Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 05:03 PM

5 posts, read 16,482 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to learn as much as possible about the public school system in Houston, and so far, the City Data forums have been a great help. I have read through multiple threads and also checked out info from the Texas Tribune and the Houston ISD's own site, but I still have a few questions that I'd like to have answered so I am not carrying around bad info.

1) What is the difference between Neighborhood Vanguard and Magnet Vanguard? Is it only the frequency of "gifted" classes? I'm guessing the former has students pulled from class once or twice a week, while the latter is basically an every day thing and therefore more rigorous but also more isolating for the kids.

2) Vanguard is just some Houston specific term for gifted and talented, right? I'm about 90 percent sure that's the case.

3) In general, is either Vanguard system more desirable than Magnet?

4) Since Magnet programs are easier to qualify for than Vanguard, isn't is basically a total crapshoot for your kid to get into desirable magnet programs (aka ones that aren't 20 miles away from your home or in the middle of the ghetto)?

5) If your kid qualifies for Magnet or Vanguard, do they automatically get placed into the Magnet or Vanguard programs that are being run at the neighborhood schools they are zoned into? I'm also about 90 percent positive that's the case but want to make sure.

6) All of the neighboring school districts outside of Houston ISD, like Spring Branch, Katy, Fort Bend, etc. have gifted and talented programs but no magnets and Vanguard, right? So in other words, is it basically like a neighborhood Vanguard outside of Houston ISD in the suburbs?

7) Is Neighborhood Vanguard and Katy/SB Gifted and Talented) similar in the way classes are set up? In other words, neighborhood schools were kids are pulled out of class for special sections once or twice a week.

Thanks in advance for all of the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 06:48 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Vanguard is their GT label.

Magnet vanguard is better than neighborhood vanguard, unless the neighborhood vanguard is at a great campus. Then it's fairly equal.

Magnet vanguards offer more specifically geared for the gifted child, but it is getting more difficult to get in one. TH Rogers, River oaks, herod, and Askew are all great campuses. Some have other special programs like classes for special needs kids.

The regular magnets have some pretty great campuses and programs.

You can apply to both, and there are separate forms for each.

Visit the campuses during magnet weeks and see what fits your child the best.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:55 PM

Thanks, Meyerland. It's a shame that it's getting tougher for qualified Vanguard students to get into the Vanguard Magnets. I saw some admission rates were in the 20-30 percent range for them (and I assume that is only for qualified students), but I wonder what the real rate is, since parents are likely filling out 5 options for schools, and in theory, that can be used to make it appear as if each student has applied to 5 schools.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:25 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,214,982 times
if your 6-9 with a jumpshot, you can go anywhere

Old 04-16-2014, 07:53 AM

90 posts, read 161,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Not necessarily true with vanguard magnet schools. It's a binary qualify or don't qualify, and then it's a lottery to see if you get a spot. You could be 6-11, with a great handle, a great jumpshot, quick hands and STILL not get in if your lottery number is high

Old 04-16-2014, 09:20 AM

914 posts, read 1,831,815 times
If you are a great athlete, fairly intelligent, and bring diversity, you can get a full boat ride at one of the elite private schools.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:33 AM

48 posts, read 89,017 times
Is this true only for middle school applications or also elementary ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKennedy View Post
If you are a great athlete, fairly intelligent, and bring diversity, you can get a full boat ride at one of the elite private schools.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:06 PM

914 posts, read 1,831,815 times
Middle and high school.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Unfortunately, I'm not actually Justise Winslow or Rasheed Sulaimon

Therefore, I've got to figure out how exactly the Vanguard and Magnet lotteries work in regular cases.

For example, take someone who is zoned in Bellaire. What are the odds that if their kid qualifies, he will be able to get into middle school at one of Pin Oak, Lanier, or TH Rogers? Or in the Heights, the odds of attending Hamilton, Lanier, or Rogers? Since it's not all the eggs in one basket but are the odds pretty high?

Old 04-16-2014, 04:20 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,326 times
It's a lottery. Some win, some lose. People will tell you, don't worry, you'll get in! Because they did or know people who did. I just spoke to a mom whose kid got into all four competitive middle schools to which he applied. But I also hear about folks who apply to multiple magnets and get in nowhere. That was, in fact, our experience with elementary. I hope we have better luck with middle school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: