Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 09:15 AM

3 posts, read 2,987 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am a 20 something, single female moving from Philly to Houston in July. Where can I live where I can get culture and a young crowd without breaking my bank account? I like to be involved in the bar scene, but I don't want to be totally surrounded by noise. I also love outdoor activities, so being near a park would be beneficial. Everyone keeps saying Montrose and Heights, but everything I have seen is out of budget. I am working in the Galleria area, so I have been looking at Westchase. I need to be within a 30 minute drive to work with traffic.

Does anyone have any suggestions????

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 10:44 AM

90 posts, read 173,252 times
In order to get meaningful advice, you need to be much more specific

- In dollars, what would be the most you could pay per month?
- Are you looking for an apartment or house to rent? Or a "home" to buy?
- How many bedrooms, baths wanted?
- Any other requirements? (Pool, designated parking, gated complex. etc....)?

You don't mention safety (low-crime location/neighborhood) at all in your original post, but I guess that would be a consideration also. This is not something that can be taken for granted or as a "given" in no-zoning Houston, where things can go from "good" to really "bad" in the distance of a few blocks, or from one side of a major street to the other side.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:12 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,503,054 times
Suggestion?

Increase your budget or decrease your wants.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:47 AM

3 posts, read 2,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imback View Post
In order to get meaningful advice, you need to be much more specific

- In dollars, what would be the most you could pay per month?
- Are you looking for an apartment or house to rent? Or a "home" to buy?
- How many bedrooms, baths wanted?
- Any other requirements? (Pool, designated parking, gated complex. etc....)?

You don't mention safety (low-crime location/neighborhood) at all in your original post, but I guess that would be a consideration also. This is not something that can be taken for granted or as a "given" in no-zoning Houston, where things can go from "good" to really "bad" in the distance of a few blocks, or from one side of a major street to the other side.
No more than $1000/month including utilities. I am just looking to rent-my position is only for 2 years. One bedroom, one bathroom. A parking lot for my car is a must. I dont want to battle for street parking. I dont need any other amenities, but I want to be able to meet people since I dont know anyone in Houston. Safety is a factor, but Im from Philly so I am used to not living in great areas.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:02 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,221,647 times
Default Not much of a problem here...

Look in the craigslist postings in Houston for housing in Montrose, there are still some garage apartments to be had, and will be in the center of everything, and there is a bus that you can take to the Galleria. In fact, living in Midtown/Montrose, you are within easy access of almost all places due to the public transportation options, dare I say, you won't even need a car.

As far as finding a spot, Houston does not have that problem that other, larger cities do, though you will have to hunt for one sometimes in Montrose/Midtown, but nothing like the East Coast, LA, SF, etc.

Good luck.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:07 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,679,707 times
It would be a big mistake to live by Westchase or anything west of the Galleria. A DWI costs a lot more than a few hundred extra in rent. Find a roommate or stretch that budget to about 1200 a month. Try Camden Greenway. I know a bunch of girls that live there. It is 5minutes to the Galleria and 10 to Midtown. It is also a 15 dollar cab ride to midtown from there.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:55 AM

68 posts, read 127,192 times
I live din westchase off westheimer for 2-3yrs and loved it as a single 20 something female. the only thing I hated was traffic sometimes since I worked at greenway plaza and the galleria a the time...it could be tough. but its close enough to weskpark toll and the beltway to get there. best of luck!

Old 05-07-2014, 07:18 AM

31 posts, read 51,994 times
Welcome to Houston, from another Philly-area native!

This was maybe 3 years ago, but I had a GREAT Montrose apartment in a smaller complex that was under $1000/mo. They didn't have enough spaces for all the tenants, but there was parking, and tons of street parking if the spaces were full. I had to give up a little - no laundry in my unit, only on site - but it was great. I got it through In the Loop Properties (Houston Apartments | In The Loop Properties) - they manage a ton of smaller, garden style complexes in Montrose/Midtown and their prices are very reasonable. I loved renting from them. I would suggest contacting them with your needs/timeline and seeing what they can do for you.

Also look on har.com for lease properties, zip codes 77006, 77019 are the main Montrose area ones to look at.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:27 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,788,217 times
Here's a house for $750 in Rice Military.

Behold: The Second Cheapest Rental in Central Houston | Houstonia Magazine

Old 05-07-2014, 08:58 AM

60 posts, read 96,150 times
As a 20 something living in Westchase (I own a home, though) I wouldn't look in Westchase. I love where I live but I'm here for more than two years and am not that involved in the bar scene so Its close enough for me to drive 10-15 minutes to get to the major bar areas when I'm in the mood (Westchase has a few hidden gems but I'd like to keep it that way). But, it sounds like you have more of an interest in going more often. A few things. To get under $1000 including bills and be in the loop will be tough. Your best and only bet is looking at older apartments. Before I bought my house a couple years ago I was close to renting at Bayou Park for a couple reasons. My rent budget was way lower than my Mortgage budget If I was going to buy and at that time I think rent at bayou Park was around $800 a month. Its location is amazing, right off memorial dr, has a couple pools, a giant gym overlooking the park on the back side of the apartment. Its probably 2-3 miles to the galleria, 1 mile to the awesome and expansive memorial park, walking distance to Washington Ave, 2 miles to midtown, 3 miles to downtown. I'd start my search there If I were you. However, Who knows what rent is like now since it seems apartments inside the loop have been raising rents by 25% a year the past couple years. Any even cheaper option might be Memorial Club Apartments which is close to Galleria, Memorial Park, Washington Ave etc.
There's where I would start. I'd look for older apartments in 77007, 77019, 77027, 77056. and if you come out to Westchase I'd stick with something Inside the beltway and north of Westheimer. 77063 or the east end of 77042
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: