Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 10:41 AM

785 posts, read 1,234,207 times

Advertisements

I would also say to follow your heart and take the job offer in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 10:43 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyman121 View Post
Thanks for the great advice everyone.

It's been documented it is far more difficult to make decisions between two or more good choices than between two or more bad ones.

I just hope that I could get over my desire to live in NYC-like multicultural environment should I come to The Woodlands. I guess I hope the money and space would help me forget!
Are your children in school yet? Living in NYC is really a pit in terms of the school system. Yes, you can send them to private school, but the competition to get into any schools is insane even at the preschool level. I do think that the Woodlands is better for kids than Manhattan. Not sure about Philly though. I seriously cannot fathom interviews for preschool children to get into the *best* preschools, but I know that is what happens all over NYC.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:16 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,964,944 times
Do it for your kids. Move to NYC. Do not banish them to suburbia.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:25 AM

35 posts, read 71,070 times
My kids are 2.5 years and 6 months old, so right now it's day care.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:35 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,060 times
Watch the documentary called Nursery University before thinking about New York for your kids. That pressure is just for preschool.

I have no advice for you regarding where to move. Everywhere has it's pros and cons. Sometimes it can literally come down to getting out pen and paper and making your pros and cons list and see what comes out ahead.

Good luck in your decision!

Old 05-07-2014, 11:41 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,768,506 times
You are considering Houston\Woodlands over the ultra urban walkable so much more awesome NYC... I am surprised there has been no bashing yet. Heck, we see posts almost daily about how Houston doesn't live up to NYC, Chicago, LA etc.... Not to mention....dare I say it? A suburb!

Sarcasm aside, the Woodlands is awesome and there is nothing wrong with trading in the city life for a more affordable and spread out lifestyle. You just need to know what you are facing. Commuting to all the various museums and such in Houston proper will be a slight chore due to distance but the Woodlands has all the shopping and dining you will need however a regular trip into Houston to try some of the restaraunts is advised. We have some pretty good eating establishments, holes in the wall and food trucks.

Build equity in a large comfortable home that your family will enjoy for less than what you can pay(throw away) in rent...I would have a hard time with that (Suzie Orman and Dave Ramsey would have hear attacks) but I could appreciate ones desire to live somewhere where purchasing is out of reach. I respect that decision, its just not something I would do.

I was worried when I moved here from Chicago that I would not be able to enjoy Houston but I adapted and found it to be a pretty good place to live. Plus the economics (especially when I moved here) are way better and have allowed me to get ready for a comfortable retirement. I didn't however, have to decide between jobs. I do not envy the decision you ae faced with and hope whatever you choose works out well for you. I just wanted to offer some information.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:22 PM

498 posts, read 837,231 times
Since your children are so young, you could work in the Woodlands and save all that money you would have to otherwise spend on cost of living in the north east and use it instead to vacation there.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:24 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Do not banish them to suburbia.
Good point. Two things kids hate are swimming in the backyard pool or playing touch football out front. Besides, there's no "play-date" app for that, and the idea of not getting a popup on the iPhone to be at the park from 6:00 to 7:00 is kind of depressing when you live by calendars and appointments.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:27 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,811,551 times
You've already missed the pre-school boat for a 2.5 year old- competition starts early. And yes the UES is very walkable but you often have no choice but to walk, pushing your strollers in the pouring rain and bitter freezing cold. Not to mention hauling your groceries by hand for blocks or having them delivered for an additional price. (on top of the already obscene prices charged).

And, don't forget that you are paying NY state and NYC taxes, which are not cheap.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:47 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
The Woodlands has plenty of activities for kids

http://woodlandsevents.com/activities/for-the-kids

The Woodlands Children's Museum :: Homepage

Houston Museum of Natural ScienceWoodlands Xploration Station | ArtsHound.com

Live Music - The Woodlands Texas Online Event Resource

Definitely not as much as in the city, but still some things you might be able to get to easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston