Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 11:03 PM

46 posts, read 55,155 times

Advertisements

Howdy! As you guessed from my handle I'm an okie moving down to Houston in a few weeks. Houston is the TX city I ironically have the least experience with. My job will require a lot of travel to different offices I'll oversee and some telecommuting, so proximity to work isn't a huge concern. After this assignment (political campaign) ends I'm strong considering staying for a 1 or 2 so my highest priority is a neighborhood I'll enjoy.

A little about me: I love ethnic food, craft beer, and coffee shops. Im looking for a walkable locale with good transit access(or even one along the 2015 planned routes, if the bus service is sufficient for the interim) Also I'm 23, black and pretty liberal, so a neighborhood that I would feel comfortable is in great. I'm looking for something under $1100. I'd appreciate any help

P.S. I've done some preliminary research on WalkScore. I really like Midtown and Rice Village. It's just hard to get a feel from pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 07:37 AM

370 posts, read 612,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieInCincy View Post
Howdy! As you guessed from my handle I'm an okie moving down to Houston in a few weeks. Houston is the TX city I ironically have the least experience with. My job will require a lot of travel to different offices I'll oversee and some telecommuting, so proximity to work isn't a huge concern. After this assignment (political campaign) ends I'm strong considering staying for a 1 or 2 so my highest priority is a neighborhood I'll enjoy.

A little about me: I love ethnic food, craft beer, and coffee shops. Im looking for a walkable locale with good transit access(or even one along the 2015 planned routes, if the bus service is sufficient for the interim) Also I'm 23, black and pretty liberal, so a neighborhood that I would feel comfortable is in great. I'm looking for something under $1100. I'd appreciate any help

P.S. I've done some preliminary research on WalkScore. I really like Midtown and Rice Village. It's just hard to get a feel from pictures.
I would do a midtown move, look around on apartmentfinder and see if you can find something in the $1100 mark. sort of can't expect anything fancy in that price range. most start at $1300. check Zip code 77006. theres plenty of liberals here. good luck

Old 05-11-2014, 10:10 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
When I first read the thread, I thought it said walkable neighborhood for pros(titutes)! Hah!

I think midtown and montrose would fit you the best. The heights is great, but I don't think it's super walkable. You could live around the light rail in the loop. I don't think you can find anything in your price range in rice village. It's going to be tough to find a place in your budget in the areas that fit your description. If you up your budget to 1300$ a month it will be easier.

You will fit in all over Houston. It's a very diverse and accepting city.

Last edited by Meyerland; 05-11-2014 at 10:24 AM..

Old 05-11-2014, 10:17 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,017 times
Midtown or Montrose is what you want. I would not live by the Rice Village. I used to live over there. Now for the bad news. You need to up your budget by 300 a month. I just don't think what you are looking for exists in your price range.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:13 PM

Is the area north of Downtown worth looking at? It's off the Red Line and has tight blocks, but I didn't see much to walk to?

Old 05-11-2014, 02:57 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Like everyone else in here I would say museum district, Montrose or midtown are your best choices. There's also gentrification going on in parts of third ward near university of Houston. If you don't mind living next to, but not in, a rough area I've found lots of nice apartments for your price range. I used to live off Alameda Ave and Old Spanish Trail headed toward Reliant Stadium and it was a nice area. Not the fanciest but I was ok.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:02 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,050,580 times
1100 may not get you a newer apt but renting a duplex, garage apt or in an older smaller complex will be cheaper. That can be found in third ward or montrose even heights. They go fast though and still will be at around your budget or a bit more

Old 05-11-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
1100 may not get you a newer apt but renting a duplex, garage apt or in an older smaller complex will be cheaper. That can be found in third ward or montrose even heights. They go fast though and still will be at around your budget or a bit more
That's a good idea. I'm actually looking for a small efficiency, garage apt or the like. What's the best way to find those: Craigslist?

Old 05-11-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Like everyone else in here I would say museum district, Montrose or midtown are your best choices. There's also gentrification going on in parts of third ward near university of Houston. If you don't mind living next to, but not in, a rough area I've found lots of nice apartments for your price range. I used to live off Alameda Ave and Old Spanish Trail headed toward Reliant Stadium and it was a nice area. Not the fanciest but I was ok.
Where is that UH area in relation to Downtown? Also how's the bus service there and are they on the path of a planned rail or BRT line?

Old 05-11-2014, 10:18 PM

860 posts, read 1,585,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieInCincy View Post
That's a good idea. I'm actually looking for a small efficiency, garage apt or the like. What's the best way to find those: Craigslist?
The quality of Craigslist listings is different in each city. Based on the experience of friends, I wouldn't rely on the one in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: