Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 12:37 PM

705 posts, read 1,259,543 times

Advertisements

I find pick up truck drivers to be the most obnoxious. It seems to have gotten worse over time due to the increase population, more distance traveled, and phones.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:07 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
People are always in a rush and have to be from point a to point b as fast as one can make it. Doesn't it get old for y'all that drive like this on the daily? It's one reason I've considered moving outta here. I got honked at 3 times in one hour the other day lol. I honestly don't care and don't let it bother me anymore. I have a CDL license and drive for a living somewhat so I consider myself a good driver

This thread has blown up and no one will prob read my response but it's gotten out of hand. I read the first few replies and people here go bonkers when they have be patient in any form or fashion.

it's insane how Impatient people are here and credit the reason my eye twitches a lot bc of the drivers on the road lol. Glad I dont drive everyday 50 miles plus like some here.
At the end of the day some people need to be somewhere quickly, some don't but that doesn't entitle the slower people to slow the faster ones down. Some of us like to drive the roads the way they were designed to be driven - the speed limits on many roads aren't even at the 85th percentile speed (though this is not as big of an issue in TX compared to some other places across the country).

But honestly, I don't care how slow you drive, as long as you do it while yielding right. That's all I ask.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:41 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
But how would you know if said motorist was going to make a right at the next plaza or not? Are you suppose to read their minds and go to the left lane and turn right right in front of them as Bike4life stated? If a cop saw you do that, I'm sure he'll cite you for illegal right turn.

With that said, I don't get into the right lane unless an immediate right turn is coming up...and if there's bumper to bumper traffic in all lanes during rush hour.

I don't get angry at drivers going straight on the right lane either. I don't like it but the law entitles them to the lane. It's not a right turn only lane.
What are you jabbering on about?

Pedro, "With certain exceptions, it's not wise to jump in fast moving water."

3shipguy, "What if you're being chased by a bear, and it's your only option?"

Pedro, "Yes, I said with exceptions."

3shipguy, "Oh, so you say it's better if the bear eats you?"

If you are going to be making a right hand turn soon after the intersection, then yes, by all means get in the right lane.

If your car is acting weird, and you think it could stop running at any moment, then yes, by all means remain in the right lane.

If you are feeling light-headed and you are looking for a place to pull over, then yes, by all means remain in the right lane.

If the traffic is exceptionally busy and it makes no sense to leave the right lane empty, then yes, by all means remain in the right lane.

BUT, if any of a bunch of scenarios like those above are not in play, and you are approaching an intersection on a multi-lane road and the light is red, move over to the left so those who will need to take a right at the light can continue on.

Let's not make this more complicated than it is.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:46 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,932,339 times
Many of the comments regarding blocking faster drivers unnecessarily, etc., seem to apply more to actual limited access highways / expressways than regular streets. On a four-lane street within the built-up urban or suburban area, I would say you can drive the speed limit in either lane, you don't have to hew to the right to let speeders go by. Probably the same for a six-lane street. And at intersections on four-lane streets, I have no problem being in the right-hand lane even if I'm going straight and it's not a dedicated right turn lane. On a six-lane street, I'll try to stay in the left two lanes if I'm going straight, just to be courteous, but of course one is not obligated to do so, and I think folks are wrong to get any more than slightly annoyed at those who aren't turning.

Even though I commonly drive 0-5 mph over the speed limit even on urban streets outside of downtown (you can't take advantage of timed lights there if you go too fast), I think we all need to chill out a bit speed-wise. The city is densifying, there will be more traffic, more bikes and pedestrians and transit vehicles / patrons, and trying to turn city streets into speedways lowers the quality of life; not to mention it also endangers those not within an enclosed vehicle.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:46 PM

366 posts, read 797,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
I find pick up truck drivers to be the most obnoxious. It seems to have gotten worse over time due to the increase population, more distance traveled, and phones.
Ha. I agree. Typically a guy wearing 1980s style Oakleys with a loud muffler driving as if his truck was a Porsche. Meanwhile, his V-6 decorated with a Calvin and Hobbes sticker pissin on (Ford/Chevy/Dodge/Etc) tailgates me while I move over to the right as I always do if someone behind me is going faster. Then once I move to the right, truckboy decides he's too scared to drive faster than me so now he goes the same speed in the left lane. That is until I get annoyed and gun it and leave his sorry ass in the dust.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:48 PM

35 posts, read 69,268 times
Quote:
I have been in Houston all of my life, driving for almost 30 years. Generally there are fewer cars turning right at a red light, then going straight. In Houston traffic, the other lanes are rarely clear and avoiding the right lane if you are going straight will back up traffic.
In a heavy traffic situation I understand, but I regularly encounter intersections where everyone is piled into the right lane and only half the vehicles are actually turning right. Not only does this not allow drivers to turn right on red, but it makes it so all the cars can't make it through the intersection in a single light cycle (whereas they could if more evenly distributed across lanes).

Old 04-04-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Many of the comments regarding blocking faster drivers unnecessarily, etc., seem to apply more to actual limited access highways / expressways than regular streets. On a four-lane street within the built-up urban or suburban area, I would say you can drive the speed limit in either lane, you don't have to hew to the right to let speeders go by. Probably the same for a six-lane street. And at intersections on four-lane streets, I have no problem being in the right-hand lane even if I'm going straight and it's not a dedicated right turn lane. On a six-lane street, I'll try to stay in the left two lanes if I'm going straight, just to be courteous, but of course one is not obligated to do so, and I think folks are wrong to get any more than slightly annoyed at those who aren't turning.

Even though I commonly drive 0-5 mph over the speed limit even on urban streets outside of downtown (you can't take advantage of timed lights there if you go too fast), I think we all need to chill out a bit speed-wise. The city is densifying, there will be more traffic, more bikes and pedestrians and transit vehicles / patrons, and trying to turn city streets into speedways lowers the quality of life; not to mention it also endangers those not within an enclosed vehicle.
I agree with you, overall.

On a four-lane street (2 going each direction), it's nice to stay left at some intersections, but not too big of a deal. It's the streets with more lanes than that where it's downright inconsiderate not to move over under most circumstances.

Also, on four-lane suburban and urban roads (two lanes each direction), I don't think the left lane is a "passing lane". It's just not practical since you'll have cars turning into businesses and onto other streets regularly and cars entering the street. Highways and rural roads, on the other hand, are a completely different situation.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman94477 View Post
In a heavy traffic situation I understand, but I regularly encounter intersections where everyone is piled into the right lane and only half the vehicles are actually turning right. Not only does this not allow drivers to turn right on red, but it makes it so all the cars can't make it through the intersection in a single light cycle (whereas they could if more evenly distributed across lanes).
Well stated.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:59 PM

35 posts, read 69,268 times
Quote:
On a four-lane street within the built-up urban or suburban area, I would say you can drive the speed limit in either lane, you don't have to hew to the right to let speeders go by. Probably the same for a six-lane street.
Texas law disagrees:

(b) An operator of a vehicle on a roadway moving more slowly than the normal speed of other vehicles at the time and place under the existing conditions shall drive in the right-hand lane available for vehicles, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, unless the operator is:
(1) passing another vehicle; or
(2) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

TRANSPORTATION CODE CHAPTER 545. OPERATION AND MOVEMENT OF VEHICLES

Old 04-04-2014, 01:59 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post

I definitely agree on the streets. It's too many things going on there and folks should more or less keep the speed limit on the streets - it's the safe thing to do.

But the freeways exist for the express purpose of getting from point A to point B quickly, and puttering around on there is the dangerous thing to do imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston