Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2014, 01:50 PM

174 posts, read 404,530 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I am confused. Can anyone tell me what's the current FBISD plan for Telfair rezoning ? What's the option the FBISD laid out. Is it now Telfair will be rezoned to Austin instead of Clements ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 02:38 PM

377 posts, read 1,341,376 times
Exactly. But they should not change policies and recommendations just because some people are not satisfied. Then there is no point in spending all these money to an ‘independent’ agency to analyze the data and come-up with unbiased recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Hawkeye View Post
As a resident of the the west side of NT, I would be incredibly amused if such a plan went through. I know at least a dozen families who moved to the east side of NT over the last 8 years, only because they wanted to send their kids to Austin HS. My oldest attends Travis, and it's a very solid high school. There's a little riff-raff there right now, but all of the plans show those neighborhoods being re-zoned to Bush HS.

People put way too much emphasis on the zoning boundaries of these schools. The bricks and the historical rankings of a school have a negligible effect on the quality of an education provided. The single, largest factor is having a school full of kids with parents that care about their education. I chose my neighborhood solely because of this. It doesn't matter where they send us, our neighborhood will raise these fickle rankings just by being loaded full of like-minded families who pay attention to their childrens' education.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:39 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,641,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathz View Post
Sorry, I am confused. Can anyone tell me what's the current FBISD plan for Telfair rezoning ? What's the option the FBISD laid out. Is it now Telfair will be rezoned to Austin instead of Clements ?
The new plan B has Telfair going to Austin, not Clements. This still has to all be voted on by the board. Nothing is set in stone though.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
The new plan B has Telfair going to Austin, not Clements. This still has to all be voted on by the board. Nothing is set in stone though.
So for the plan B, will there be any impact on New Territory ? is NT, for the current sections that zoned to Austin, still zoned to Austin ?

Old 11-19-2014, 05:34 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,641,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathz View Post
So for the plan B, will there be any impact on New Territory ? is NT, for the current sections that zoned to Austin, still zoned to Austin ?
That I can't answer.
Has FBISD put the plans on the web yet?

Old 11-19-2014, 07:30 PM

1,903 posts, read 3,201,744 times
Plan C: Build new high school in Telfair as originally planned. Rezone New Territory and Imperial to it. Keep everyone else where they are.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:11 PM

139 posts, read 154,317 times
I live near Clements and most of my neighbors are for Telfair zoning into Clements, citing it would be beneficial in the long run. Of course there are those which are against, but I doubt they have the pull to force the board to reconsider. There is a lot of construction along the southern stretch of University Blvd. I would think that is a major factor. In my opinion, zoning should be based on distance. Keeping entire subdivisions together forces communities to pit against each other. I had good friends in elementary school and we all split into different middle schools and again in high school. In hindsight, it better prepared me for college.

FBISD must be made part of city planning, be given authority to levy taxes / fees on developers. Each week, new homes are completed and expansion goes unobstructed - schools should not be an after thought - it should be part of the initial planning just like water, sewage and utilties. The schools north of 59 are maxed out, yet there are plans for new constructions - that is absurd.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:07 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,777,212 times
Scenario/Plan B includes this ridiculous proposal to move a neighborhood (Old Orchard) away from its current two schools which are in walking distance, to schools that are much further and across the Grand Parkway (which is now a major toll road). I see the current middle school is <1 mile away and the current high school (Austin) is <1.5 miles away.

When I saw the complete idiocy of that part of the proposal, I could hardly believe it.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:39 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,999,319 times
Also, as far as Clements, I live walking distance from it, I'm not sure where they get their projection that Clements will continue to be underutilized. First Colony (the parts zoned to Clements) is undergoing a massive demographic shift and empty nesters are moving out and families with newborns to middle school aged kids are moving in at a pretty quick rate.

For now the Telfair added students could be absorbed easily, but in 6-7 years another re-zoning may be necessary.

Sending all of Telfair to Clements seems like a shortsighted over correction that will have to be dealt with again, and soon.

As far as me, I don't care if Riverstone or Telfair kids are sent to Clements. The kids and parents seem to be cut from the same cloth education-wise. I just don't want my kids going to an overcrowded school when it gets to that point.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Scenario/Plan B includes this ridiculous proposal to move a neighborhood (Old Orchard) away from its current two schools which are in walking distance, to schools that are much further and across the Grand Parkway (which is now a major toll road). I see the current middle school is <1 mile away and the current high school (Austin) is <1.5 miles away.

When I saw the complete idiocy of that part of the proposal, I could hardly believe it.
So for Scenario B, is it both Old Orchard and New Territory will be zoned to Travis ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston