Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 02:15 PM

72 posts, read 67,036 times

Advertisements

My family will be visiting Sugar Land next week (over the July 4th weekend) and thought we could spend a day going out of the Houston area. At first we thought Galveston, but given the holiday, think maybe going somewhere else would be better. Is the drive too much for a day trip to San Antonio or Austin? Any other choices? Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 02:56 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,041 times
This question has been asked before. Galveston is a dump anyways. San Antonio is pretty boring too. Once you have seen the Alamo and walked the River Walk for a little bit there is nothing else. I think Austin is much cooler. I would also recommend Gruene and the New Brausnfels area. Austin is 2.5 hours and SA is about 3.5 hours. New Bransufels and Gruene are about 3 hours. If I were you I would do a triangle of either SA/Gruene or Austin/Gruene. There are other cool little towns like Wimberly. What is your approx age? Who will you be day tripping with? Might help us better give you suggestions.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:13 PM

Thank you for the reply. I did actually google this question regarding some of the choices and saw some replies, but they were from a few years back so I didn't know if anything had changed. The group will be a 53 yr old mom and her 19 and 23 yr old young adults. We are originally from the East Coast. Daughter loves history, son, the outdoors and cool urban spaces, mom just likes hanging with the kiddos seeing new things! I will check into Wimberly and the triangles you mentioned.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:33 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
This question has been asked before. Galveston is a dump anyways. San Antonio is pretty boring too. Once you have seen the Alamo and walked the River Walk for a little bit there is nothing else. I think Austin is much cooler. I would also recommend Gruene and the New Brausnfels area. Austin is 2.5 hours and SA is about 3.5 hours. New Bransufels and Gruene are about 3 hours. If I were you I would do a triangle of either SA/Gruene or Austin/Gruene. There are other cool little towns like Wimberly. What is your approx age? Who will you be day tripping with? Might help us better give you suggestions.
Galveston is "not" a dump. Just because somebody got dumped there, does not forever make it a dump!

If you are just talking about 1 day, Galveston is it. You really need a weekend for San Antonio or Austin.

Hey OP how about the Texas Independence Trail

Independence Trail Region | Participant in the Texas Historical Commission's Texas Heritage Trails Program

https://www.texashighways.com/histor...pendence-trail

or perhaps you would like a little wine with your tour.

Texas Independence Wine Trail

Old 06-25-2014, 03:46 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
Galveston has a load of history with multiple museums and ghost tours, etc. But yeah some of it is run down. Actually a lot of it is run down. There's some great stuff there, but it can be a mixed bag.

The New Braunfels/Gruene/Wimberly idea is great, but you need a few days there. Fredericksburg and Boerne are great, too if you are going that direction. Luckenbach would be great for out-of-town guests to experience Texas.

How about Brenham and Washington Tx? There's a great Texas history museum The Birthplace of Texas - Washington-On-The-Brazos and there are fireworks and an old time parade (horses, bulls, old timey firetrucks) in Independence, Tx. The shut off the only street in the town and have a street party. They serve beer, but the crowd is really laid back and all ages. Plus there's Bluebell Creamery! http://visitbrenhamtexas.com/

Old 06-25-2014, 04:21 PM

My daughter and I just looked at the NB/G/W area...my goodness how pretty those areas are! I wish we had more time! We will have to plan for another trip that isn't over a major holiday next. We fly into the area on July 2 but were thinking that we could do some other areas on Sat or Sun. Maybe a 3 hr each way trip is a bit too much for a day. Checking out Washington and Brenham next...Thank you all!

Old 06-25-2014, 04:25 PM

256 posts, read 321,027 times
Here is a show I always like watching and gives a few ideas for daytrips. Makes me home sick every time I watch:

Episodes | The Daytripper

Old 06-25-2014, 04:40 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,041 times
You have time for sure to go to Austin or New Braunsfels for a day trip. If you get an early start and come home a night you can for sure. I have done it before. There is also a monster outlet mall just north of New Brausfels. I know an outlet mall seems lame, but it is triple the size of most. I stand by that Galveston is a dump. You can go to the strand and see a few things. There is Moody Gardens. You can go to a few decent places to eat there. The beach is dirty and brown. I would add in NASA to that trip if you plan to do it. New Braunsfels will be packed for the 4th though. The big thing to do there is float the river which is really fun!

Old 06-25-2014, 09:11 PM

860 posts, read 1,585,772 times
Galveston will be super crowded on the July 4th weekend and the traffic will be horrible. My suggestion is to opt for the Brenham area, Washington-on-the-Brazos, Schulenberg. Check out the Painted Churches in the vicinity. Maybe take a picnic -- check online for parks in the area. If for some reason you want spend the day in Houston, go to the MFAH, HMNS, the Menil -- cool air conditioning with great new exhibits.

It takes a weekend to experience the Hill Country or San Antonio properly and actually enjoy things. Of course, if one finds Texas' unique history boring and scenic areas are best seen at 70mph, you could easily go thee and back in a day and still get a full night's sleep.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:11 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk08 View Post
Galveston will be super crowded on the July 4th weekend and the traffic will be horrible. My suggestion is to opt for the Brenham area, Washington-on-the-Brazos, Schulenberg. Check out the Painted Churches in the vicinity. Maybe take a picnic -- check online for parks in the area. If for some reason you want spend the day in Houston, go to the MFAH, HMNS, the Menil -- cool air conditioning with great new exhibits.

It takes a weekend to experience the Hill Country or San Antonio properly and actually enjoy things. Of course, if one finds Texas' unique history boring and scenic areas are best seen at 70mph, you could easily go thee and back in a day and still get a full night's sleep.
Houston is an excellent suggestion for a day trip kinda like a reverse commute, since everybody will be heading to Galveston or the Hill country for the weekend. They have a new Bug House at the Houston Zoo and all the museums should satisfy any history or cool urban space curiosity you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston