Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 05:29 AM

49 posts, read 206,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by megami76 View Post
Hey, Kaimuki -- I'm American born myself (but only 1/2 Filipina). I don't speak Tagalog, but I understand it.

Are you going to miss musubi or what? :-) If we end up moving out there in the next few months, my first stop is going to be the Pinoy food store to stock up.
hey megami! you coming from cali? if so...bring some jollibeeeeeeeeeee!!!

hehehe...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 11:53 AM

5,638 posts, read 6,516,173 times
Quote:
Hey, Kaimuki -- I'm American born myself (but only 1/2 Filipina). I don't speak Tagalog, but I understand it.

Are you going to miss musubi or what? :-) If we end up moving out there in the next few months, my first stop is going to be the Pinoy food store to stock up.
I love to grind musubi. When we move to Houston I will just have to make my own...if I can find nori (seaweed) of course. I can make some Filipino food, but I prefer when someone else who's good at it does it.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:14 PM

200 posts, read 1,067,180 times
Houston's got a good supply of Japanese and Korean grocery supplies as well My wife cooks up pretty much everything she wants from her japanese cook book
The Filipino pork and chicken barbeque, hotdogs, meatloaf, relleno, fatty pork chops, spicy sweet spaghetti meat sauce, spicy/regular bagoong, all the cooking mixes, banana ketsup, mang tomas, lady's choice, pancit, dinuguan, lumpia, langoniza, tapa, tocino LOL etc etc are all available. Tilapia/pla-pla is standard for vietnamese. I even saw santol, atis and lanzones (thai import). Also saw crablets but haven't tried. They're more accesible from the SW side of course

Old 06-26-2008, 12:56 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,516,173 times
...my mouth is really watering now, all I have in front of me is
pan de sol.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayato View Post
Houston's got a good supply of Japanese and Korean grocery supplies as well My wife cooks up pretty much everything she wants from her japanese cook book
The Filipino pork and chicken barbeque, hotdogs, meatloaf, relleno, fatty pork chops, spicy sweet spaghetti meat sauce, spicy/regular bagoong, all the cooking mixes, banana ketsup, mang tomas, lady's choice, pancit, dinuguan, lumpia, langoniza, tapa, tocino LOL etc etc are all available. Tilapia/pla-pla is standard for vietnamese. I even saw santol, atis and lanzones (thai import). Also saw crablets but haven't tried. They're more accesible from the SW side of course
the korean and japanese grocery...do you get it near the memorial mall? close to long point? i think i saw one there but not sure...

Old 06-27-2008, 12:32 AM

200 posts, read 1,067,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtsinay View Post
the korean and japanese grocery...do you get it near the memorial mall? close to long point? i think i saw one there but not sure...
Yes. That's KoMart on Gessner. There is a new Korean store near the now-closed Fiesta. I believe it's called H-mart. There's another just behind the Sharpstown Mall. The only Japanese one I know is NipponDaido on Westheimer just outside the beltway, where I get my microwaveable kara-age

Old 06-27-2008, 12:37 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Wow, this is a helpful thread. I'm 1/2 Filipino and was wondering where I was going to get my Filipino food fix!

Anything out near the airport / Spring / the Woodlands?
There used to be two Pinoy restaurants on the northside of Houston, one off of Veterans Memorial called "Tuff Pinoy" which has been closed now for several years & another one I'm not sure if its still open closer to the airport in Humble off of 1960 & 59 in a strip mall center. Its kinda small, but it does have some groceries & baked goods along with a lunch buffet.

The best Pinoy places to eat in Houston are all near the Med Center (go figure). There are also a few near Chinatown on the far SW side of town off of Bissonett (Fillipinana) & another one located inside a newly built food court in the same shopping center as Viet Hoa grocery store which is off of Beechnut & Beltway 8.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayato View Post
Yes. That's KoMart on Gessner. There is a new Korean store near the now-closed Fiesta. I believe it's called H-mart. There's another just behind the Sharpstown Mall. The only Japanese one I know is NipponDaido on Westheimer just outside the beltway, where I get my microwaveable kara-age
i have to check the one in gessner...i usually pass it whenever we go to Korean Garden to eat....love that place by the way....

Sharpstown mall? hmmm....didn't know that...i might check it...hmmm

i love Nippon Daido...i used to go there a lot to buy their milk tea...but then they stopped selling them!

now...we need to have a big j-town here like san fran....i always go there whenever i can.... just love the food!!!!!

this is kind of a sad story..hehehe...i just got back from new zealand visiting a friend of mine...when someone asked me about the food there...i was like...'you know what? the best food i tasted there were mostly japanese food...'...hahahaha....

Old 06-27-2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
There used to be two Pinoy restaurants on the northside of Houston, one off of Veterans Memorial called "Tuff Pinoy" which has been closed now for several years & another one I'm not sure if its still open closer to the airport in Humble off of 1960 & 59 in a strip mall center. Its kinda small, but it does have some groceries & baked goods along with a lunch buffet.

The best Pinoy places to eat in Houston are all near the Med Center (go figure). There are also a few near Chinatown on the far SW side of town off of Bissonett (Fillipinana) & another one located inside a newly built food court in the same shopping center as Viet Hoa grocery store which is off of Beechnut & Beltway 8.
i was just thinking about that one in the food court by viet hoa....i still have to try that....hmmm...maybe this weekend...i want longsilog!

Old 06-27-2008, 01:02 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtsinay View Post
i was just thinking about that one in the food court by viet hoa....i still have to try that....hmmm...maybe this weekend...i want longsilog!
Their buffet is kinda small & limited, but the food is decent if you're out for a quick bite to eat after shopping Viet Hoa. The times I've eaten there they didn't seem overly friendly which came as a shock to me as most Fillipino people are very happy, accomodating people. I'm White & one of my best friends is Filllipino, his family is like my extended family & they treat me as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston