Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 10:04 AM

35 posts, read 71,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post
They don't really have "bad" schools in The Woodlands. They have a choice between "pretty good" schools and "really good" schools. The "pretty good" schools in The Woodlands still generally beat everything else in CISD outside of The Woodlands.
OK, so what distinguishes the "pretty good" from the "really good"? And which ones are the "really good"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 10:15 AM

232 posts, read 462,998 times
You'll sometimes see in the listing description (or you can ask the Realtor) the name of the elementary school that the house is zoned to (e.g. David, Powell). There are no "bad" schools. Some people are very particular and want their kids to go to what is deemed the best so they will live on a certain street to ensure that happens. I don't think you can go wrong if you live in Cochran's Crossing, Alden Bridge or Sterling Ridge.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:33 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,369,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockermom View Post
You'll sometimes see in the listing description (or you can ask the Realtor) the name of the elementary school that the house is zoned to (e.g. David, Powell). There are no "bad" schools. Some people are very particular and want their kids to go to what is deemed the best so they will live on a certain street to ensure that happens. I don't think you can go wrong if you live in Cochran's Crossing, Alden Bridge or Sterling Ridge.
What she said.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
The schools that feed into Grogan's Forest are less desirable...
The "less desirable" schools of Grogan's Forest include Lamar Elementary, Wilkerson Intermediate, Knox Jr High, and The Woodlands College Park. My kids went through all of these schools and have received a top notch education. The only school that has a so-so reputation in the community is Wilkerson, the 5th/ 6th grade school. However, their most recent test scores were right up there with the other Woodlands intermediate schools. If we evaluate the great school ratings, Lamar is rated a 9, Wilkerson is rated a 7, Knox is rated a 10, and College Park an 8. The Woodlands High School is rated a 9. I don't really see a significant difference to justify labeling all these schools "less desirable" to be honest, especially Lamar and Knox. They do serve a higher percentage of economically disadvantaged kids than schools deep in The Woodlands, and my husband and I love this. The schools are a little closer to a real world environment. There is so much more to a school than test scores, but at any rate the test scores are solid at all The Woodlands schools.

As far all the villages go, Grogan's Mill has the old Woodlands feel of being surrounded by nature and biking/hiking paths that traverse the neighborhoods. Homes are older and some are on the golf courses. It is in the front of The Woodlands and close to I-45 for commuting.

Grogan's Forest is also very convenient for those needing to commute, and those wanting to be close to Market Street. It is a mix of patio homes, family homes, and huge mansions. I feel like it is a little cut off from the rest of The Woodlands, and there are not as many routes on the biking/ walking trails.

Panther's Creek is also convenient to Market Street and I-45. It is a nice location close to Northshore Park.

Cochran's Crossing and Indian Springs are your mid-way point, and Sterling Ridge and Alden Bridge are further back. We used to live in Alden Bridge. It is a very nice area, but we found it to be too long a commute to Houston for work.

Creekside is the new development. I believe the schools are in Tomball ISD.

All villages are nice and have their own flavor. It comes down to personal preference, but keep commute time in mind if ever change jobs and need to work outside The Woodlands. Rest assured, all the Woodlands schools are great!

Last edited by SamanthaH6; 05-15-2014 at 12:03 PM..

Old 05-16-2014, 12:55 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyman121 View Post
So what are the more "desirable" elementary schools? Are there stark differences in quality or is it really just preference?

The houses I've seen (on the internet) in Panther creek and Cochran's Crossing are immense and beautiful... Are these bad areas, or only some of the areas bad?
None of it is bad. Just the upper income, newer areas tend to turn their noses up at the older homes with middle class workers in them and consider them bad when they really aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston