Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 01:45 PM

31 posts, read 37,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well, sure, but it's not as if that can't change.
Not sure many kids these days are interested in 4H membership. These kids are too busy with Facebook and Twitter.

I think it might do them well to highly emphasize the BBQ cookoff, concert series and the fair/rides portion.

But why does Houston want to be on the level of NYC/DC/Boston? Seems to me things are fine the way they are now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 01:47 PM

91 posts, read 140,014 times
No. Twenty years a go Melbourne, Australia had no life in the Central Business District beyond 5pm. The city was contained to a small area but the suburbs spread for miles. Somehow, in the last 10-15 years the city itself has revitalized. It started with the gentrification of the inner (formerly working class) suburbs of the city and, gradually, this sustained the city itself. Now there are restaurants and night spots popping up all over the CBD and the city is thriving. Houston can do the same thing. From what I can tell it's a multicultural city that welcomes diversity and new development. The only difference between Melbourne and Houston is that there are no "no-go" areas in Melbourne. Melbourne never had a "hood" so I don't know how Houston would deal with that, but gentrification and revitalization are possible in order to get that "city vibe".

FWIW Houston's rodeo does not rank on the international stage at all. DC's Cherry Blossom festival and New Orleans Mardi Gras are definitely up there but even Chicago's Taste isn't a major thing internationally, nor Miami's Spring break. Yes, the LA Oscars are well-known from an International perspective.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:47 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htownnoob View Post
You are strengthening reasons why Houston will not be on the level of Atlanta and other "Top Cities"'

United rules IAH and Southwest rules HOU just as Delta rules ATL, how easy is it to get from downtown Atlanta to ATL via public transport as it is from one of Houston's main airports to downtown Houston?

Public Transportation is an integral part of any major city.
Even Los Angeles has the FlyAway shuttles between Union Station and LAX.

I think Houston would really be on a different path if they truly wanted to be "world class". I think the powers that be are fine with the current situation,
I'm not strengthening anything. I'm explaining why we don't have more progressive planning: Houston's ambitious attitude toward annexing surrounding towns has been somewhat of a curse. You're trying to make it seem as if what's holding us is back is a mindset that exists at the core, and that isn't the case.

Whether or not we're on the level of Atlanta is extremely relative. We're larger than them, our economy is currently far more healthy and crucial than theirs, we're more diverse, and our cultural amenities exceed theirs, in my opinion. About the only edge Atlanta has on us is being a media and transportation hub. Oh, and they're prettier, I guess. I say this as someone who has lived in both cities.

We may want some of what Atlanta has, but we aren't desperate for any of it. All things considered, Houston is doing better than Atlanta right now, so how much worth is there in being what you consider a "Top City"?

Old 04-08-2014, 01:48 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Not familiar with Atlanta's system, but I've seen how commuting works from NoVA into DC and I couldn't understand how it would work without their metro. There, everyone of all backgrounds use it. The DoD issues a Metro card to their employees at the Pentagon. It is encouraged, because the road infrastructure isn't there to handle it all and nobody there wants a 66-lane monstrosity like I-10 will be at some point, at the rate we're going.

Here's another problem Culberson's creating for us - this is unconscionable to the old folks and the boomers but the younger generation here generally doesn't care for driving/car ownership the way they did. In terms of "rite of passage" it probably pales to getting their own phone that their parents don't micromanage. They are more likely to use transit, and it's not something they're just going to grow out of.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expataussie View Post
No. Twenty years a go Melbourne, Australia had no life in the Central Business District beyond 5pm. The city was contained to a small area but the suburbs spread for miles. Somehow, in the last 10-15 years the city itself has revitalized. It started with the gentrification of the inner (formerly working class) suburbs of the city and, gradually, this sustained the city itself. Now there are restaurants and night spots popping up all over the CBD and the city is thriving. Houston can do the same thing. From what I can tell it's a multicultural city that welcomes diversity and new development. The only difference between Melbourne and Houston is that there are no "no-go" areas in Melbourne. Melbourne never had a "hood" so I don't know how Houston would deal with that, but gentrification and revitalization are possible in order to get that "city vibe".
I don't know much about Melbourne except they host one of the world's major tennis tournaments every year. I think it was hosted in other cities until about 1985 when WTA asked for it to be moved to a more central and populated location. It was in a more remote location before 1985 (or so) if I'm not mistaken.

Melbourne also is a big cricket venue. Cricket is a bigger sport internationally than baseball as it is the sport of choice in India (with a billion people).

Houston needs a MAJOR event like this annual tennis tournament or a 20/20 cricket test!

Quote:
FWIW Houston's rodeo does not rank on the international stage at all. DC's Cherry Blossom festival and New Orleans Mardi Gras are definitely up there but even Chicago's Taste isn't a major thing internationally, nor Miami's Spring break. Yes, the LA Oscars are well-known from an International perspective.
Nationally, you have kids coming from all corners of the country to go to Miami's spring break just as they flock to Austin's SXSW and Coachella's music festival. New Orleans and Las Vegas are an adult's playground for all things debauchery. I still believe Houston needs an "it factor" outside of the rodeo as it is presented today.

Jerry Jones is strongarming Dallas into a "Top" city by having Cowboys Stadium host just about every event from Super Bowls to NBA All Star games, NCAA Final Four series even Pacquiao boxing matches.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:14 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Meh on Jerry. Indianapolis holds that kind of stuff all the time (in its downtown, not in the suburbs) and it's not any more "major."

Old 04-08-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Not familiar with Atlanta's system, but I've seen how commuting works from NoVA into DC and I couldn't understand how it would work without their metro. There, everyone of all backgrounds use it. The DoD issues a Metro card to their employees at the Pentagon. It is encouraged, because the road infrastructure isn't there to handle it all and nobody there wants a 66-lane monstrosity like I-10 will be at some point, at the rate we're going.
From Foggy Bottom I can get an international flight out of three major airports (DCA/BWI/IAD) with relative ease/quickness via public transportation. I would not dare making that same trip out to IAD during rush hour. It would be equivalent of making the same journey Greenway Plaza to Bush.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:

FWIW Houston's rodeo does not rank on the international stage at all.
I would not classify it as a world class event, so if that's what you mean, I agree, but to suggest it has no international recognition is inaccurate.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownnoob View Post

Jerry Jones is strongarming Dallas into a "Top" city by having Cowboys Stadium host just about every event from Super Bowls to NBA All Star games, NCAA Final Four series even Pacquiao boxing matches.
Which Houston has also hosted and will continue to host. Our Super Bowls, in particular, are bigger successes than DFW's. Our venues are all downtown or can be accessed by rail.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:11 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
For International tourists, only a few US cities make the grade:

Best Destinations in the World - Travelers' Choice Awards - TripAdvisor

On this list, NYC is #12, Chicago is #18 and San Francisco is #25

Top cities for international tourists are ... - CNN.com

On this one, NYC is #8 and the only US city.

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-...tor-spending-1

On this one, NYC is #5 and LA is #20

Houston is not on anyone's list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston