Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 10:36 PM

30 posts, read 48,327 times

Advertisements

Hello guys. I would appreciate your thoughts on this as I'm a first time buyer. I am currently building a home in a subdivision in South Katy. The lot is on a T-junction or T-intersection as it is also called. From my research, I hear homes on this types of lots are a bit unpopular due to fears about noise and car headlights at night from cars coming down the road facing the intersection. There's also the fear of drunk or reckless drivers ramming into the house if they lose control. For the home plan, the formal dining room, one of the guest bedrooms and the game room upstairs are the rooms at the front of the house. The living room, master bedroom and the two other rooms are situated at the back and middle of the house.

This lot however faces a cul de sac to the north, and another cul de sac is to the east of the lot. Only west of the lot is a street which leads to other parts of the subdivision.

I like the subdivision. It is quiet and compact, and coming along nicely. This is a small subdivision, and cars here do not speed fast like on a major road. I choose the lot because it doesn't have any back neighbours. There's is also a street lamp in front of the lot which i see as beneficial for security as the front of the house will always be well lit.

I didn't think the tjunction location would be much of an issue. Do Tjunction homesreally have poor resale value? Does any one here also live in a home on a tjunction? What are your experiences? Does any one have a street lamp in front of their home? What are your experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 02:33 AM

370 posts, read 612,854 times
If you like the layout of the home, the area, the price, and you feel that the intersection is not unduly unsafe, I say, don't worry about lights shining into the garage door or closed blinds, and just go for it. If it is a desirable area especially.

People who look for "good feng shui" specifically would be somewhat turned off by your home, they account for less than 5% of the market, so I don't think it would affect resale much. For me if a home is in the right location, good build quality, great layout. i'm a buyer

Old 05-20-2014, 07:31 AM

292 posts, read 547,904 times
The fact that the question of resale has popped up in your head already indicates that yes there will be an impact on resale. How much of an impact I don't think anyone can answer. Just think of it this way, if there is another home like yours on sale just a few houses down that is not in the intersection, an all things equal, which do you honest think would sell first? All the questions and concerns you brought up in your original post will also be brought up in the minds of potential buyers as well. In a very good seller's market, the impact may be negligible, but in a buyer's market, I think it is accurate to say that yes there will be an impact.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:08 AM

488 posts, read 1,383,402 times
I live on a corner plot on a t-junction, albeit in a small gated subdivision and it didn't put us off buying at all. It is a very quiet subdivision though.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:53 AM

26 posts, read 56,907 times
He had mentioned that the house was an intersection facing a cul de sac to the north, and with another cul de sac to the right of the house. So the house may not actually be at a busy intersection. If it is a small subdivision where cars are limited to a low speed, it may not be a huge issue. Dont some subdvision make use of speed bumps or stop signs? Does any one know of an instance where a car crashed into a home at an intersection.

Besides the OP mentioned that the house doesnt have back neighbors. That will be an advantage for resale. Also having a street lamp in front of the house may be beneficial.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:29 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,872,503 times
Does not sound bad to me. I prefer to have a house on a low traveled street and this sounds like it might be one, with two cul-de-sacs right by it. If you think about it, the only headlights "should" be the people leaving their houses on the street the house faces, any visitors, and the occasional lost person. Hopefully there are only a few homes on that street. And the only accidents we've had in our neighborhood, and there have been a couple, were when people appeared to keep driving straight when the street curved, and the house just got in their way!

Old 05-20-2014, 07:06 PM

26 posts, read 56,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
Does not sound bad to me. I prefer to have a house on a low traveled street and this sounds like it might be one, with two cul-de-sacs right by it. If you think about it, the only headlights "should" be the people leaving their houses on the street the house faces, any visitors, and the occasional lost person. Hopefully there are only a few homes on that street. And the only accidents we've had in our neighborhood, and there have been a couple, were when people appeared to keep driving straight when the street curved, and the house just got in their way!
Accident on a curved street? That must have been very ghastly. I'm surprised more subdivisions do not have speed bumps

Old 05-20-2014, 09:28 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,951,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan View Post

People who look for "good feng shui" specifically would be somewhat turned off by your home, they account for less than 5% of the market, so I don't think it would affect resale much.
While I am by no means an expert on feng shui, I am sometimes sensitive to the positioning of roads, doors, etc. My husband & I have often commented on how uncomfortable houses on such "T-intersection" lots appear.
I know we wouldn't live in a house positioned like that.

As long as you are comfortable with the home, that's what matters. I seriously doubt most people would feel as we do. We're just weird that way.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:35 PM

292 posts, read 547,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
While I am by no means an expert on feng shui, I am sometimes sensitive to the positioning of roads, doors, etc. My husband & I have often commented on how uncomfortable houses on such "T-intersection" lots appear.
I know we wouldn't live in a house positioned like that.

As long as you are comfortable with the home, that's what matters. I seriously doubt most people would feel as we do. We're just weird that way.
Actually, there a a lot of people who feel the same way you do, most of them believe in Feng Shui..

Old 05-20-2014, 11:08 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,138,933 times
Of course it depends on the house, the lot and some other factors, but every time I come to one of those intersections, and I look at the house in front of me as I stop and make my turn, I always think how I wouldn't want to live there. I wouldn't want to deal with the headlights, the accident hazard if someone ran the stop sign and ran into my yard/house (this goes for any house on a curve as well), etc.

For me the house would have to be damn near perfect in every other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: