U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which?
Pearland 11 11.70%
Sugar Land 46 48.94%
Katy 18 19.15%
Baytown 19 20.21%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2014, 11:01 PM

143 posts, read 121,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I don't think any of those would be a clear #1. It all comes down to personal taste and lifestyle preferences and what someone is looking for in their off time. All are very nice, just depends on your needs. Personally, I don't care for the woodlands at all. Yes it is super nice but for whatever reason it just holds no appeal for me. I prefer living more coastal. I really like evia in Galveston but that's too far from Houston and more hurricane central than I care to be should one hit. Lots of great areas around Houston. It's About needs.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ same sentiments about Woodlands.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 08:31 AM

8,260 posts, read 8,096,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Salizar View Post
Fair enough. Maybe I'm wrong. My only familiarity with Houston suburbs comes from the school stats on har.com. Those stats may be misleading and there is probably more to it.

Honestly, there is way too much information out there. In many ways, it just makes the process of finding the right neighborhood even harder than it otherwise would be. In the end, I'm happy we found a nice house in a nice neighborhood.
So bascially you don't know what you're talking about.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:00 PM

28 posts, read 43,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
So bascially you don't know what you're talking about.
Precisely. However, here is some of what I was referring to

An elementary school in First Colony
Colony Meadows Elementary School - rating and statistics - SUGAR LAND 77479 HAR.com

An elementary school in Telfair
Cornerstone Elementary School - rating and statistics - SUGAR LAND 77479 HAR.com

Low percentages of Hispanics and Blacks. I'm sure there are numerous "explanations" for this. It can be a pro or a con depending on what your perspective is. For me, that was a con and I stand by what I wrote. Do you not have anything better to do but to argue with me about this?

The point of this particular thread was to rank the above suburbs. It's a tough decision and really comes down to multiple variables that will ultimately give each suburb a different rank for each individual. For a group of people with all things equal (no commute, no price range, sending kids to private school anyway), I'm sure there will still be differing opinions.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:30 PM

2,807 posts, read 3,738,495 times
This is definitely an odd match up.

Baytown wouldn't make the list for the bottom 3, definitely not the top 3. Baytown may not be a very attractive suburb but one unique asset it has is the Fred Hartman Bridge. A fairly pretty suspension bridge which is worth seeing.

Sugarland is probably the most mature, attractive suburb out of the aforementioned list. But even it has its drawbacks. It's very boring looking for the most part as all the shopping centers and places of business all look the same. Pearland is definitely a hotbed, but like Katy, its not quite as established as Sugarland

Old 05-29-2014, 08:39 PM

6,523 posts, read 11,055,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
This is definitely an odd match up.

Baytown wouldn't make the list for the bottom 3, definitely not the top 3. Baytown may not be a very attractive suburb but one unique asset it has is the Fred Hartman Bridge. A fairly pretty suspension bridge which is worth seeing.

Sugarland is probably the most mature, attractive suburb out of the aforementioned list. But even it has its drawbacks. It's very boring looking for the most part as all the shopping centers and places of business all look the same. Pearland is definitely a hotbed, but like Katy, its not quite as established as Sugarland
That's why I like the Bay Area suburbs the best because they are unique and have unique places of business. Nothing boring about the scenery.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:43 PM

251 posts, read 192,276 times
Baytown is not a Houston suburb, in any sense of the word. It's an industrial blue collar city populated mostly by the labor force of Chevron, Exxon and the other large industrial plants. Baytown has its own suburb, Mont Belvieu.

It has absolutely nothing in common with Sugar Land or Katy.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:23 AM

20,396 posts, read 8,966,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
That's why I like the Bay Area suburbs the best because they are unique and have unique places of business. Nothing boring about the scenery.
What I like about the bay area (I don't live there though) is that you have "unique" access. You can pretty much build a mall, restaurant, night club, cigar shop, school, etc. anywhere. You can't put a bay or canal connecting to the Gulf Of Mexico anywhere.

Give me the choice between fast access to being out on a sailboat at sunset or the museum district, and you'll find me with cheese, cracker and wine with the salt breeze and sound of waves hitting the hull any day of the week.

Of course, that is a personal choice, and it's not right for everyone.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:25 AM

8,032 posts, read 6,359,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Why does it say 15 votes for Baytown but I only see 4 names?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I can't see it now, but that is really strange. Someone changed it from public poll to not?
I find it hard to believe that many people would vote for Baytown, which is an industrial city that is basically separated by water from Houston. Something's not right.
Did anyone ever answer this?

Old 06-05-2014, 06:51 PM

5 posts, read 8,473 times
Baytown has other suburbs too.

Highlands,Beach City, Barrett, and Crosby.

On the Yellow Pages its called Greater Baytown.

Baytowns suburbs go from Winnie to Dayton.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:14 PM

1,192 posts, read 915,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
The real question is - Houston: Worst Suburb and an objective analysis on why you think X is the worst.
^^Make this it's own thread; I would love the flame wars about how my strip center or box house is bigger/better than yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston