Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 09:16 PM

4 posts, read 4,498 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Houston because of work. I'm 32, single, originally from L.A. and currently living in Jacksonville, FL (5 years).

My current plan is to get an extended stay until I find an apartment in the beginning of June. I figure that gives me some time to check the area out.

Anyways, just to get a head start, I've been researching places near my work (near Fondren Rd. and Richmond Ave., 77063), but I'm getting exhausted, and quite frankly, the more information I get, the least I want to live there. The Galleria seems awesome, but I would rather not drop $1500 for an apartment, especially because I'd like to save as much money as I can for a condo or house. And to be quite honest, I think I've grown out of the downtown lifestyle.

Just to simplify things, here are some of my top priorities (low crime, safe area, etc.. is a given).

1. The max I would like to pay is $1200 (1 BED/1 BATH)
2. I'd like to live 10-15 miles (max) from work
3. I loathe traffic. Being in JAX after living in L.A. has spoiled me. I'd like to avoid as much traffic as I can during my daily commute (I know this may be tough because the job is just south of Westheimer Rd.)
4. I'd like to be in area that's racially diverse. One of the things I loved about living in L.A. is that it was a melting pot of different cultures. Obviously, not a huge deal, but a plus
5. Again, not a huge deal, but proximity to nice restaurants and places like Target or Whole Foods would be nice

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 07:11 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
You can check town home rentals on har.com. There are some on Augusta and some near Westheimer that are pretty good. Not sure what will be available in your price range. Houston is a hot market right now. You can also use an apartment locater service.

You will get diverse anywhere in the Houston area. We are pretty much a racially mixed city. There are a few pockets of one race areas, but there are not that many.

Good luck and enjoy houston!

Old 04-11-2014, 08:56 AM

785 posts, read 1,234,808 times
There are apartments in your price range that are nearby. The general rule is to stay north of Westheimer if you want something safe.

Try looking at the apartments around San Felipe and Voss. There’s a Trader Joe’s in that area, as well as a Whole Foods that’s coming soon. I had a friend who used to live in Woodway Square apartments and it should be in your budget.
Most of the traffic in the area is centered in the Galleria and on Westheimer. Once you become more familiar with the area, you’ll learn to avoid the traffic in the Galleria like the rest of us do.

There’s quite a few good restaurants in the Galleria area and in nearby Westchase, so here’s a few suggestions:

E-Tao (in the Galleria Mall) – Chinese/Singaporean
Sylvia’s Enchilada Kitchen
Thai Gourmet (best Thai food in the city)
Tan Tan – Chinese
Teppay, Sasaki, and Miyako – Japanese
Rudi Lechner’s – German (Wednesday is the best day to go)
Caf̩ Pita РBosnian
India’s Restaurant
Barry’s Pizza
Beck’s Prime – Burgers
Mi Pueblito – Colombian
Kasra Persian Grill (best hummus in town)
Al Aseel – Palestinian (one of the top fried chickens in the city)

Ok, ok….so that was more than a few. I was on a roll, lol.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:34 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,821,369 times
If you are moving to Houston and you loathe traffic....well, lets just say you are setting yourself up to be disappointed.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:39 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
I'd look for an Extended Stay Hotels in Houston, TX to get a feel for the area for a month or two. You can negotiate a decent monthly rate. There are a few on the western side.

If you have enough for a townhome, again I'll suggest Northside village. Within your commute length but diverse and close to amenities.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:44 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Check out apartments in the Woodlake area on Gessner north of Westheimer. There are both new and older ones. Very short commute for you, Westchase is very ethnically diverse, and Woodlake is the nicest part of Westchase (and adjacent to very high end single family neighborhoods).

Old 04-11-2014, 10:05 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,808,575 times
If you loathe traffic then 10 - 15 miles away from work is a long way in Houston. I work 12 miles from my home and it takes me an hour to get home every day.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:42 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBravoLima View Post
I will be relocating to Houston because of work. I'm 32, single, originally from L.A. and currently living in Jacksonville, FL (5 years).

My current plan is to get an extended stay until I find an apartment in the beginning of June. I figure that gives me some time to check the area out.

Anyways, just to get a head start, I've been researching places near my work (near Fondren Rd. and Richmond Ave., 77063), but I'm getting exhausted, and quite frankly, the more information I get, the least I want to live there. The Galleria seems awesome, but I would rather not drop $1500 for an apartment, especially because I'd like to save as much money as I can for a condo or house. And to be quite honest, I think I've grown out of the downtown lifestyle.

Just to simplify things, here are some of my top priorities (low crime, safe area, etc.. is a given).

1. The max I would like to pay is $1200 (1 BED/1 BATH)
2. I'd like to live 10-15 miles (max) from work
3. I loathe traffic. Being in JAX after living in L.A. has spoiled me. I'd like to avoid as much traffic as I can during my daily commute (I know this may be tough because the job is just south of Westheimer Rd.)
4. I'd like to be in area that's racially diverse. One of the things I loved about living in L.A. is that it was a melting pot of different cultures. Obviously, not a huge deal, but a plus
5. Again, not a huge deal, but proximity to nice restaurants and places like Target or Whole Foods would be nice

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Michael
I would look at apartments around San Felipe and Fountainview.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:08 PM

226 posts, read 310,783 times
Another suggestion for apartments would be the Energy Corridor. There are several complexes along Eldridge built mid-late 90 as well as several new build "luxury" apartments along Briar Forest. Not sure what rents are going for nowadays, but definitely cheaper than further in towards downtown. Not as close as the Woodlake area suggested above, but another option to consider, and close to the Hershey trail if you want to enjoy Buffalo Bayou.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:02 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
If you loathe traffic then 10 - 15 miles away from work is a long way in Houston. I work 12 miles from my home and it takes me an hour to get home every day.
I'm sorry but this made me laugh. It's horrible. Unless you live across the street from work or 5 minutes walking traffic is a mess.

OP traffic in Houston gets worst literally by the hour so buckle down and get ready for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston