Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 10:52 AM

4 posts, read 10,318 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We have moved to Houston for work and are looking at finding a place in Houston. After considering time to go to office, neighbourhoods, our housing requirements, budget, we decided to build a place in Telfair, Sugarland. Can you help us on understanding if Telfair in Sugarland is worth building a place. One of the biggest point is where the economy stands and how we might go into recession.

Also, we are a couple with no plans of kids in near future. Hence we are considering Patio homes. Can anyone tell us more about David Weekly, Darling, Ryland, Newmark builders?

Lastly, we wanted to know more about re-selling Patio homes.

Thanks in advance. Any help will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 03:09 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,382,347 times
Personally I wouldn't buy a patio home outside of Central Houston, especially not with the problems production builders are going to face and have already started to face. Patio homes are one of the hardest resales in distant suburbs. Most people who move out there have kids and are doing it because they can't afford a house, with a yard, in a good school district in Houston.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:09 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,706,059 times
I think telfair is fool's gold. If you need to stay in sugarland I'd go resale.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Most people who move out there have kids and are doing it because they can't afford a house, with a yard, in a good school district in Houston.
lol that statement definitley wouldn't apply to sugarland, woodlands, cypress and katy.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:18 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,382,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
lol that statement definitley wouldn't apply to sugarland, woodlands, cypress and katy.
So you're saying those people WANT to be stuck traffic two hours a day? I still say if they could hit their price range, house size and schooling needs within 15 minutes of work, they'd be on it like white on rice.
Of course if they work out there, that's totally different.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:14 PM

4 posts, read 10,318 times
Thanks for your input. Builders are giving alot of upgrades on their houses, since the market is tough. If the upgrades are around 5% of the property and some or most of the closing costs, do you think it is still a bad bargain?

Regards

Old 12-08-2007, 09:24 PM

832 posts, read 3,842,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Also, Kingwood

Old 12-08-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssid19 View Post
Thanks for your input. Builders are giving alot of upgrades on their houses, since the market is tough. If the upgrades are around 5% of the property and some or most of the closing costs, do you think it is still a bad bargain?

Regards
Let me break it down to you like this, Sugar Land is a very nice city, Tele Fair is banking on the fact that they are the last new home development being built out there, they are charging a premium to live out there. Never mind the fact that some of these news publication has voted Sugar Land as one of the best places to live made matters even worse. The problem I have with Sugar Land is that it's way too close to SouthWest Houston (crime-ville). Also the fact that the 59(it's main artery) is probably the worse freeway in the city. At least the Katy freeway is under construction and being expanded. In my opinion Sugar Land has seen the best of it's time, keep in the mind that even if you go resale the homes will not be as energy efficient/up-to-date as the new built homes. I would recommend Sienna Plantation or Lake Olympia if you're looking for a new home and want to stay near that area.

BTW, this form was very helpful for my wife and I relocation search. I just want to return the favor to new residence in our city. Keep in mind that you have a lot of realtors on this message board who tend to be bias towards certian cities. I would suggest you take everything with a grain of salt and check things out for yourself.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
So you're saying those people WANT to be stuck traffic two hours a day? I still say if they could hit their price range, house size and schooling needs within 15 minutes of work, they'd be on it like white on rice.
Of course if they work out there, that's totally different.
I live in Katy, when I was working in downtown Houston, TX I NEVER had to drive over an hour to make it to work. So, I'm calling BS on that statement. As far as living in the city of Houston, to each its own, outside of the Memorial area, Galleria, Rice Village, and River Oaks I didn't see any in that crap-hole that I would wnat to raise a family in. Did I mention that HISD is pathetic? Not to mention Houston PD and Harris County is the worse ran organization that I'd ever seen. Let me just put it to you this way, I could have afforded to live in most places within the city of Houston, but it was never in our plans. Have you ever heard of White-Flight (and I'm not even white)?

Old 12-09-2007, 01:46 AM

50 posts, read 62,095 times
Quote:
Personally I wouldn't buy a patio home outside of Central Houston, especially not with the problems production builders are going to face and have already started to face. Patio homes are one of the hardest resales in distant suburbs. Most people who move out there have kids and are doing it because they can't afford a house, with a yard, in a good school district in Houston.
I think longevity of a neighborhood is important where ever you buy. Older patio homes in better locations might not be a difficult resell.You might compromise sq ft, but you will get a better location for needs in Telfair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston