Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 02:58 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,214,982 times

Advertisements

but the reverse flight is much different as the people making the reverse trips aren't actively participating in the communities they live in...it's strictly for gas

Old 05-23-2014, 03:03 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Jerbear, Forest is on the House system. The kids are split up into groups of 250 or so. The bright kids never see the rest of the school except for gym or band.

My next door neighbor took her kid out of Forest last year. The kid was sent on an errand by the teacher. When she returned, her i pad was missing from her backpack. She was told it was her fault for not taking the backpack, too.

Another friend's kid saw a gun fall out from a guys pants while she was at her locker a few years ago. She reported it to the principal. They kept her in the office half a day trying to convince her that she only thought it was a gun.

No Child Left behind stated that a student in a persistently dangerous school or one that misses their AYP 2 years in a row can change schools. Schools that have a high number of kids on reduced and free lunch qualify. Last I checked Forest was above 65%. You could change schools if there were several felony convictions or 2 years missing the AYP. Dr. Cain chose not to have Forest apply for the designation even though the school would get all kinds of money to help with teacher training, tutoring, etc.

Can't miss that AYP and have 'those' kids at Klein High School. The 38-40 Klein private police force plus jail cells for 4 renders knowing about a felony impossible.

The school board meeting was entertaining the night that Klein Intermediate missed the AYP. Strack and Kleb parents showed up to appeal to the trustees, oh don't put all of those kids in our school. Please split them up. The board complied.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:15 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Our throwaway, build-for-now mentality only helps encourage it.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:49 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
Except there is no white flight right now. We are actually having reverse white flight. It has been this way for many years.

Yep, more whites are leaving the suburbs for the cities. And not just in Houston, but all over the country. That's why I keep saying that some of the suburbs are going to be the future ghettos.

Demography: Broke in the

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/20/ny...poor.html?_r=0

Pushing poor people to the suburbs is bad for the environment | Grist

Poverty in the suburbs: Hidden and growing - CBS News

Old 05-23-2014, 05:38 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Yep, more whites are leaving the suburbs for the cities. And not just in Houston, but all over the country. That's why I keep saying that some of the suburbs are going to be the future ghettos.

We are definitely playing catchup to the European and South American model where the richer folks live closer to the center, the parks, museums, entertainment, best restaurants. The poorer folks live on the outer edges except for some exclusive enclaves. Mexico has a lot of this as well. You see the poorer folks living on the hillsides with the best views while the folks who can afford it live in the city and the lower-income folks commute in on the trains to work.

Los Angeles is doing this. We have some outer areas like Palmdale and San Bernardino that filled in newer subdivisions with poor urban folks from areas like Compton and South Central (That's why they call it "Palmpton" during the last housing bust. There was an article in the LA times last month about the "Gangs" from echo park now being commuter gangs because they got priced out of Echo Park. So they drive in for their gang activities.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:54 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
It's time to videotape classrooms to find "proof that it's not the teacher's fault". Teachers must start videotaping now. Any lawsuits against videotaping classrooms must be thrown out and the plaintiffs punished.

That way we know to blame the students. If students do this "I am going to stick you." BS, fine them for tens of thousands of dollars for wasting our education money. Have REPO men take their luxury goods if they can't pay. This is how you should raise test scores.

Abolish school uniforms in public school as they are a poor masking of problems and instead are un-American and a sign of "ghetto".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Klein Forest High School teacher files federal lawsuit against school district over student discipline | abc13.com

Reading this is really scary. I can't imagine the kids in there.

"I am going to stick you." Wow. I thought he was teaching in Huntsville prison.

The teacher fear for his life teaching there.

This is Klein Forest HS by 1960 and Champions area.

I believe 60% of the school are hispanics.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:11 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
It's time to videotape classrooms to find "proof that it's not the teacher's fault". Teachers must start videotaping now. Any lawsuits against videotaping classrooms must be thrown out and the plaintiffs punished
Another plus for cameras is that they might cut down on teachers having "relationships" with students.

Now, that's something I can't wrap my brain around.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:24 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
There are lot of neighborhoods that are not pricy that the people move to so i disagree with your statement unless you mean something else.

Look at further up on 290 on cypress and tomball. Most of those houses are not expensive, but are mostly white. It is not higher income that they move, it is the school and what they don't want their kids associated with.

Also regarding the previous statement about Klein Forest HS not a rough area. It is not at all. I know alot of friends still live around there. It is just like the poster said the way the school zone is aligned where a lot of "free" and "discounted lunch" students goes there.

There is no parenting involved with alot of those kids and the problem is bought into the school. I do wish the school would found a way to permanently remove the problem kids and give the rest of the students a chance.
Yep SHIP the "PROBLEM" kids off to another country huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Our throwaway, build-for-now mentality only helps encourage it.
Exactly

Old 05-24-2014, 03:55 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Another plus for cameras is that they might cut down on teachers having "relationships" with students.

Now, that's something I can't wrap my brain around.
Maybe some people like the idea of the power difference and/or having control over other people. Another possibility: if it's high school they are simply around students frequently and happen to fall in love with one and lack self-control.

Firstly because of the said power difference such a relationship is unethical according to teacher's associations. Teachers are not supposed to be too close to their students.

In addition, Texas law states that it is illegal for a teacher to sleep with a K-12 school student of any age if the student is in the same school (or if it's public school, the same school district). The normal age of consent in Texas is 17.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:03 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post

Demography: Broke in the

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/20/ny...poor.html?_r=0

Pushing poor people to the suburbs is bad for the environment | Grist

When the whites in the Loop start sending their kids to the zoned school they're designated too instead of trying to get a house to a certain school where more Loop white kids are or jumping from hoops to get them into a magnet get back to me on reverse white flight.

It isn't valid to me until they stop doing the "Oh I'm back in the Loop all urban but *hush*my kids go to X elem where it's majority white or a magnet*hush*

When the schools get better it's valid. Sure they're moving in but they aren't really because they're still doing everything to self-segregate as much as possible

The Tomball/290 areas with not so pricy houses that are majority white are like Arkansas. I wouldn't say trailer park like but yeah it's majority lower SES whites and that's why. Minorities tend to not live near by because history and all. Hispanics live any and everywhere. Blacks, Middle Eastern and Asians, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston