Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 08:48 PM

9 posts, read 27,097 times

Advertisements

Where on the west side would be good then? My mom and brother are moving from a town of 50,000. If possible they would want a smaller town feel like spring or atoscoctia. I've lived in spring for two years. I have no idea where to tell him to look. Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 08:51 PM

I was thinking like fall creek or summer wood. Would that be an OK drive for him?

Old 05-18-2014, 08:53 PM

My mom and brother are scared to move to such a big city and want to be close. Is it a 45 min drive from spring?

Old 05-18-2014, 08:53 PM

960 posts, read 2,749,312 times
I just posted a map a few days ago where you can find houses for $200K or less at Trulia says Houston home affordability falls dramatically. He might want to live in between I-10 and 290 if this is going to be his daily commute.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:00 PM

Are there safer places people would recommend in the east or west? Small town feel places?

Thanks bike4life for the map link!!!

Old 05-19-2014, 06:09 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,991,725 times
Deer park maybe for small town feel. It's near a lot of chemical plants but there are good areas about 5 miles away that are good. Lots of people like it and others are deterred by proximity to plants so that's a personal decision on your part. Large Hispanic population, which describes a lot of the Houston area now.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:13 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Deer park maybe for small town feel. It's near a lot of chemical plants but there are good areas about 5 miles away that are good. Lots of people like it and others are deterred by proximity to plants so that's a personal decision on your part. Large Hispanic population, which describes a lot of the Houston area now.
But the dad works at I-10 and Voss. I would never suggest Deer Park with that work location. I like atascocita because I live here. I'm not too familiar with some of the other west side towns. Is your brother is school? What about Jersey Village?

Old 05-19-2014, 06:50 AM

705 posts, read 1,259,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsahelaer View Post
So my father is moving from Farminton Nm to houston. I'm moving to humble near lake houston. My father works at voss and i10. He wants to like 45 min away, be in Harris county, and 1/2 hour to 45 min away from atocisticia (sorry for the spelling). He wants to spend max 180,000. He thinking there might be on the east side maybe even outside of beltway 8. Any suggestions? He wants 3 bedroom 2 bath with a decent yard.

City of Katy has a small town feel, especially the north side of Katy (north of I10). Lots of mom and pop shops, has the railroad going thru it, and you can find something for $180k. The commute to Voss and I10 won't be bad, and not sure if your brothers are still in school, but KISD has an awesome special education program. Once the grand parkway goes all the way up to 45 from Katy, it'll be a breeze for them to visit you in Humble.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:34 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,731,452 times
I-10 and Voss is Spring Valley area it wouldn't make sense to live on the east (opposite) side of Houston. Halfway between there and Atascocita would be on the northside like Oak Forest or Cypress.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:39 AM

960 posts, read 2,749,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsahelaer View Post
Are there safer places people would recommend in the east or west? Small town feel places?

Thanks bike4life for the map link!!!
I'm not sure where would feel like a small town close to you and his work. And "small town" is subjective such as when I'm in Willowbend, West University, or Bellaire, I feel like I'm in a small town with the same people I frequently see in my area and I rarely need to drive more than 7 miles from my home.

"Rurban" may have a small town feel like Acre Homes, Houston Gardens, etc. which is historically a Black segregated community (credit to Vicman, do you think houston is just too big to ever have a city like vibe?).

Perhaps they may want to look at the southern part of Cypress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston