Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 06:23 AM

241 posts, read 316,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Seriously???

Then the million dollar questions is would you let your kid go to school there?
Yes, what is wrong with you. Every post you make has racist undertones.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:24 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,947 times
A lot of the whites moving back in don't have kids.

For those that do, sometimes the elementary schools in the Loop will get increasing enrollment but the White parents may opt for magnets in middle school. I knew a white girl in my high school who went to Lantrip Elementary in the East End, but then she went to Pershing for middle school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
When the whites in the Loop start sending their kids to the zoned school they're designated too instead of trying to get a house to a certain school where more Loop white kids are or jumping from hoops to get them into a magnet get back to me on reverse white flight.

It isn't valid to me until they stop doing the "Oh I'm back in the Loop all urban but *hush*my kids go to X elem where it's majority white or a magnet*hush*

When the schools get better it's valid. Sure they're moving in but they aren't really because they're still doing everything to self-segregate as much as possible

The Tomball/290 areas with not so pricy houses that are majority white are like Arkansas. I wouldn't say trailer park like but yeah it's majority lower SES whites and that's why. Minorities tend to not live near by because history and all. Hispanics live any and everywhere. Blacks, Middle Eastern and Asians, not so much.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:03 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,983,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS14 View Post
Yes, what is wrong with you. Every post you make has racist undertones.
What is even more wrong is to not acknowledge it and think there is no such issue.

I ask an honest question. He compare this news story to columbine and think is an isolated incident, which obviously is not even close. I know i would never have my kid there and i am not going to dance around it either. 9 out of 10 people post here would not either.

Regarding the racial undertones, some of you think saying Hi to one black guy at work and know the asian guy down the block means you are not racial and live in harmony.

Of course the minute you see a group of black kids you run the other way...or worse start looking on HAR.COM.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:04 AM

498 posts, read 837,363 times
Quote:
When the whites in the Loop start sending their kids to the zoned school they're designated too instead of trying to get a house to a certain school where more Loop white kids are or jumping from hoops to get them into a magnet get back to me on reverse white flight.
All my inner-loop friends who would qualify for "reverse white flight" status send their kids to private school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS14 View Post
Every post you make has racist undertones.
There we go again throwing the "r" word around aimlessly.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:42 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmj View Post
All my inner-loop friends who would qualify for "reverse white flight" status send their kids to private school.
Out of curiosity, which neighborhoods do they live in? Which private schools do they use?

Old 05-24-2014, 10:14 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,983,072 times
Quote:
The Tomball/290 areas with not so pricy houses that are majority white are like Arkansas. I wouldn't say trailer park like but yeah it's majority lower SES whites and that's why. Minorities tend to not live near by because history and all. Hispanics live any and everywhere. Blacks, Middle Eastern and Asians, not so much.
What you describing is basically majority of the neighborhoods further out of the core. Take TW, Katy, and Sugarland out of the equation and who do you think live in all those neighborhoods? Middle to lower class white folks who run at the sight of the first non-white family moving in their block.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:17 AM

675 posts, read 1,452,891 times
**Stop feeding the troll**

Old 05-24-2014, 10:56 AM

243 posts, read 487,292 times
Default There Are No "White" Public Schools

"White flight" is just socioeconomic flight and it's mostly based on schools. Go to Schooldigger, and find me one public school where the white population has increased (as a percentage) in the last 10 years in all of the Houston area. This includes the Woodlands, Katy, etc.. You will be lucky to find one because ALL schools are much more diverse now--especially in the suburbs. The numbers will tell you that the white population is either declining region-wide or that all the white people are sending their kids to private school or homeschooling. Or, maybe white people just aren't having many kids anymore.

However, it's inaccurate to say that whites have some utopian schools that segregate them from all other minorities. It's just not true in Houston anymore.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:14 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
Capitalism is the reason why white flight is so prevalent.
No offense, but that strikes me as an oversimplification, at best.

Here's one reason I think the causes are more complex: I once spent 5 weeks or so in the Soviet Union and was surprised to see a lot more racial/ethnic diversity than I expected, especially in Moscow. Russians I knew told me that there was a lot of prejudice against African students who came to study there, even though they benefitted from scholarships. In particular, they mentioned a "riot" by some of those students who wanted to protest their treatment.

I also observed a lot of prejudice against other people. So ... I'm doubtful that "white flight" would only be observed in countries with capitalist economic systems.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:22 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,465 times
Another thought. When I visited the USSR, all housing was owned by the government. Even houses that existed prior to the formation of the USSR, since they were all confiscated by the government.

Since that government controlled all the housing, they could tell people where they could live. In such a system, it could force difference groups to live together or apart, depending on the whims of the people who controlled the levers of power.

I agree that our socio-economic system needs improvement, but would we really want to live under one like the old USSR?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston