Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 11:45 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,188,330 times

Advertisements

When I got home today, I was working on the house in Katy, and I stepped outside to get something from the garage, and I walked over an unusually large slithering snake. This one looked different to me, and it was on the concrete. It started to get into a defensive position, which I thought unusual, and started to raise it's head. It turns out it was a juvenile, about 2-3 feet length, Cottonmouth!

The only think I could think of was it was out of it's place due to all the rain we had a couple of weeks ago. I live next to empty fields, and close to the bayou, so I'm guessing that is where it was from. Unfortunately, I could not leave the snake to make a home in my backyard as I have four small children who are always back there, barefooted.

I wonder if this is some kind of omen after I posted about snakes this morning?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 05:27 AM

543 posts, read 1,380,388 times
We sent a picture to Texas Snakes and they confirmed that it is a Gulf Coast Ribbon snake. Harmless.
HookTheBrotherUp - That's scary. Are you planning to spray or do something to prevent?

Old 05-20-2014, 05:38 AM

Default No measures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNCold View Post
We sent a picture to Texas Snakes and they confirmed that it is a Gulf Coast Ribbon snake. Harmless.
HookTheBrotherUp - That's scary. Are you planning to spray or do something to prevent?
I've lived in the house for 13 years now, that was the first time I ever saw a venomous snake, so I'd probably not do anything. Also, they recently built a few blocks of homes across the street that used to be old rice fields. I'm selling the house, we don't actually live in it anymore, but the kids are there on the weekends with us.

This was not a usual occurrence obviously, and it was not bothering anyone. It was only in a defensive mode because I "stopped" it from where ever it was going... when I got close to it with a rake. Out of curiosity, I did check it's fangs, they were like needles, and did have venom, I'd hate to think what would have happened as I could have easily stepped on it since I was just exiting the side door to the house and walked over it instead. Or, if it bit one of my kids.

Here is a picture I took with my phone... not a good one, but I was not in a photo session mood.

What kind of snake is this?-snake.jpg

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 05-20-2014 at 06:22 AM..

Old 05-20-2014, 08:39 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,217,690 times
I've never heard of chemical measures to prevent snakes. I suppose there are products you can buy, but seriously... You really reduce your chances of getting bit if you never stick a bare hand into a pile of leaves or thick vegetation. Don't blindly reach under a pile of rotten wood to grab a loose ball. In one aspect snakes are like alligators. They will generally go the opposite direction from you if they sense you coming. Now if you corner one, or if you step on one, then yeah you are in trouble.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:00 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,501,847 times
Definitely garter snake. I used to catch those and keep them in a terrarium when I was a kid. They were thick on the ground in my neighborhood 30 years ago. Not so much anymore.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:05 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,501,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I've lived in the house for 13 years now, that was the first time I ever saw a venomous snake, so I'd probably not do anything. Also, they recently built a few blocks of homes across the street that used to be old rice fields. I'm selling the house, we don't actually live in it anymore, but the kids are there on the weekends with us.

This was not a usual occurrence obviously, and it was not bothering anyone. It was only in a defensive mode because I "stopped" it from where ever it was going... when I got close to it with a rake. Out of curiosity, I did check it's fangs, they were like needles, and did have venom, I'd hate to think what would have happened as I could have easily stepped on it since I was just exiting the side door to the house and walked over it instead. Or, if it bit one of my kids.

Here is a picture I took with my phone... not a good one, but I was not in a photo session mood.

Attachment 130155
I don't think that's a copperhead; the coloration and pattern isn't right. I'm pretty sure that's a hognose snake. Eating a mouse maybe?

Old 05-20-2014, 10:19 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,439,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
I don't think that's a copperhead; the coloration and pattern isn't right. I'm pretty sure that's a hognose snake. Eating a mouse maybe?
Yes, that is a hognose snake. Although they do have fangs, a bite will hurt a bit, but it won't send you to the hospital.

The construction probably drove out mice and such which is why he ended up on your doorstep.

Sorry to say, HTBU, you killed a good snake.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:59 AM

Default Not killed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Yes, that is a hognose snake. Although they do have fangs, a bite will hurt a bit, but it won't send you to the hospital.

The construction probably drove out mice and such which is why he ended up on your doorstep.

Sorry to say, HTBU, you killed a good snake.
I did not kill it, just moved it. I was able to grab it and let it bite a stick, which is why I did see the fangs. 'Good thing I did not have to find out if it was venomous nonetheless.

BTW, I see they are not common... someone's pet maybe?

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 05-20-2014 at 11:12 AM..

Old 05-20-2014, 02:43 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,439,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I did not kill it, just moved it. I was able to grab it and let it bite a stick, which is why I did see the fangs. 'Good thing I did not have to find out if it was venomous nonetheless.

BTW, I see they are not common... someone's pet maybe?
Great to hear that he's alive and slithering.

Could have been a pet. As a matter of fact, you probably could have sold him if you wanted and made enough for a nice dinner. (Cash that is for steak dinner not meat for snake dinner)

Old 08-11-2014, 10:45 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,174,032 times
Snake bump...

Saw a snake in the corner of my pump house in Brenham. He had halfway slithered into a gap in the 2x4 framing before I could snap this. Any clues as to his identity?
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of snake is this?-snake-pump.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston