Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 09:26 AM

104 posts, read 110,752 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to Spring or the Woodlands in late July from Illinois, and to save money we are renting some Pods. We are fine with unloading most of our boxes by ourselves, but need help with heavy items such as refrigerators, washer/dryer, treadmill, dressers.
Is there a service that we can pay by the hour to help us? Or will local movers do this?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 07:53 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Houston Craigslist

Look in the Houston Craigslist and search for 'movers', you will get many to choose from. There are many that say 'no job too small'. I'd call more than a few to get a feel for their rates; I would expect that they all have hourly rates, with a minimum. In your case, the minimum would probably apply since unloading is usually fast.

Alternatively, just visit a couple of your neighbors. You will find people are very friendly here, just introduce yourself as their new neighbor and ask them if they might be able to help with a few large items. Or, if you don't want to impose, just go to any home improvement store and you will see the day laborers on the fringes of the parking lot, tell them you need some large items moved, you will get all the help you need there. They may not speak English perfectly, but they do speak and understand it.

Welcome to Houston... good luck!

Old 05-11-2014, 08:26 AM

16 posts, read 25,467 times
From Illinois, where abouts? My wife and I just relocated to the same area Spring/TW a few weeks ago we grew up in Southern Illinois. I would be more than happy to help a fellow Illinoisan and give you a hand moving the larger items.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:38 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times
Moving Help® - Local Movers | Moving Labor Services | U-Haul partner I just used these people a month ago--both for loading my truck & unloading here in the Houston area.
There's at least a little more credibility/responsibility than picking someone randomly off of Craigslist. You pay by the hour--the various companies' rates vary. We paid around $200 for two men/two hours, then an additional $50 for one more hour. They were very prompt & professional, and supplied all the appropriate dollies, etc. they also assembled the beds & other furniture that required assembly. WELL worth the price.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Bound for Job View Post
From Illinois, where abouts? My wife and I just relocated to the same area Spring/TW a few weeks ago we grew up in Southern Illinois. I would be more than happy to help a fellow Illinoisan and give you a hand moving the larger items.

We're from Northern Illinois around Rockford. Thanks for the offer! It'd be nice to meet a fellow former Illinoisian!

Old 05-11-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Moving Help® - Local Movers | Moving Labor Services | U-Haul partner I just used these people a month ago--both for loading my truck & unloading here in the Houston area.
There's at least a little more credibility/responsibility than picking someone randomly off of Craigslist. You pay by the hour--the various companies' rates vary. We paid around $200 for two men/two hours, then an additional $50 for one more hour. They were very prompt & professional, and supplied all the appropriate dollies, etc. they also assembled the beds & other furniture that required assembly. WELL worth the price.
Great idea! I kind of like the idea of a licensed/insured company handling the job just in case..and I hate to impose on anyone to help..

Old 05-11-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Look in the Houston Craigslist and search for 'movers', you will get many to choose from. There are many that say 'no job too small'. I'd call more than a few to get a feel for their rates; I would expect that they all have hourly rates, with a minimum. In your case, the minimum would probably apply since unloading is usually fast.

Alternatively, just visit a couple of your neighbors. You will find people are very friendly here, just introduce yourself as their new neighbor and ask them if they might be able to help with a few large items. Or, if you don't want to impose, just go to any home improvement store and you will see the day laborers on the fringes of the parking lot, tell them you need some large items moved, you will get all the help you need there. They may not speak English perfectly, but they do speak and understand it.

Welcome to Houston... good luck!
I'll check Craigslist out. I like the idea of a moving company helping..not so sure about using day laborers although I hear it is really a popular option for odd jobs there.

Maybe once I meet my neighbors I'd be comfortable asking for help, but just moving in, I'm a bit shy..
Thanks for the advice!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston