Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 08:26 AM

211 posts, read 289,590 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

We moved into our new house this weekend and we don't have any cell phone reception inside the house, whatsoever. We noticed this earlier during the building phase but didn't realize it would be this bad. When I step outside about 5-10 feet away, I can get a couple of bars and make phone calls but cannot get data service on my phones.

We have T-Mobile, however our builder has Verizon and he also gets no reception when he is inside the house. We can try getting a signal booster from T-mobile, but it only works if we had some reception somewhere in the house, and I've walked around last night with my phone and waited in various places but found no connection.

I've been told that the radiant barrier on new homes can cause this but not sure if this is why.

Can anyone provide some advice or are we SOL??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 08:34 AM

967 posts, read 2,609,081 times
My house has radiant barrier and we get no cell service with TMobile. I found that tmobile has the weakest service of the big names in Houston area at least.

I have Att and get decent signal in the house but sometimes have to walk outside if people can't hear me.

My husband has Verizon and has no problems at all.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:37 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,982,728 times
I do notice Tmobile signal is quite weak in Riverstone when i go to my friend's house. Try to get the signal booster from tmobile first (is free right if you complain?) and then you might have to switch to ATT or Verizon.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:42 AM

15 posts, read 44,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelFeedsTheSoul View Post
Hello all,

We moved into our new house this weekend and we don't have any cell phone reception inside the house, whatsoever. We noticed this earlier during the building phase but didn't realize it would be this bad. When I step outside about 5-10 feet away, I can get a couple of bars and make phone calls but cannot get data service on my phones.

We have T-Mobile, however our builder has Verizon and he also gets no reception when he is inside the house. We can try getting a signal booster from T-mobile, but it only works if we had some reception somewhere in the house, and I've walked around last night with my phone and waited in various places but found no connection.

I've been told that the radiant barrier on new homes can cause this but not sure if this is why.

Can anyone provide some advice or are we SOL??

This also happen to my house and I also have T-Mobile. My phone is capable of WiFi calling, it uses the WiFi signal instead of the phone reception. It works for me without any issue.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:57 AM

152 posts, read 457,894 times
My parents had the same problem, but with Sprint. Now they have Verizon and have no signal issues whatsoever.

I guess what the radiant barrier saves you in heating & cooling costs gets offset by having to pay more for better cell reception.

ETA: Ooops, just now saw that your builder has Verizon and has no signal in your home either, I misread it the first time. Don't know what to tell you as I have yet to have a signal problem with my Verizon service.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:08 AM

Thanks guys. I'll have someone with AT&T come over and see if they get reception. If so, bye-bye T-Mobile.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:13 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,661,551 times
I live in Riverstone, and we have AT&T. We could get absolutely no cell phone reception in our house either. Sorry. We had to get an AT&T micro cell. Now it is perfectly fine. But it was miserable for a while there. AT&T also blamed it on our roof. Figures.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:18 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,805,583 times
Never had any issues with Verizon.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:23 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,768,770 times
We are in Riverstone and AT&T was horrible for my wife. Like the othes they said it was the radiant barrier. I had Verizon from work and it worked great. My wife switched to Verizon and now she is able to use her phone.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:32 AM

haha, I guess I'll have to try Verizon myself even though my builder seemed to have issues. thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston