Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 07:21 AM

4 posts, read 6,659 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Houston in a few months and I need some information. I like the Southwest Suburbs of Houston (sugarland, Missouri city, etc) but my job will involve covering a territory in the Northeast section of Houston(parts of Montgomery county to downtown up to Conroe possibly over to Liberty county). Is there a practical way to handle that kind of commute or should I just find a place in Northeast Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 07:49 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,661 times
Attempting that is really straight up nonsense. When we talk about our traffic were are not BS'ing you. If you work traditional hours it will be a hellish commute. So many are commuting North from Sugar Land, Missouri City, etc and attempting to live there and drive to Liberty Country on any given day will have you burning through gas like it's water.

You should just find a place in North Houston or ever north of the 610 Loop. Houston is more spread out than you think and everyone and their clan are moving here.

Even during non peak work hours it's still a lot of driving. At the end of the day it won't be worth it.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:01 AM

3 posts, read 7,253 times
First question - where are you relocating from? I came here from Southern California (near L.A.) where traffic is horrible. Houston is the same, but without as many convenient alternate routes to help avoid the traffic. You don't want that commute!

Second question - what are the specific things you like about Sugar Land, Missouri city, etc.? There might be other places that offer what you're looking for without the drive.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:03 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,687 times
I live in NE Houston (Kingwood/Humble area), and it's a good 40-60 minutes to DOWNTOWN. Add another 35-45 minutes to get to Sugar Land/Missouri City, etc....and that's your commute - WITHOUT TRAFFIC.

No way in hell would I live in South anywhere Houston and work in North anywhere Houston. There are plenty of nice areas north of Houston that should suit your fancy that would allow you a life outside of your time in your car.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:40 AM

4 posts, read 6,659 times
Thanks for the frank responses. I am moving from Southeastern VA. We live 10 mins from the Atlantic Ocean/Chesapeake Bay. We love saltwater fishing and crabbing. The main things we like about the Southern areas are proximity to Galveston and the prices seem a little less than in the North.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:47 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,914,224 times
Maybe consider Mont Belvieu or Dayton on the East side.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedmo002 View Post
Thanks for the frank responses. I am moving from Southeastern VA. We live 10 mins from the Atlantic Ocean/Chesapeake Bay. We love saltwater fishing and crabbing. The main things we like about the Southern areas are proximity to Galveston and the prices seem a little less than in the North.
Price depends on where you look. Good school districts = higher priced homes. Closer to downtown = really expensive homes.

Unless you live in Clearlake or League City, then getting to Galveston will be a chore no matter where you are (and even then, 45 south is always a chore). It's not as close as it looks on a map. From Sugar Land to the Sea Wall in Galveston is an hour without traffic. From where I live to the Sea wall is an hour, hour and 15 minutes.

There's The Woodlands (pricey), Kingwood/Atascocita area, Spring, etc that would be better for your work location. Also second looking at Mont Belvieu, or Dayton or Huffman/Crosby. Unless you plan on going fishing/crabbing several days a week, then living closer to work will be much more enjoyable for you. Then you can reserve the fun for the weekends.

What's your budget and criteria for a house?

Old 05-10-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
You will learn living here that nothing is 10 minutes from you unless it's a nail salon.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:00 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,851,661 times
Quote:
Instead of Sugar Land or Missouri City, I'd probably pick a community along Galveston Bay. If you're going to pick a long commute you might as well live on the water on the Southeast side rather than on the Southwest side. If I were you I'd go with Clear Lake.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:30 AM

237 posts, read 648,210 times
If you like water, find a home on lake houston in Kingwood/Atascocita area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston