Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 12:23 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,777,212 times

Advertisements

I wasn't at the BOT meeting last night but am told there's now an alternative zoning map that has Telfair (Cornerstone) kicked out of Clements HS and over to Austin HS. Austin HS is more full and expected to become overcrowded eventually -- which is why they had Telfair to be zoned to Clements before. But I wonder if the protest coming from Clements parents caused this latest update. If so and if I lived in Telfair, I'd be very upset that the district would be more swayed by who yells loudest as opposed to what the data suggests is best in the long-term to help with overcrowding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 12:45 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,198,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I wasn't at the BOT meeting last night but am told there's now an alternative zoning map that has Telfair (Cornerstone) kicked out of Clements HS and over to Austin HS. Austin HS is more full and expected to become overcrowded eventually -- which is why they had Telfair to be zoned to Clements before. But I wonder if the protest coming from Clements parents caused this latest update. If so and if I lived in Telfair, I'd be very upset that the district would be more swayed by who yells loudest as opposed to what the data suggests is best in the long-term to help with overcrowding.
Great in theory, but these are elected positions. Politicians in general go with the squeaky wheel.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Great in theory, but these are elected positions. Politicians in general go with the squeaky wheel.
The point of this new administration there (new Superintendent and several new BOTs) was to be rid of those past bad ways of doing things such as quick fixes instead of long-term solutions and stability, for one. Or so we're told...

Old 11-18-2014, 12:53 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,198,909 times
And Guantanamo was supposed to be closed, the Patriot Act repealed, then the Tea party was going to change everything from within, and then Congress and the White House were going to work together...all great ideas, until it's your butt in the chair, and can't look longer than the next election cycle.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
And Guantanamo was supposed to be closed, the Patriot Act repealed, then the Tea party was going to change everything from within, and then Congress and the White House were going to work together...all great ideas, until it's your butt in the chair, and can't look longer than the next election cycle.
I'm pretty sure there are other school districts that are doing a better job on this issue than FBISD was/is doing. So it is possible. That's all. They had a decent rezoning proposal last month they should have stuck with.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:10 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,641,953 times
I wasn't there either last night. If I lived in Telfair, I would be upset too. Austin will be too overcrowded. Anyone hear anything about the Riverstone proposals? I haven't been able to find anything out.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:46 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,959,873 times
I heard they placed the Riverstone ES back to FSMS. Avalon in Riverstone is being moved to Clements and be part of Commonwealth zone.

Creekstone in Riverstone looks like will no longer be in the new ES.

I don't know about the rest.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:51 PM

164 posts, read 362,621 times
Plan A is Telfair zone to Clements. Plan B is Telfair zone to Austin. Plan A is long term solution. Plan B is short term fix and will rezone in 3-5 years. However BOT favors plan B due to community feedback. (Riverstone and Clements old communities are against plan A)

If BOT decide to go with plan B, Walker Station will zone to Travis. New Territory will be pissed. So is Aliana.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:04 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,179,522 times
and they backed down for the academies to be dissolved...FBISD is very weak at times

Old 11-18-2014, 04:18 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,641,953 times
Yes, I got an email outlining the new plans after I posted. The alternative to plan A from the first round keeps Telfair at Clements, NT at Austin, and Riverstone at FSMS. Wonder why they don't go with that plan. Oh yeah, Clements doesn't want Telfair. I wonder if they will fight against Avalon at Riverstone too.

And what is funny is that parts of Avalon at Riverstone are closer to the new ES 47 than I am from my Riverstone house.

What a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston