Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2014, 08:39 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know about flooding in Falcon Ridge and Eagle Lakes? West Ranch adjoins it and is built up much, much higher. If the two don't flood, wondering if they will when West Ranch is complete. Also wondering about Autumn Creek, its a much newer area.

In 1979, 75% of all homes in Friendswood flooded during a tropical storm and then again in 2001 525 homes flooded. Didn't say specific areas or if it was all over. Found that info on a city Web site about being prepared for floods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 08:41 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Did you check the Flood Map?

Old 05-07-2014, 08:45 PM

Yes I have checked the flood maps but those are only so good and I use them as a guide but don't count on them. Friendswood has areas out of the flood plain that don'tt require flood insurance that have flooded when we have one of those historic rains of 10-20+" and there are areas requiring flood insurance within the 100 yr flood plain that have never flooded. So I know a few of the areas that flood but not familiar with all, so my best resource is someone who has lived there and knows firsthand.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:41 AM

126 posts, read 193,133 times
I've looked at the flood maps in Friendswood (dont know how often they update these maps but I believe the last one is from 2012).
I inquired about this to my builder and he says that with the new additions of contention ponds/lakes it will take a major disaster to flood Friendswood. I dont know if thats true or just him trying to sell me a house.
I still told him I wanted an extra 6" of foundation for my own piece of mind.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:44 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,264,565 times
I grew up in Friendswood. Falcon Ridge did not historically flood. In exceptionally heavy rain, the park & pool on the corner would flood though. I don't believe any of the homes ever flooded though, even during Allision when the creek was over the bridge. Also, since Allison Friendswood and Fema have done extensive drainage projects, and many of the areas that previously flooded no longer flood.

I would not worry too much about west ranch. The new neighborhoods are all required to effect their drainage to their own detention areas. Those giant detention ponds in West Ranch connect to the storm sewer via a restricter plate. So when they start to fill up during heavy rains they will overflow to the storm sewer.

Yes, they are built way way up, but that is because it is far cheaper to build the property up using the dirt from digging the ponds, than it is to haul the dirt away. You can be sure that extensive drainage projects underground ensure that little to no additional water will migrate from West Ranch to Falcon Ridge, or even the creeks.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:16 AM

Appreciate your responses. Thx.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:23 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,129,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locotl View Post
I've looked at the flood maps in Friendswood (dont know how often they update these maps but I believe the last one is from 2012).
I inquired about this to my builder and he says that with the new additions of contention ponds/lakes it will take a major disaster to flood Friendswood. I dont know if thats true or just him trying to sell me a house.
I still told him I wanted an extra 6" of foundation for my own piece of mind.
This is useless advice. Do your own research:

Flood Premiums Rising Dramatically

Harris County Flood Education Mapping Tool

It's more than the risk of flood, its the insurance premiums you will have to pay to cover the risk. Buying in a 100yr flood plain is just asking for trouble.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:55 PM

I know how to look up flood plain for insurance purposes. I just wanted specifics from people who knew the area. Lots of areas in the preferred zone x can and do still flood. So even if I'm not in a flood insurance required area, I would still have insurance because it's fairly cheap when it isn't required. However, I don't want to deal with water intrusion or not being able to get in and out of my neighborhood. For those whose homes are required to have flood insurance, new legislation recently signed by Obama undid a lot of the bad in terms of flood insurance rising rates. Good for homeowners in required areas. I'm only looking at homes in the preferred risk areas.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:31 PM

111 posts, read 218,446 times
We live in Falcon Ridge. The people we bought the house from built it 14 years ago and they said it has never flooded. All the neighbors say the same thing. We opted for optional flood insurance just in case.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:10 AM

126 posts, read 193,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
This is useless advice. Do your own research:

Flood Premiums Rising Dramatically

Harris County Flood Education Mapping Tool

It's more than the risk of flood, its the insurance premiums you will have to pay to cover the risk. Buying in a 100yr flood plain is just asking for trouble.
I did check on my own, but like I said the flood maps are not up to date and the new contention/retention lakes and ponds are not there. So eventhough the house is not on the 100 year flood zone new constructions and new lakes are not considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: