Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 10:21 AM

122 posts, read 158,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartPinkRose View Post
They've taken over Hermann Park and the downtown public library. Why is this even allowed? Houston will never be considered a world class city until they clean up their homeless problem.
Actually, Houston will never be considered a world class city until we stop acting so douchy towards the downtrodden. This is the case for all Texas cities.

We lack class when it comes to those down on their luck, plain and simple.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:44 AM

189 posts, read 223,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredboredteacher View Post
Actually, Houston will never be considered a world class city until we stop acting so douchy towards the downtrodden. This is the case for all Texas cities.

I'm happy with not being a world class city if that's the case.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:01 AM

488 posts, read 1,380,694 times
To tie in nicely with another thread, maybe if Joel transformed his mega church into a homeless shelter and used his millions to provide food and shelter we would have a better opinion of him...

Old 09-14-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTxn View Post
I'm happy with not being a world class city if that's the case.
I'm not really all that surprised you feel that way. Never in my life have I lived in a place that is so, "I got mine, **** you!"

And I'm stuck here because my daughter lives here before the "Get out then if you hate it here" comes around.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:20 PM

693 posts, read 1,104,413 times
Quote:
until we stop acting so douchy towards the downtrodden.
Lol ok. Sounds like you have an axe to grind and are using this message board as your own passive aggressive soapbox. I don't know why you feel it is "douchey" to have an expectation of not getting harassed by bums.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
Lol ok. Sounds like you have an axe to grind and are using this message board as your own passive aggressive soapbox. I don't know why you feel it is "douchey" to have an expectation of not getting harassed by bums.
You would think a state that where everyone is so conservative, people would be able to handle the homeless on their own, wouldn't you?

I just either a. tell them to bug off or b. give them a buck.

I don't need Mayor Parker to sweep homeless people away for me.

Why do Houstonians need big government to do this? Furthermore, don't they have a right to exist where they are? As long as they aren't on private property, who the hell are you to tell them to get off the corner of Fountainview and Westheimer? I used to live over that way also and frequented that HEB often.

I just did a. or b.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:34 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,125,784 times
Quote:

Quote:
You would think a state that where everyone is so conservative, people would be able to handle the homeless on their own, wouldn't you?

I just either a. tell them to bug off or b. give them a buck.

I don't need Mayor Parker to sweep homeless people away for me.

Why do Houstonians need big government to do this? Furthermore, don't they have a right to exist where they are? As long as they aren't on private property, who the hell are you to tell them to get off the corner of Fountainview and Westheimer? I used to live over that way also and frequented that HEB often.

I just did a. or b.
You mean like San Fran, Hawaii, and New York? Yeah liberals show they're so much more compassionate by giving the bums a one way ticket out of town.

Hawaii offers homeless one-way ticket off islands

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/29/ny...eway.html?_r=0

Homeless got 1-way bus tickets to Portland

Old 09-14-2014, 02:45 PM

8,893 posts, read 19,947,297 times
Quote:
I'm not really all that surprised you feel that way. Never in my life have I lived in a place that is so, "I got mine, **** you!"

And I'm stuck here because my daughter lives here before the "Get out then if you hate it here" comes around.
Well sounds like you're bored. And rather than having a bored teacher dealing with kids then perhaps you could relieve some of your boredom by volunteering to help some of these overly aggressive downtrodden get on the right path again? After all, it sounds like you are just stuck here with nothing to do.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
You mean like San Fran, Hawaii, and New York? Yeah liberals show they're so much more compassionate by giving the bums a one way ticket out of town.

Hawaii offers homeless one-way ticket off islands

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/29/ny...eway.html?_r=0

Homeless got 1-way bus tickets to Portland
Yet nowhere do I see where they are banned. Unless I missed something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Well sounds like you're bored. And rather than having a bored teacher dealing with kids then perhaps you could relieve some of your boredom by volunteering to help some of these overly aggressive downtrodden get on the right path again? After all, it sounds like you are just stuck here with nothing to do.
Why should I? You are the one that has the problem with them being able to exist, not me. I had a Great Uncle who was happily homeless. My grandfather even rented him an apartment. He chose the dumpster. What were we to do?

Old 09-14-2014, 05:44 PM

129 posts, read 170,377 times
We could be like California and send them all to Hawaii. In any case the people who pay the taxes around fountain view and westhiemer or anywhere else most certainly do have a right to tell the homeless to get out of their area, who built it and continues to pay for it is who owns it. Homeless want to be a part of our city then pay for it like the rest of us instead of trashing it like they currently do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston