Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 07:10 AM

340 posts, read 802,905 times

Advertisements

What are the weeds that look dark green but shoot straight up out of one cluster which has 2-4 blades in it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 07:11 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,020,839 times
Nutsedge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trele6 View Post
What are the weeds that look dark green but shoot straight up out of one cluster which has 2-4 blades in it?

Old 09-05-2014, 07:16 AM

340 posts, read 802,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
Nutsedge.
Man those things are a pain also. I don't have issues with crab grass, but I have a side of my lawn that is covered in these and just cant get rid of them.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:23 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
I am clearing a frikin garden of nutsedge little by little each day. There is an underground root system that makes it impossible to kill by just pulling it up. Afterward I'm laying down newspaper and then mulch. That will prevent it from coming back for about a year, then must repeat.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:24 AM

382 posts, read 628,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
Are you sure it's crabgrass and not nutsedge? Nutsedge is even worse because it can grow several inches tall in the span of a week making it look like you never mow.
That is exactly how it seems. The lawn is rather short and thick, so these guys really stand out.

Your photo looks like what I am talking about (both the weed and the lawn).

It started with only a few in a few sprigs here and there, and now it has some concentrated areas, and inch or two between each sprig it seems (but going from eyeball memory, might be a bit tighter than that).

The main lawn around it still seems quite healthy, but I'm sure it would eventually crowd it out.

Update: Read the article that holds the photo in the link you provided...it sounds exactly like the weed I see.
http://www.showcasegroup.biz/blog/nutsedge/

Old 09-05-2014, 07:44 AM

538 posts, read 1,362,163 times
I have a really strange grass taking over my backyard. It's super soft, with very thin blades, and it sends runners and pops up in my flower beds. When my backyard gets stressed due to the heat, it's the first to turn brown, but it comes back.

This is something that I've never seen before, and wasn't there until this year. We now have 10x10 patches of it. It's driving me crazy. My husband thinks the seed was brought in by the guy who mows our yard.

Last edited by HoustonBornNRaised; 09-05-2014 at 07:53 AM..

Old 09-05-2014, 11:32 AM

382 posts, read 628,993 times
Okay, did some research on products to use. Best summary I found was here: TurfMagazine.com - Proven Yellow Nutsedge Control Strategies

Pulling them now will be ineffective, as I read, since they can regenerate underground. Would work if only one or two, but too many now to do this. So, next option is herbicide.

From my reading on several other sites, the current most effective post-emergent (after they appear) treatment is with sulfentrazone (Dismiss, Dismiss South, or Image are examples) or with halosulfuron (Sedgehammer is an example).

Also, fyi for anyone reading this later...For pre-emergent treatment, I only found two sulfentrazone - based products (Echelon, and Dismiss - I presume Dismiss South too, but didn't research that out).

I read one university study that seems to indicate that halosulfuron is slightly faster acting, but both have similar efficacy after two months, and that both may require two applications.

I pulled the trigger on Sledgehammer...will let folks know the experience.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:17 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,020,839 times
Transplanted - I use the Imagine spray that you hook up to a hose and it seems to work pretty well. It WILL turn your turfgrass a little yellow after the first application but it will come right back. This is the only way to kill this damn stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: