Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 06:03 PM

453 posts, read 1,535,413 times

Advertisements

I have tried in vain to search the forums for information regarding Columbus, but I keep getting irrelevant results (even in the Houston forum, it comes back with a ton of OH results).

My husband has a very promising job offer in Columbus, one which requires him to live close by, so we would likely settle in town.

I'm confused because for a town of 3000ish people, the crime rate for things like theft and burglaries are high. I'm not sure why this is.

(I've lived in a smaller town than Columbus before and I loved rural/small town living, so we'll be OK there. Well, except that there isn't a Target for like 45 minutes. I have now had a Target within a 6 minute drive for a decade lol)

I know that Columbus has a Catholic School and the public schools, what is the take on them?

What is the general consensus on the town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 06:08 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
I've never heard of Columbus but google informs me it's a flyspeck town off of I-10 between Houston and San Antonio for those who were curious.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:22 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
Well that town is kind of worn down. I am not surprised by the crime rate. There may be nice areas outside of the town itself. Lagrange used to be a nice town. I haven't stopped there in a while so I couldn't tell you for sure. But that wouldn't be a long commute. If you truly love small town living look up nearby Fayetville. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,474 times
I just drove through LaGrange yesterday and picked up the town newspaper. The crime report included things like two buzzards fighting over a dead squirrel. There were some slightly more serious crimes, but I thought how nice it would be to live in such a low crime area. There was a listing of all 17 Fayetteville High School graduates, and a picture of 6 of them who had received a scholarship. Based on the clean cut looking kids in the photo I thought Fayetteville may be a pleasant area to live in as well. It sounds like both those communities, which are not far from Columbus, would be worth checking into.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:54 PM

123 posts, read 199,515 times
I have been through there quite a bit as it sits right on the interstate. If you are going to San Antonio or Austin from West Houston you go right by Columbus.

It's only a 40 minute drive from Katy. I'm not sure what accounts for the crime rate though. It seems like a sleepy little town to me. There is a fair amount of commercial development close to the I-10 exit (Walmart and such) And it has the makings of a nice downtown with a big courthouse. It's a little run down, but there is some promise there.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:16 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
My aunt and uncle lived in the older part of Columbus until they passed away. Always seemed like a nice older town to me. I liked visiting there. Wasn't much there in terms of big time shopping. Plus seems a bit closer to come to shop in places like Katy so you could have some houston amenities. Their neighbor worked in Katy and commuted daily. The Catholic Church in nearby mentz has an annual BBQ that is fun to go to for some good food and an environment like a long ago era - just old wholesome family outing. Like stepping back 40 years at that BBQ.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:25 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
Fayetteville is different and in a good way. You have to go out of the way to get there. It is tiny, but has an actual well-kept town square. They recently had chamber music on their town square, and I was planning to go, but ended up with a brief visit to the ER instead. They also advertise monthly acoustic jam sessions in their square. I was once reading reviews about a B&B there (or maybe it was the hotel), and some people said there are no locks on the doors in the B&B. No need for them. I am not sure if that was an exaggeration or not. Anyway that place seems like my speed, although yeah I would miss Target, Fry's, Fresh Market, etc...

Old 06-08-2014, 03:23 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,839 times
Lagrange still has some old money (from what I have no clue) and some old beautiful homes. Compared to Houston prices I bet they are dirt cheap too. Drove through there getting off the highway on route to Austin and rather liked the drive.

All Houstonians know of Columbus is a truck stop off the highway. I'd have to get some real lux job offer to even consider moving there

Old 06-08-2014, 05:03 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Tour About Town

Columbus Chamber of Commerce

They have a town square but I haven't been to it in years so don't know how active it is or not. They have a lot of old historic homes that have been renovated near the colorado river. Trying to think of some of the street names in that old section. Its a bit away from I-10.

Not sure what Eagle Lake or Weimer or like but either would be close to Columbus as well.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:35 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
Lagrange still has some old money (from what I have no clue) and some old beautiful homes. Compared to Houston prices I bet they are dirt cheap too. Drove through there getting off the highway on route to Austin and rather liked the drive.

All Houstonians know of Columbus is a truck stop off the highway. I'd have to get some real lux job offer to even consider moving there

Don't forget the Dairy Queen on the way to Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston