Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 07:10 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,264,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
There is a lot of snobbery about Friendswood ISD. Pearland ISD is very good. Both are excellent choices.
I would not call an accurate opinion snobbery. People come on here to ask questions and get honest answers. Friendswood is not some super expensive snotty town to live in, hell houses in AnnaLea start at $110,000. The bottom line is that Friendswood has higher test scores across all measurable criteria. In addition to higher test scores it has higher average SAT and ACT scores as well. Friendswood is also not a school that teaches to the test...it teaches what needs to be taught and students need to learn to pass the standardized tests on their own.

Both schools will place similar numbers of students in top tier colleges, so a very driven student will do equally well in both places. Friendswood however is much smaller, and a mediocre student will receive more attention in Friendswood and have more opportunities.

I do not live in Friendswood, so I have nothing to gain from touting it...I grew up in Friendswood and until a few years ago lived and I currently work in Pearland. I have multiple friends/family with kids in Pearland schools, and all with the exception of one, intend to move to Friendswood solely for the schools because they are not satisfied with Pearland.

There is nothing wrong with Pearland, Friendswood just happens to be better. It should not be controversial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 07:51 AM

182 posts, read 350,287 times
If you want an affordable home in Friendswood, it's going to be OLD and small. Most are from the 1960s, 1970s. No doubt, it's not Pearland prices with better schools. Then everybody would be in Friendswood.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:02 AM

10 posts, read 21,700 times
Thank you everyone for your responses!

We are planning on renting a house, our budget is $1,500 a month, in base on that would you say Friendswood is more expensive than Pearland? Do you think that with that budget we will be able to find a decent house?

Old 05-15-2014, 09:25 AM

182 posts, read 350,287 times
Well if you are just renting and only care about the schools, might as well choose Friendswood. At that price range it's slim pickings though. Quick search brought up only 5 results.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:22 AM

56 posts, read 112,407 times
Default Alvin ISD

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
I would not call an accurate opinion snobbery. People come on here to ask questions and get honest answers. Friendswood is not some super expensive snotty town to live in, hell houses in AnnaLea start at $110,000. The bottom line is that Friendswood has higher test scores across all measurable criteria. In addition to higher test scores it has higher average SAT and ACT scores as well. Friendswood is also not a school that teaches to the test...it teaches what needs to be taught and students need to learn to pass the standardized tests on their own.

Both schools will place similar numbers of students in top tier colleges, so a very driven student will do equally well in both places. Friendswood however is much smaller, and a mediocre student will receive more attention in Friendswood and have more opportunities.

I do not live in Friendswood, so I have nothing to gain from touting it...I grew up in Friendswood and until a few years ago lived and I currently work in Pearland. I have multiple friends/family with kids in Pearland schools, and all with the exception of one, intend to move to Friendswood solely for the schools because they are not satisfied with Pearland.

There is nothing wrong with Pearland, Friendswood just happens to be better. It should not be controversial.

So I guess Alvin ISD would fall below both Pearland ISD and Friendswood ISD, correct?

I think just the size of schools alone makes a difference.

Question, where can find average SAT/ACT scores for different schools in the Houston area (Pearland, Alvin, Friendswood included)? I can't seem to find this info online.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:21 PM

126 posts, read 193,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouMomof2 View Post
So I guess Alvin ISD would fall below both Pearland ISD and Friendswood ISD, correct?

I think just the size of schools alone makes a difference.

Question, where can find average SAT/ACT scores for different schools in the Houston area (Pearland, Alvin, Friendswood included)? I can't seem to find this info online.
Go to their ISD website, they have each school report card.
http://myfisd.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/FHS.pdf

Old 05-15-2014, 07:33 PM

56 posts, read 112,407 times
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by locotl View Post
Go to their ISD website, they have each school report card.
http://myfisd.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/FHS.pdf
Thanks!

Old 05-16-2014, 05:01 PM

488 posts, read 1,382,925 times
and Pearland FTW, even if we do say so ourselves...

SCHOOL RATINGS – TOPS IN THE HOUSTON AREA! | pearlandisd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston