U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-08-2007, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
788 posts, read 1,729,409 times
Reputation: 595

Advertisements

Hello,
I will be moving to houston in a Month and I was wondering how the beaches are there. I heard Galveston has some nice Beaches. I've also heard that Corpus Christi has nicer beaches than Galveston. How are the beaches around Houston???

 
Old 12-08-2007, 01:32 PM
 
Location: FL/TX Coasts
1,414 posts, read 2,942,612 times
Reputation: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Hello,
I will be moving to houston in a Month and I was wondering how the beaches are there. I heard Galveston has some nice Beaches. I've also heard that Corpus Christi has nicer beaches than Galveston. How are the beaches around Houston???
I am not sure where you are moving from ! but I would keep you hopes little down for those beautiful beaches. I would not recommend swimming in Galveston, all the polution diluted into the Gulf by the Mississippi river gets dragged counter clockwise along the gulf coast. You may wanna just enjoy the scenery fomr land.
 
Old 12-08-2007, 01:47 PM
MxL
 
Location: Michigan
92 posts, read 376,457 times
Reputation: 66
From what I've heard and read (I'm moving soon too), Corpus Christi is nice and South Padre Island is the best. Obviously those aren't Houston beaches but they're a road trip away. The general rule of thumb is the further south you go down the coast, the nicer the beaches and water. I've heard some negative things about the beaches at Galveston, but some really good things about the town itself.
 
Old 12-08-2007, 05:15 PM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 8,426,246 times
Reputation: 510
Houston has no beaches. What's generally consider as the beach area of Houston is actually Galveston, which is about 45 minutes away. The water is not really blue, but I assure you that it's perfectly safe, health wise.

If you've ever been to the beach in NYC, well, that's what you can expect here.

Galveston - Beach & Residential Photos 060307
 
Old 12-08-2007, 05:36 PM
 
Location: 77059
7,725 posts, read 18,213,456 times
Reputation: 3778
There was a guy whose legs got nailed by flesh eating bacteria from swimming in Galveston. But he was diabetic and probably not taking the best care of himself. This is also another story:

TOP STORIES | Breaking Houston News, Weather, Sports, Traffic, Video from KHOU.com | 11 News (http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou040722_cn_vibriofollow.14f15a9.html - broken link)

You should be OK if you're reasonably healthy but this native still doesn't take his shoes off there.

The closest thing we have to a beach in Houston is Clear Lake, on the SE corner. It's a brackish (salt water) lake that drains into Galveston Bay, but it's polluted with mercury so I wouldn't suggest getting too close or eating any fish out of there. Lots of boating to do out there, though.
 
Old 12-08-2007, 05:49 PM
 
Location: A little suburb of Houston
3,700 posts, read 11,270,240 times
Reputation: 1888
Quote:
Originally Posted by MxL View Post
From what I've heard and read (I'm moving soon too), Corpus Christi is nice and South Padre Island is the best. Obviously those aren't Houston beaches but they're a road trip away. The general rule of thumb is the further south you go down the coast, the nicer the beaches and water. I've heard some negative things about the beaches at Galveston, but some really good things about the town itself.

I hope you understand by the words "road trip" in Texas terms we mean 5-8 hr drive and an overnight stay.
 
Old 12-08-2007, 05:56 PM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 8,426,246 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
There was a guy whose legs got nailed by flesh eating bacteria from swimming in Galveston. But he was diabetic and probably not taking the best care of himself. This is also another story:

TOP STORIES | Breaking Houston News, Weather, Sports, Traffic, Video from KHOU.com | 11 News (http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou040722_cn_vibriofollow.14f15a9.html - broken link)

You should be OK if you're reasonably healthy but this native still doesn't take his shoes off there.
So why are they still letting people get in the water? I didn't know Galveston had that kind of problem.

Quote:
The closest thing we have to a beach in Houston is Clear Lake, on the SE corner. It's a brackish (salt water) lake that drains into Galveston Bay, but it's polluted with mercury so I wouldn't suggest getting too close or eating any fish out of there. Lots of boating to do out there, though.
I didn't even think that area was worth mentioning.
 
Old 12-08-2007, 05:58 PM
 
Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 5,740,300 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Houston has no beaches. What's generally consider as the beach area of Houston is actually Galveston, which is about 45 minutes away. The water is not really blue, but I assure you that it's perfectly safe, health wise.

If you've ever been to the beach in NYC, well, that's what you can expect here.

Galveston - Beach & Residential Photos 060307
umm wanna see the beach in the Bronx(ya, that dump in NYC)?

(this is not like galveston)


(this is not like galveston)


you have to go thru a protected park area first before you get to the beach. we used this huge parking lot for some regional racing events - its huge people skate, fly kites/toy planes, hold meets and everything

i wonder if you really have any idea about NY. that state is pretty serious about preservation
but i guess you just mean to say that Galveston is like an industrial waste dump like most waters near a busy city. i would agree.
 
Old 12-08-2007, 06:14 PM
 
Location: 77059
7,725 posts, read 18,213,456 times
Reputation: 3778
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
So why are they still letting people get in the water? I didn't know Galveston had that kind of problem.
I guess because this is America and you can basically do what you want, so long as you're not negatively affecting someone else's well-being. Or perhaps it's a money thing for Galveston they don't want to drive down to zero. But the information is out there for everyone who chooses to look for it.

galveston flesh eating bacteria - Google Search

People who have poor health should generally stay away from the elements, anyway. A rule of thumb on ANY Texas coast is to keep your clothes and shoes on!

And I just mentioned Clear Lake because it is still Houston, the OP asked for beaches in Houston, and it's the only large body of salt water inside Houston.
 
Old 12-08-2007, 07:23 PM
 
Location: A little suburb of Houston
3,700 posts, read 11,270,240 times
Reputation: 1888
The bacteria is present in may other bodies of water along the Gulf Coast. There are also some really nasty bacteria that cause nueral problems off the coast of virgina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top