U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 06:07 PM

54 posts, read 170,479 times

Advertisements

A Brookings Institution survey ranks the 30 biggest metropolitan areas according to the number of "walkable urban places" relative to the area's population:

1. Washington

2. Boston

3. San Francisco

4. Denver

5. Portland, Ore.

6. Seattle

7. Chicago

8. Miami

9. Pittsburgh

10. New York

11. San Diego

12. Los Angeles

13. Philadelphia

14. Atlanta

15. Baltimore

16. St. Louis

17. Minneapolis

18. Detroit

19. Columbus, Ohio

20. Las Vegas

21. Houston

22. San Antonio

23. Kansas City, Mo.

24. Orlando, Fla.

25. Dallas

26. Phoenix

27. Sacramento, Calif.

28. Cincinnati

29. Cleveland

30. Tampa, Fla.

— Associated Press

Now i know in the past people always say that Houston isn't a walkable city if you live in the burbs but in the city of houston itself is pretty walkable do anyone agree...P.s we even ranked better than Big D (No rivilary just on friendly terms)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 06:29 PM

832 posts, read 3,644,319 times
Actually, the burbs are walkable. Kingwood and The Woodlands, for example, have appx 100 miles of paved trails each. In Kingwood, I have a walking path all the way from my home to Town Center. I'm also surrounded by a huge nature preserve with earthen trails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianajohnson View Post
A Brookings Institution survey ranks the 30 biggest metropolitan areas according to the number of "walkable urban places" relative to the area's population:

1. Washington

2. Boston

3. San Francisco

4. Denver

5. Portland, Ore.

6. Seattle

7. Chicago

8. Miami

9. Pittsburgh

10. New York

11. San Diego

12. Los Angeles

13. Philadelphia

14. Atlanta

15. Baltimore

16. St. Louis

17. Minneapolis

18. Detroit

19. Columbus, Ohio

20. Las Vegas

21. Houston

22. San Antonio

23. Kansas City, Mo.

24. Orlando, Fla.

25. Dallas

26. Phoenix

27. Sacramento, Calif.

28. Cincinnati

29. Cleveland

30. Tampa, Fla.

— Associated Press

Now i know in the past people always say that Houston isn't a walkable city if you live in the burbs but in the city of houston itself is pretty walkable do anyone agree...P.s we even ranked better than Big D (No rivilary just on friendly terms)

Old 12-06-2007, 06:35 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,389,822 times
When I read the title, I thought it was top 25 out of something 100s or something. The total number of cities surveyed is only 30.

And looking at the report, it was mentioned that they did not take an important criteria into consideration, the size of each walking area, that will be remedied in the future. And its seems surburbs like sugarland town center and woodlands town center were taken into consideration.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:08 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 7,660,928 times
BAHAHAHA Houston ranks bottom 10 (i'm the half-empty glass type)

i wonder how they factored in walking to islands and boroughs of NYC

Old 12-06-2007, 08:20 PM

9,600 posts, read 15,257,343 times
What gets me is how San Francisco wasn't number one.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:25 PM

2,843 posts, read 4,676,308 times
I'm also surprised that Houston outranked Dallas. Dallas has more mass transit far superior to that of Houston but I guess Houston's downtown is becoming a walking paradise.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:34 PM

44 posts, read 150,139 times
This list must have been influenced by developers selling condos in downtown Houston. Yes, downtown is very walkable and has had underground airconditioned tunnels for pedestrians for decades.

However, the greater Houston meto area is very difficult to access if you do not have a private car. The bus lines will get you where you need to go if you don't mind transfers and waits. We have so many cars in parts of this town that it is hard to just cross the streets.

Houston used to have electrical streetcars in downtown at one time. They were crazy to remove them in the 50s when suburbanization got hot and no one had the wisdom to forecast how everyone driving a car would lead to so much gridlock no one would be able to get anywhere fast.

Metro somewhat redid part of this line with the multimillion dollar cost per mile of light rail track in 2003 when Main Street had street cars on it 50 years ago. Gawd how nuts is that!

Old 12-06-2007, 10:33 PM

8,322 posts, read 28,262,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianajohnson View Post

Someone mentioned cities, but this survey includes metros which is still about right I think. Much of the Chicago metro is not very walkable, either. Same with SF.

Houston still pretty much sucks to get around by foot. Certain pockets are ok, especially around Midtown and Downtown and the places people are trying to build up / cramp up. Medical center has its pocket, too. But the Galleria for instance can be a pretty terrible place to have to walk around. Then much of Houston outside the loop, inside the Beltway is like a dirty Anaheim or Garden Grove. Rough city streets with sidewalks, and one close freeway. Burbs, forget it.

Most all of Houston is just way too spread out. But that's Texas for ya.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:29 PM

7,035 posts, read 10,165,246 times
I think Houston is a verry walkable city there are lots of sidewalks & walking trails on all sides of town. That list is all wrong Houston should be in the top 5 my pick 4

Old 12-07-2007, 07:18 AM

8,322 posts, read 28,262,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
I think Houston is a verry walkable city there are lots of sidewalks & walking trails on all sides of town. That list is all wrong Houston should be in the top 5 my pick 4

Just because there are 'sidewalks and trails' doesn't mean a city is ''walkable.'' The issue is walkability and pedestrian-friendliness. And Houston is notoriously pedestrian-unfriendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston