U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-07-2009, 05:36 PM

11,595 posts, read 11,274,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Didn't Houston have a Goldilocks before (my memory says around 15 years ago)? My mom keeps calling Gold Ribbon Goldilocks because it was Goldilocks before they moved across the street and became Gold Ribbon.

What did you expect in that run-down business district with a former mall across from it? The former location (around the corner from my old house in Alief) is a much better geographic location than the duplicative Westwood. I don't get why Filipinana is so popular, maybe it's by default since there isn't much in town to offer (or compete with).
Houston has never had a Goldilocks. If it ever did it would still exist to this very day. I think the local Filipino community in Houston is large enough now it could actually support a Goldilocks or Jollibee like they have in Cali. & Philippines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-07-2009, 06:26 PM

2,971 posts, read 5,261,821 times
There are actually rumors floating around the diplomatic community that Houston may once again get a Consulate in the next few years with the influx of Filipinos into the southern states and in particular into Houston's and Rio Grande Valley medical community. The east, west, midwest areas all have consular offices yet there is nothing servicing the south.

I'd be willing to bet that if an office were opened here, we might see a Goldilocks, Red Ribbon or Jollibee opening its doors.

Unread 01-12-2009, 08:11 PM

819 posts, read 1,011,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston has never had a Goldilocks. If it ever did it would still exist to this very day. I think the local Filipino community in Houston is large enough now it could actually support a Goldilocks or Jollibee like they have in Cali. & Philippines.
There was a Goldilocks in Houston back in the early 1980s. There were some...problems later and the name had to be changed. I don't know if it was part of the chain but I recall the logo looked the same. My uncle played for the Goldilocks recreational basketball team in Houston back then too.

The growth of the Filipino community and its commercial offerings has certainly been dynamic here in Houston...but I don't yet see Jollibee being supported quite yet. It really is not good fast food...it's just kitsch that caters to Filipinos who long for their home outlets. When I lived in National City, CA...it was just Filipinos that ate there.

Chow King in the USA is pretty deplorable but in Manila...it offered quite delicious fare and larger menu.

I'm of Filipino ancestry but I practically never ate at Jollibee's. I'm more of a Whataburger or Carl's Jr. guy, if ever I do eat fast food.

Unread 01-12-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
now you can measure how much the Houstonians exagerrate and mislead with their 'Houston is as good as any other major city' outlook. its true most filipino restaurants here suck big time. I cant even think of one filipino food and service as bad as these in NJ/NY. they cant even do adobo right. I think one problem here is that people dont live in (2nd floor of ) their restaurants that helps in keeping the Filipino restaurant ambiance
I suggest you skip the Malaysian foods here too.

While Filipino food here in Houston is not good as what I've had in Southern California...at least Houston does have a good number of Filipino restaurants! Try finding that many in Boston where they practically have none. In Phoenix, for a city so close to Cali, there are not many choices there at all. Tampa has less quite less than Houston.

So it's all relative. The problem with you Wysi, is than when Houston comes up, you are so eager to put it down right away.

Besides...Filipino food is not even a culinary barometer for a city; when it comes to Vietnamese, Pakistani and Nigerian food (foods that are more interesting)...don't even put New York in Houston's class.

Houston put Vietnamese food on the US culinary map according to NY food critic John Mariani (he who says you can always count Houston in being a top 10 US restaurant city thought he usually puts H-town at 6 or 7 annually, not bad). Not NY, not LA, not San Fran but Houston that put Viet food on the US map. So Houston does have its gastronomic merits.

Unread 01-13-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
Houston put Vietnamese food on the US culinary map according to NY food critic John Mariani (he who says you can always count Houston in being a top 10 US restaurant city thought he usually puts H-town at 6 or 7 annually, not bad). Not NY, not LA, not San Fran but Houston that put Viet food on the US map. So Houston does have its gastronomic merits.
I assume he is talking about restaurants like Kim Son, Mai's, or Ocean Palace & not the hole in the wall places which are in reality THE BEST places hands down to eat.

Unread 01-13-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I assume he is talking about restaurants like Kim Son, Mai's, or Ocean Palace & not the hole in the wall places which are in reality THE BEST places hands down to eat.
Indeed...I still vouch Que Huong there on Wilcrest/Beechnut as THE best Vietnamese cafe in town, at least for me. Dang, that place is so good.

But yeah, Mariani cited Kim Son as the place that "put Houston on the map" as far as US Vietnamese food in 1993 (Esquire, December issue) when it was listed among the best restaurants of America that year. Kim Son's dim sum is actually quite good for a gentrified chain.

Unread 01-13-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
Kim Son's dim sum is actually quite good for a gentrified chain.
I tried their newest location on Bellaire for some Dim Sum one Sunday & its actually VERY good. The HUGE ballroom style eating area was packed at every table & service still maintained top notch. I as well as you probably know great service at most Asian restaurants is hard to come by.

Shutting down the Westheimer location & opening on Bellaire with Dim Sum to boot was a very smart business move on their part.

Unread 04-09-2009, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,946 times
Hi [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/members/jerome1970-45066.html"]jerome1970[/URL],

Saw your list of Filipino Stores in your Area.
Maybe you can send me a list and I can post in Igustoko.com.
New Filipino Community that just got started.
Any new business to add make it better for the filipino community since they are spread out all over the place. Thanks
Rob

Unread 08-05-2009, 09:01 AM

3,430 posts, read 6,428,246 times
I need some Filipino caregivers to work in a care home. Anyone have suggestions on the best place to put a job ad that would reach the Filipino community?

Unread 08-11-2009, 05:48 AM

84 posts, read 204,671 times
there is jollibee in San Diego, Ca.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston