7. Get a life, participate in clubs, make new friends, enjoy not being an engineering student anymore.
8. Work at McJob while secretly looking/networking for an engineering job at one of those sexy refineries.

Let me know how feasible this plan is. I would also greatly appreciate any suggestions. This might be the boldest thing I have ever done, I don't know anyone down there.
Indeed.com list 1832 jobs hits when you search Chemical Engineer in Houston within 100 miles. Maybe it will not be as hard as you think.

Chemical Engineer Jobs, Employment in Houston, TX | Indeed.com

Old 03-28-2014, 08:01 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,797,190 times
Praxair is hiring...and they are in your area.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:41 AM

4 posts, read 4,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Praxair is hiring...and they are in your area.
Well maybe. I applied to them back in the fall and met them for a brief interview at the career fair, handed them my resume and that was that, I never heard back. Even my colleagues who did internships there will not be getting full-time jobs there. But I'll take another look to see if they are reconsidering hiring for entry level positions.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:43 AM

785 posts, read 1,228,753 times
I think there was a thread here several months ago about engineering jobs in Houston. Might be worth searching it for tips on how to land that job.

Otherwise, your plan is certainly crazy but it might work if you're persistent enough and don't mind roughing it for a few months, like you said. Also, I'd recommend applying for the Whole Foods in Montrose instead, that's what one of my friends did before he finally landed a downtown job in Finance.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:42 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,672,265 times

Midtown or Montrose is where the majority of young professionals live
You can possibly do that.
Engineering jobs here grow on trees. You should be applying. Every third person here is an engineer. Well for young professionals.
I would not move without a job
Ummm ok
I am wondering why you can't get a job as an engineer. Were your grades that bad?
There is plenty to do
There is nothing sexy about a refinery.

It sounds really strange to me. I have never heard of a young engineer having trouble finding a job. I do think it is nuts to move here without having one. Live with your parents. Save money till you find a job in the US. Not all engineering jobs are here.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:12 PM

960 posts, read 1,035,484 times
you'll do very well in Houston

Old 04-10-2014, 07:00 PM

3 posts, read 3,229 times
I am following the same path. I graduated from SUNY at Binghamton with mechanical engineering. Worked on a project for few months and haven't had no luck finding a full time entry level afterwards. Thinking of moving to Houston. In fact I might be moving in two weeks. Will do some McJobs and meanwhile look for some sexy refineries.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:04 PM

725 posts, read 1,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
you'll do very well in Houston
This. He's an engineer and willing to hustle to get what he wants.

These are the types of folks that thrive in Houston.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:50 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,963,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
This. He's an engineer and willing to hustle to get what he wants.

These are the types of folks that thrive in Houston.
Something really doesn't add up here. Chemical engineers have one of the highest starting salaries after college and if you can walk straight you will probably get hired by somebody.

I can't imagine why you would want to come here and work fast food jobs and then look for a job.

You really need to take advantage of the career center and start applying for jobs now. You really miss the opportunity in doing it the easy way and now you have to scramble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston