Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 04:40 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,439,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Yes, they're always the problem. It's never the guy doing 60 in a 45, or the idiot with half of his truck in the bike lane because he doesn't "see anyone there".
Yes, on a major thoroughfare with no bike lane during rush hour, the bicyclist is always the problem.

It's no different than the person driving 55 mph on I-10 between San Antonio and Houston in the left lane. He doesn't think he's the problem, but he is.

Quote:
You're clearly one-sided on this, and you're not even trying to hide it.
One sided? I'm one of the people advocating more bike lanes and only have an issue with bikes on major thoroughfares during rush hour. How is that one sided?

One sided is "Bikes aren't the problem, cars are."

Quote:
Like most states, motor fuel tax only pays for a percentage of roadways. The rest comes from other taxes and funds, which all people are paying for in some form or fashion.
Please break down the % of the budget that comes from gas taxes, registration fees and then other sources. Links please.

Quote:
Your logic also rests on the flawed assumption that cyclists don't own vehicles. Since I'm sure many if not most of them do, they would be paying for road use with your alleged user fees of gas tax and car registration. How about pedestrians? Can they not use the crosswalks if they haven't contributed to said user fees?
If I own two cars, I have to pay for each vehicles registration fees. I don't get to say, "Well, I paid for that one, so I don't need to pay anything towards this one."

Pedestrians? Really? Pedestrians aren't allowed to walk down the roads. The can be ticketed.

Quote:
You claim that requiring cyclists to take on certain taxes and fees would give them a right to road use and that they would subsequently earn the respect of motorists. You and I both know that's a lie. If fellow motorists can't even respect each other, there's no way they'll give any kind of breathing room to people on bicycles.
No. Cyclists need to pay fees to help with the costs of more bike lanes.

People will respect cyclists in bike lanes but not the ones screwing up traffic at rush hour.

Quote:
If they aren't breaking any laws, this is something I suggest you just get over. On any given day, my trip from Point A to Point B is always interrupted by a motorist and not a cyclist.
Whenever I've encountered a cyclist on a major thoroughfare without bike lanes during rush hour, they are screwing things up much worse than the vast majority of cars are.

Quote:
Honestly, I'm starting to feel like a lot of the resentment towards cyclists comes from those people who don't have the will or courage to do what they do.
It takes no courage to be inconsiderate and have the holier than thou attitude, "I'm going to use my bike on Weslayan at 5:30 regardless of what those car people think and how bad it backs up traffic."

It takes no courage to stand in front of a building entrance blocking a door while talking to a friend. It takes no courage to yack on your cell phone when you get called to the front of the line while you slow down everybody behind you. It takes no courage to leave your shopping cart in the middle of the aisle blocking others from passing as you look at the calorie count of the different bagels.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:45 PM

7 posts, read 6,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
No. He was riding down a major road at rush hour with a big sign sticking out from his bike for no other reason then to p*ss everyone off. That's not constructive, that's selfish and antagonistic.
Cyclists are not blocking traffic, they *are* traffic. Cycling isn't just for recreation. Some people ride to get to and from work. Not everyone can afford or wants a car. The state of Texas classifies bikes as vehicles, so if you don't agree go take it up with the legislature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
I actually support anything that makes riding safer but the attitude that the only solution is the status quo on laws that have existed as long as I've been alive is, to steal a phrase, pig headed at best.
The three foot safe passing ordinance was passed into law last year by City Council.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It takes no courage to be inconsiderate and have the holier than thou attitude, "I'm going to use my bike on Weslayan at 5:30 regardless of what those car people think and how bad it backs up traffic."
This is the crux of the problem. This is a public safety issue, but you and others view it as a convenience issue. It took you 20 seconds to safely pass a cyclist by changing lanes, and now you're going to rage about it for hours. Your convenience is not more important than others' safety, and bikes are a legitimate form of transportation as far as the laws of Texas are concerned.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:01 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,439,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejack View Post
This is the crux of the problem. This is a public safety issue, but you and others view it as a convenience issue. It took you 20 seconds to safely pass a cyclist by changing lanes, and now you're going to rage about it for hours. Your convenience is not more important than others' safety, and bikes are a legitimate form of transportation as far as the laws of Texas are concerned.
No, it's a common sense issue.

Rage? Seriously, you think my discussing this is a rage? Well, wouldn't the world be a great place if this is how everybody went into a rage? I think at one point I used the word "silly".

Any honest person who has seen a cyclist in the scenario I keep pointing out will acknowledge that it is not a safe or efficient situation.

Hey, but if you believe my solution of more bike lanes is flawed, let me know, and I'll make sure to vote against it if I ever have the option on a ballot.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Any honest person who has seen a cyclist in the scenario I keep pointing out will acknowledge that it is not a safe or efficient situation.
Nice No True Scotsman fallacy. Anyone who disagrees with you isn't being honest. Switching more people from cars to bikes creates a lot less traffic. While there may be some challenges with passing, in general they're taking up a lot less space that would be occupied by a car.

Quote:
Hey, but if you believe my solution of more bike lanes is flawed, let me know, and I'll make sure to vote against it if I ever have the option on a ballot.
I support bike lanes, and where they're not present I support cyclists riding in the road. We're never going to reach a density of bike lanes that riding on roads is never necessary. Not all cyclists are just out for a fun ride, some are actually living their lives, like going to the grocery store, or going to work.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:51 PM

27 posts, read 245,155 times
His main objective is to let people know about the new law. He has gotten lots more attention than the PSA the city of Houston made about the new law.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:12 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,708,407 times
Quote:
I have posted on this board several times about how Houston should be spending more money now on things like public transportation and bike lanes. I've said many times that we need to start seriously investing now. My argument has been that as Houston density increases, there is not enough room to expand roads inside the loop any further. I've said that as property values continue to grow, there will be less parking. In order for Houston to be a competitive city and a city people are drawn to, we need to understand that our core cannot remain car centric.

If you look for some of the older threads talking about public transportation in Houston, you will find one of these comments I've made.

My points here are:
1. We need more bike lanes.
2. Bike riders need to have skin in the game.
3. People riding bikes on major thoroughfares need to be properly trained; therefore, licensing (to ride on these thoroughfares) should be required.
4. Bikes should be restricted from major thoroughfares without bike lanes during rush hours.

Is there any particular point you are opposed? If so, why?
Point one I absolutely agree with you about, but that's clearly not your major concern with cyclists. Your concern judging by the amount of words you dedicate to the topic, is overwhelmingly the regulation of the cyclist.

I don't know how to respond to point two since it's quite obvious that cyclist have WAY more "skin in the game" than do the drivers.

Point three and four would require a whole new legal category for the cyclist and probably for the pedestrian too and I'm not sure how you'd approach this. In general, points three and four both seem to undercut your usual pseudo-libertarian stance since they would take a lot of money to get these done and it would also mean more government restriction.

The very fact that you needed to "distill" what your actual points are, though, is proof that these points don't match your rhetoric, which simply baits progressives into responding. My issue with that rhetoric is simply that you know better.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:34 PM

498 posts, read 832,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejack View Post
Except that he is just using his voice and expressing his opinion.
Which part about the flag scratching cars as they drive by is just "vocal"? My issue with this biker is that instead of educating drivers that they still need to give bikers 3 feet even if they each have their own lane, he's only making them mad as they don't understand that he's trying to teach them by example, but instead just assume that he's acting out in frustration.

The problem with the dedicated bike lane in Houston is that drivers in the outside lane next to it assume that because the biker has their own lane, they don't have to give them the same 3 foot courtesy they would if they shared the driver's lane. I'm not saying the driver is right for making such an assumption, I'm just stating what even I thought up until this thread was posted, as I wasn't intimately familiar with the new 3 foot ordinance like most other Houstonians out there.

Here's my question though: What happens when stopped at an intersection by a traffic light, this biker in his dedicated lane with no bikes in front of him moves to the front of the intersection? Wouldn't his pole and flag scrape all the sides of the cars that are stopped in front of him as he over takes them? Does he practice what he preaches and stops at the back of the line of cars so as to not scratch the cars that obviously aren't required to give him 3 feet because they're already in front of him, and stopped?

Quote:
Yes, they're always the problem. It's never the guy doing 60 in a 45, or the idiot with half of his truck in the bike lane because he doesn't "see anyone there".
Unrelated, one of my many driving pet-peeves (among non-turn signal usage for lane changes and right hand turns, slow left lane cruisers, and drivers who read anything from a phone to a book to a phone book) are drivers who pull past the solid white stop stripe at intersections and stop only at the last of the 3 stripes, which signifies the further boundary of the pedestrian crosswalk - especially downtown.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:53 PM

644 posts, read 1,346,380 times
I think I'm going to start riding with a flag, but I'll add a piece of rebar to end... in the last week I've been buzzed by three drivers and run off the road by one. My safety is paramount. If you won't give me three feet, then maybe you deserve to have your paint job wrecked. Cuz the alternative is I'm lying dead in the bike lane.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:33 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,761,220 times
Nice knowing you. How childish.... If your safety is paramount just stay off the god damn streets... don't get out there and be an effing hero.... one day we will sort this sh*it out but till then stop provoking drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
I think I'm going to start riding with a flag, but I'll add a piece of rebar to end... in the last week I've been buzzed by three drivers and run off the road by one. My safety is paramount. If you won't give me three feet, then maybe you deserve to have your paint job wrecked. Cuz the alternative is I'm lying dead in the bike lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston