U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-13-2007, 11:22 AM

32 posts, read 20,471 times
I lived in Houston for 4 years and moved back to NY last year. Go figure.

To the guy who's excessively "selling" the city to latina, it's one thing to have pride of your city and another thing to blatantly lie. Don't make it seem what it isn't. Come on, who goes to NASA?

Houston was good the first year or two I was there. Actually I had a great time. But after that it quickly went downhill. Everything got so boring and I really felt I seen everything there was to see from the city. It's a big city but small city, know what I mean? I think there's a reason why most residents are locals or from other Texas cities. Not many people leave or come in. I was the odd one who moved there for college from out-of-state.

Also, by the way I also briefly lived in Atlanta - one year. Atlanta is no New York, but there's "more to do" than Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-13-2007, 11:44 AM

7,593 posts, read 16,333,759 times
Some folks here just like to sugar coat things due to this and that. Slamming on people who live in the suburbs is a pastime for a lot of ignorant "inner-loopers." They don't stop to think maybe some of these now-suburban folk actually grew up in both the suburbs and city, and then lived in inside 610 for a few years after college. Wow, like me! No matter where you decide to live, Houston entertainment grows old by age 30ish if you're married, and different priorities take hold. Some just don't realize it yet, and some simply refuse to accept it. I try to keep it as real as possible in here, as to not provide a blatant disservice to outsiders.

But yeah, it IS odd for an outsider to move here for college. (Rice U is a very small school relatively speaking.) Most college students here are locals who commute everywhere they go, and will work, live and eventually be buried here.

Unread 12-13-2007, 11:58 AM

4,085 posts, read 7,894,282 times
And some people post responses that have very little to do with what the OP is asking and everything to do with their own personal, strange agendas. I imagine it gets annoying and confusing for newcomers to have to sift through the debates over stupid minor points that have nothing to do with the original question being asked to find useful information. I know it drives me batty!

So you find Houston boring! Who cares?? The OP, who's a single mother with a four-year-old son, said she didn't want to live in the suburbs; she indicated she wanted to live close in. Ergo, she needs to be advised to move inside the loop (or perhaps just outside it, in Uptown, Spring Branch, Meyerland, etc.) If you disagree and want to recommend another neighborhood, by all means do so! You're not doing anyone a service by not responding directly to her/his inquiry.

Unread 12-13-2007, 12:06 PM

The OP wanted "advice and thoughts." And here they are.

Seriously, thumb through the threads in here and I'd say 3/4 of them get somewhat derailed in one way or the other!

Unread 12-13-2007, 12:28 PM

32 posts, read 20,471 times
I was referring to blueye_txguy's overzealous euphemisms of the city. When someone is making a major life-changing decision, they don't want to hear "sales talk". You've got to be as critical of the city's shortcomings as well as its strengths. Houston's not a bad city. As someone else said, it's a good place to live if you're from there and have family roots but not a place to move to.

Personally, I would stay in NY. If you must choose, I think Atlanta has more to offer than Houston. Just my 2 cents. If you guys disagree with me that's fine.

Unread 12-13-2007, 01:12 PM

197 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSLLC View Post
I lived in Houston for 4 years and moved back to NY last year. Go figure.

To the guy who's excessively "selling" the city to latina, it's one thing to have pride of your city and another thing to blatantly lie. Don't make it seem what it isn't. Come on, who goes to NASA?

Houston was good the first year or two I was there. Actually I had a great time. But after that it quickly went downhill. Everything got so boring and I really felt I seen everything there was to see from the city. It's a big city but small city, know what I mean? I think there's a reason why most residents are locals or from other Texas cities. Not many people leave or come in. I was the odd one who moved there for college from out-of-state.

Also, by the way I also briefly lived in Atlanta - one year. Atlanta is no New York, but there's "more to do" than Houston.

Do people really use NASA as a "selling" point? Lame. However "there's more to do in Atlanta"? I honestly doubt that.

Unread 12-13-2007, 07:39 PM

I can't speak for Atlanta other than it has much more of that typical Southern scenic beauty than we do.

NASA is a "selling" point to a lot of international tourists it seems. If you're a nerdy native like me, it's a good place to visit every 5 years with a coupon. You'll get to see museum-like exhibits, watch some shows, go on the tour of the actual mission control, get beaten up by gangs of kids in the jungle gym, and hear their spiel about ''going to the moon in 2010 and going to Mars in 2020.'' (Pfft, yeah maybe in a Hollywood basement! )

If one prefers booze/drugs/clubbing, or say, having inane discussions about trendy tofu and handbags ... compared to nerdy stuff ... NASA will bore him/her to tears!

Unread 12-13-2007, 09:22 PM

12 posts, read 24,374 times
It depends on what you are looking. Houston is very big and all kind of rents are available. A great source will be to contact a Realtor. Any Realtor should be able to help you. That will be the first thing I will do before I plan my move to a big city. Houston is really big and everything is well spread. Your job and kids school should be your guide as where you want to be. You can easily could spend over 2 hrs or more commuting if you settle in the wrong side of town.

Unread 12-14-2007, 11:18 AM

23 posts, read 57,063 times
Best I would stay look in Spring-Cypress Area best school Most Teachers try to above grade level upto 2 levels my 2 sons one 6 and one 5 the oldest teacher says he is reading on 3rd grade beginner level and just got to the 1st grade the youngest is reading and has yet to get in school. We are 40 min from downtown med-center but 10 min from Tomball med-center and Woodlands. look in these zip's 77379 best 77380,77375

Unread 12-14-2007, 12:11 PM

23 posts, read 57,063 times
Also 77388
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston