U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 02:01 PM

4 posts, read 11,300 times

Advertisements

I see many threads that talk about the schools in Houston, I just wanted to know how about the teachers salaries? Right now I teach in Florida and salaries are not up to par. I've been on Klein and Katy school board sites and from what I've seen Klein has a high salary. If anyone knows about any other school disticts that are great let me know. Not only just the salary,but also the schools ratings. I'll probably be making a trip to Houston in Jan. to look at homes and schools. Oh if anyone has any info on health benefits for school teachers please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 02:07 PM

7,725 posts, read 18,224,071 times
I understand salaries are roughly $40,000 for 9 months for a new grad. Add about a $500-1,000 raise for each year afterwards. I also understand health/dental/other insurance are quite expensive. My teacher friend tells me his insurance for a family is up around $700/mo. Really depends on district. Those are just ballpark figures.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:20 PM

4 posts, read 11,300 times
thanks for the info

Old 12-13-2007, 04:37 PM

1,442 posts, read 3,490,282 times
It all depends on what school district you are wanting to teach at.

6 High Paying Cities for K-12 Teachers

1. Los Angeles
Starting Salary with Bachelor’s Degree: $49,497

Starting Salary with Mater’s Degree $55,124

About Los Angels Unified School District:
A major priority in the District is to have a fully certified /licensed teacher in every classroom. The District seeks qualified candidates who are innovative, enthusiastic, and are looking for the opportunity to make a difference. Mathematics, Science and special education are a priority for the District. The District is accepting applications for all subjects.

2. New York City
Starting Salary with Bachelor’s Degree: $43,436

Starting Salary with Master’s Degree: $48,747

About New York City Public Schools:
Almost 135,000 people work full-time in New York City’s public school system — gifted teachers, principals, administrators, counselors, secretaries, paraprofessionals, custodians, and many, many more. Our shared mission is to provide the 1.1 million students we serve with the kind of education that will give them the tools to thrive in college and careers, and to contribute to their communities.

3. Atlanta
Starting Salary with Bachelor’s Degree: $43,231

Starting Salary with Master’s Degree: $47, 554

About Atlanta Public Schools
99 schools and other educational facilities are serving an estimated 50,000-student population. APS is organized into geographic clusters called School Reform Teams (SRTs), under the supervision of Executive Directors of Schools. 89 schools are classified at Title I schools and 86% of students are African American. 74% of students qualify for free and reduced meals. The ratio of teacher to student is no great than 1:23 at any level.The system’s 3,921 teachers make up 51 percent of APS staff personnel. Forty-five (45) percent of all APS teachers have advanced degrees. APS teachers have, on average, 15 years of classroom experience.

4. Chicago
Starting Salary with Bachelor’s Degree: $43, 233

Starting Salary with Master’s Degree: $46,228

About Chicago Public Schools:
623 Chicago schools employ 24,644 teachers that service 420, 982 students, 48.6% are African- American and 37.6% are Latino. 85.6% of students come from low-income families. The ratio of teacher to student is no great than 1:20. The Chicago Public Schools strives to be the premier urban school district in the country by providing all students and their families with high quality instruction, outstanding academic programs, and comprehensive student development supports to prepare them for the challenges of the world of tomorrow.

5. Houston
Starting Salaries with Bachelor’s Degree: $42,745

Starting Salaries with Master’s Degree: $43,745

About Houston Independent School District:
The Houston Independent School District is the largest public school system in Texas and the seventh-largest in the United States. Most HISD (Houston Independent School District) schools are assigned to one of five regions (North, East, South, West, and Central) with offices located in communities to give students and parents personalized service and immediate assistance. HISD educates 202,000 students of diverse population: 58% Hispanic, 30% African-American, 9% white, 3% Asian/Pacific. 78% of Houston’s students qualify for free and reduced meals. 55,000 students are limited English proficient, who combine speak more than 90 different native languages. 12,721 teachers service HISD.

6. Philadelphia
Starting Salary with Bachelor’s Degree: $39.914

Starting Salary with Master’s Degree: $41,088

About Philadelphia Public Schools:
The School District of Philadelphia is one of the largest in the nation by enrollment, serving a racially and ethnically diverse student population. The district currently has a need for bilingual teachers who speak fluent English, and Spanish, Vietnamese or Chinese. The School District of Philadelphia has approximately 184,560 students in 291 public schools. The District is divided into twelve regions each under the supervision of a Regional Superintendent. The diverse student population represents 64.4% African-America and 15.8% Hispanic as it’s largest ethnicities.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:51 PM

54 posts, read 120,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
It all depends on what school district you are wanting to teach at.

6 High Paying Cities for K-12 Teachers

1. Los Angeles
Starting Salary with Bachelorís Degree: $49,497

Starting Salary with Materís Degree $55,124

About Los Angels Unified School District:
A major priority in the District is to have a fully certified /licensed teacher in every classroom. The District seeks qualified candidates who are innovative, enthusiastic, and are looking for the opportunity to make a difference. Mathematics, Science and special education are a priority for the District. The District is accepting applications for all subjects.

2. New York City
Starting Salary with Bachelorís Degree: $43,436

Starting Salary with Masterís Degree: $48,747

About New York City Public Schools:
Almost 135,000 people work full-time in New York Cityís public school system ó gifted teachers, principals, administrators, counselors, secretaries, paraprofessionals, custodians, and many, many more. Our shared mission is to provide the 1.1 million students we serve with the kind of education that will give them the tools to thrive in college and careers, and to contribute to their communities.

3. Atlanta
Starting Salary with Bachelorís Degree: $43,231

Starting Salary with Masterís Degree: $47, 554

About Atlanta Public Schools
99 schools and other educational facilities are serving an estimated 50,000-student population. APS is organized into geographic clusters called School Reform Teams (SRTs), under the supervision of Executive Directors of Schools. 89 schools are classified at Title I schools and 86% of students are African American. 74% of students qualify for free and reduced meals. The ratio of teacher to student is no great than 1:23 at any level.The systemís 3,921 teachers make up 51 percent of APS staff personnel. Forty-five (45) percent of all APS teachers have advanced degrees. APS teachers have, on average, 15 years of classroom experience.

4. Chicago
Starting Salary with Bachelorís Degree: $43, 233

Starting Salary with Masterís Degree: $46,228

About Chicago Public Schools:
623 Chicago schools employ 24,644 teachers that service 420, 982 students, 48.6% are African- American and 37.6% are Latino. 85.6% of students come from low-income families. The ratio of teacher to student is no great than 1:20. The Chicago Public Schools strives to be the premier urban school district in the country by providing all students and their families with high quality instruction, outstanding academic programs, and comprehensive student development supports to prepare them for the challenges of the world of tomorrow.

5. Houston
Starting Salaries with Bachelorís Degree: $42,745

Starting Salaries with Masterís Degree: $43,745

About Houston Independent School District:
The Houston Independent School District is the largest public school system in Texas and the seventh-largest in the United States. Most HISD (Houston Independent School District) schools are assigned to one of five regions (North, East, South, West, and Central) with offices located in communities to give students and parents personalized service and immediate assistance. HISD educates 202,000 students of diverse population: 58% Hispanic, 30% African-American, 9% white, 3% Asian/Pacific. 78% of Houstonís students qualify for free and reduced meals. 55,000 students are limited English proficient, who combine speak more than 90 different native languages. 12,721 teachers service HISD.

6. Philadelphia
Starting Salary with Bachelorís Degree: $39.914

Starting Salary with Masterís Degree: $41,088

About Philadelphia Public Schools:
The School District of Philadelphia is one of the largest in the nation by enrollment, serving a racially and ethnically diverse student population. The district currently has a need for bilingual teachers who speak fluent English, and Spanish, Vietnamese or Chinese. The School District of Philadelphia has approximately 184,560 students in 291 public schools. The District is divided into twelve regions each under the supervision of a Regional Superintendent. The diverse student population represents 64.4% African-America and 15.8% Hispanic as itís largest ethnicities.
yeah but what the statics on greater houston schools? and it look like houston has the lowest average i didn't know that

Old 12-14-2007, 04:35 PM

9,606 posts, read 9,559,252 times
Houston may have the lowest average, but not by much. And the cost of living is much lower. Where Chicago really beats Houston, for example is salary growth. A teacher with 20 years experience in Chicago probably makes about $15 to 20,000 a year more.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:51 PM

7,725 posts, read 18,224,071 times
^ ^ Yeah the lowest average out of all those big cities. It also has the lowest average of those cities in terms of cost of living. (It's about on par with the national average.)

Two 22-23 year old graduate teachers fresh outta college, making combined $80k a year can easily afford the payment on a decent, 2000 sq ft house and two new cars (like his & her Honda Civics) here. So long as they have stellar credit and budget accordingly. You absolutely cannot say that about the other cities that "pay their teachers better."

Old 12-15-2007, 12:50 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,500,790 times
What you'll probably need to do is go to each school district's website and look up this info yourself. There are many school districts in the Greater Houston area. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...cts_in_Houston

I could be wrong, but I think the pay is slightly better at HISD because they know they're competing with the more popular suburban school districts. Plus teachers get these crazy performance bonuses based on standardized test results now that I don't agree with, but YMMV.

Salary schedules for HISD:
http://www.houstonisd.org/portal/sit...0028147fa6RCRD

Last edited by neotextist; 12-15-2007 at 01:02 AM..

Old 12-16-2007, 11:18 AM

410 posts, read 1,066,189 times
Besides beginning salaries look into benefits given and if your district contributes into Social Security. What may seem a good beginning salary may be offset by benefits. Considering what other districts give Houston ISD benefits are not too bad.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:04 AM

23 posts, read 56,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I understand salaries are roughly $40,000 for 9 months for a new grad. Add about a $500-1,000 raise for each year afterwards. I also understand health/dental/other insurance are quite expensive. My teacher friend tells me his insurance for a family is up around $700/mo. Really depends on district. Those are just ballpark figures.
I am moving from Kansas and will be living and working in the Katy district next year. Ins packages for my 3 children are very reasonable! The best (most expensive) deal was about $350. for myself and 3 children. It is more exensive if you are including a spouce. I did a lot of research before interviewing and I found Katy, Cypress, and Fort Bend good options to work in and to educate my own children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston